Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Ross Is A Grouchy Hateful Vile Human Being thread

Loss

I actually like JR, and in fact don't take this thread very seriously, but Bob's Observer interview was quite the eye opener. Not only is his Brawl for All explanation for Dave tremendously embarrassing for JR, but his admission that JR would request ass-whipping in the gorilla position was pretty damning. And although I would guess that is a practice that has been done forever in the business, its pretty stirring to have I said outright in public.

I would recommend the Bob Holly interview to everyone. Seriously, one of the best they've ever done and one that might endear you to the guy. He comes off incredibly likeable and even vulnerable, especially in mentioning that he always wanted to speak to Dave so that he would get to know the real Bob Holly since he always thought Dave didn't like him.

Is there a link or is it subscription only?

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that Oklahoma mostly mocked his Bell's Palsy and the BBQ thing that most of the public didn't know about, rather than having him be a pretend-babyface manipulator.

Hum... not exactly what I just saw. Ferrara was doing the Bell's Palsy face because it was JR's face........

So yeah, the Bell's Palsy face was not pretty, but when you're doing an impersonation it goes with the territory.

No. No it doesn't. There's a line between ripping someone's announcing/work/general douchiness and then mocking their illness and subsequent facial paralysis.

The sleaziness comes as much from WCW letting it on the air than Ed doing the impersonation. If it just existed as something that was a backstage off-camera thing to amuse the boys, that's one thing. It's entirely another when a huge corporate entity as Time Warner risks the kind of complaints they could well have gotten from it. AFAIK it only stirred uproar in the IWC and not in mainstream press, so in that sense WCW got away with it. But it tarnished a legacy that was on shaky ground to begin with.

• 3 months later...

From Meltz

The WWE's web site announced Jim Ross is retiring from the company to pursue other personal business endeavors.

Ross met with Vince McMahon today where the decision was made to end his run with the company, which had had a few stops and starts, dating back to the 1993 WrestleMania show.

The decision, which was made by McMahon, was first told to us by a source in the company that it was possible, if not likely on the day of SummerSlam, stemming from the now-infamous 2K Sports symposium where Ric Flair spoke at length about a variety of subjects.

Ross took heat from management for not cutting Flair off and keeping the symposium to what it was scripted to be. Even though it was a 2K Sports symposium, and 2K Sports people had no problem with Flair's behavior, those in WWE were not happy with certain subjects and how they were brought up.

Since nothing had happened for three weeks, many expected that the heat and blown over.

Damn, I had a dream last night where I actually talked with Jim Ross about his retirement, the most stressful period in his life (WCW ? WWF ? Mid-South ?), his collection of hats (WTF ?) and my favourite JR call ever, which was something to the effect of "Damn you Austin ! Dam you to hell !", which I'm pretty sure never actually happened. And JR was grumpy but pretty cool after we broke the ice.

Konnan made a good point on his show with Dave and Bryan, he mentioned that people in WWE have told him the main reason JR's let Vince treat him like a battered wife all this time is so he can keep their medical insurance to cover his Bell's Palsy treatments.

What I've never figured out is why does Vince seem to have such a boner for humiliating the guy? If he doesn't like Southern rasslin' type guys, why'd he hire him in the first place? It's not like he suddenly turned into an Okie after he joined the company.

My impression has always been that JR is a little more outspoken (similar to Heyman) than the usual stooge in management/creative. People like JR don't typically get to hang around for very long. But due to a variety of reasons, JR has been invaluable to the company and they were stuck with him. I think this is where the hatred/mocking comes from.

It's still sad and pathetic that JR isn't calling one of the main shows. I recall that Oklahoma Raw in October of 2011 when Laurenitis fired him on air. It was distasteful and embarrassing. I couldn't locate the quarter hour breakdown for the show but I recall the segment starting at around 5 million viewers and ending up losing over 500,000 viewers. Raw didn't get anywhere near 5 million viewers again for months. A perfect example of Vince's petty garbage turning off viewers.

I don't understand the reaction in some parts of the internet to the news of JR "retiring" (is that carny for being released) from WWE. The guy was employed for 20 years. What is he 60 something or close to it? I am sure JR has a nice TON of money sitting in the bank and most likely doesn't have to work for the rest of his life. Where is the tragedy? I should feel sorry for the millionaire who got to work in the business he loves for over 20 years while traveling the world ( I am sure after 1999 it was all first class air fare and good hotels)? Again, where is the tragedy?

I still don't understand why people feel bad for a millionaire 'being picked on' for an angle that he is apart of? WWE makes EVERYONE part of the show. Sometimes you are going to win championships and other times you are going to get thrown off a bridge. It's all a work and a JOB, why so serious when it comes to JR? What is it about JR that people think he should be the only one making a ton of money on-air and NOT show ass. Vince, Shane, and Stephanie have all showed ass on TV...who is JR and when did he become above pro wrestling?