Pro Wrestling Only

Alexa Bliss

Grimmas

I said: 

"Someone on twitter was discussing Alexa Bliss, so I'll throw her out there.

One of the better wrestlers of this generation at getting their character in ring. A great athlete with surprisingly impressive offense. The ability to work tags, babyface, and heel are all there."

I just can't see an argument for her. It'd be a stretch to call her a top 10 WWE women's wrestler of the last 10 years (4HW, Naomi, Io, Sane, Asuka, Ronda, Shayna at least all ahead of her), and that covers her whole career. Add in the men, and she's not a top 30 WWE wrestler of just the past 10 years, and I don't see that making a top 100 of all time. 

I think she's better as an interview/manager type character than a wrestler really. The only matches in her career I'd say are 'very good' are:

1. Alexa vs. Bayley - NXT TV 11/18/15
2. Alexa vs. Sasha Banks - Great Balls of Fire 07/09/17

Not really much of a portfolio, especially when it's arguably the #1 and #2 workers in the division at elevating lesser talent.

I'm also not a fan of how she wrestles like she's 7ft tall despite being one of the smallest in the division. Her match at Survivor Series 2017 where she's physically dominating Charlotte Flair and throwing her around just looked stupid.

I liked her early stuff from 2015-17, I think she was a good heel champion on Smackdown Live aided by that show being so well booked, and there's no-one better on the mic in that division at delivering the scripted promos and one-note angles they asked her to do.  The great balls of fire match with Sasha is very good, but I think that's about as good as it gets for her in-ring.  Kadaveri makes a good point about that Charlotte match, there were times where it would get unbelievable that the smallest woman on the roster was dominating and taking the lead on heat segments.  Her character work always leaned into being booked as a heel, but I think there were flashes there at times that she could of been a good babyface (teaming with Braun comes to mind) and got sympathy when facing some of the bigger acts in the division.  I don't see her as a candidate for GWE at all unless you're looking to make an all-woman list because the in-ring has been too weak, but she's near perfect for what WWE want in their womens wrestlers and that's why she's always had something to do for the last 5 years on the shows.

There's an alternative universe where Alexa is part of a fun tag team on the roster where she's the brains and does the talking, but her partner does the heavy lifting in matches, but instead we get the paedophile-bait angle she's doing with The Fiend.  She needs to learn to say no to things because I don't see her career ever returning to normal from this (unless that's what she wants to cut down her in-ring duties but still have a job in the company)

I don't want to be negative on a wrestler, but I can't stand her, I almost always fast forward her segments.  She has to be second coming of Jaguar in the next five years to crack my list.  She's certainly had some fun matches (I've liked her vs Sasha), but nothing great.  Maybe if I one of extremely creepy fans, I'd give her a vote, but I'm not.

Best actor in history, have you seen her last 6 months? She's been horrible. She's a good promo before that but even then there's a big gap between her and the top talkers of the industry. I remember they had her try to carry a This Is Your Life segment with Bayley and it was nearly as bad as this Fiend stuff.

In the ring she's got some athletic ability, but she's not even someone I would have ever considered even average overall. She's got value as a promo to a company as was said or the role had her with Nikki Cross which I thought was largely successful and a good use of her, but nowhere anywhere close to this list.

3 minutes ago, MoS said:

Is she really an impressive athlete? She isn't bad but I have never found her athleticism impressive

Maybe even an overstatement by me. I kinda liked those standing moonsault knees she does/used to do so that at least counts for something.

Alexa Bliss probably has some of the best character out of all the women that have come out of the PC. However, she is a completely unremarkable wrestlers once the belt rings and we get into the actual mechanics of the match. I am not sure if her positives are due to her being really good and outshining everyone or her being just slightly better than the other wrestlers that are focused more on in ring work than getting over.

Yeah. I think she is a talented personality and a solid wrestler. She has been given a lot of really terrible stuff over the years and she seems to go out and do the best she can with it. However, I don't see her as a contender for my list. Nothing away from her at all, but unless her next five years are other worldly I'm not going to spend too much time pondering her candidacy.

I decided to do a deep dive on Alexa to see if I was missing something as my opinion of her up to this point had been that she was nothing special. I watched every ppv match she had from her main roster debut up to the beginning of the pandemic and threw in some of her major tv matches for good measure.

The first thing that struck me is that, from the time she defeats Becky Lynch for the Smackdown title at TLC 2016 through when she loses to Ronda at Hell in a Cell 2018, she is arguably the top pushed female in WWE. During that time she is on every ppv as either a champion or challenging for a championship, something that cannot even be said of Charlotte. All this to say that she has many opportunities to produce great matches and she simply doesn't deliver. Her best matches are against Sasha at Great Balls of Fire and Ronda at Hell in a Cell, both of which I had at 3.5 stars. Predictably her best stuff comes against better workers like Bayley, Sasha, Becky and Ronda and she is unable to get much out of lesser workers. When she comes back from injury in 2019 and starts tagging with Nikki Cross she fades more into the middle of the pack and doesn't do much of note.

As others have pointed out, she is a pretty good athlete and is good at character stuff. She comes across in her matches as a mean girl and as a brat who throws tantrums when she doesn't get her way. She is able to use her environment very well, doing clever spots involving the ring apron and turnbuckles. Early in her run she was really bad at strikes. Several times she would be on top of an opponent and throwing punches that were coming several feet away from their faces. I suppose she gets a bit of a pass because she didn't have a ton of tv matches in NXT so she was essentially a rookie in 2016 and she did improve at striking eventually.

She only has a handful of signature spots. There is the twisting splash off the top rope, the sunset flip bomb, the thing where she stands on her opponent's back and stomps their head into the mat, the ddt and the thing where she jumps on her opponents with her knees then backflips onto them with her knees. When she was doing the knees spot early in her career it seemed like she was hitting it stiff and knocking the wind out of her opponent about 50% of the time. At some point someone must have told her to fix it because then she starts doing it and barely making contact at all and it looks like shit. She won many of her matches with the ddt, which is fine in theory but it was never over as her finisher so those matches always felt like the finish came out of nowhere, not in the RKO out of nowhere way but in the crowd is confused why she won with a measly ddt kind of way.

I have not done a deep dive on anyone else yet so I guess technically she is my #1 right now? But I can't imagine she could make my list. She will have to have a lot of great stuff in the future and it seems more likely she is winding her in ring career down.

2 hours ago, Manatee said:

I decided to do a deep dive on Alexa to see if I was missing something as my opinion of her up to this point had been that she was nothing special. I watched every ppv match she had from her main roster debut up to the beginning of the pandemic and threw in some of her major tv matches for good measure.

The first thing that struck me is that, from the time she defeats Becky Lynch for the Smackdown title at TLC 2016 through when she loses to Ronda at Hell in a Cell 2018, she is arguably the top pushed female in WWE. During that time she is on every ppv as either a champion or challenging for a championship, something that cannot even be said of Charlotte. All this to say that she has many opportunities to produce great matches and she simply doesn't deliver. Her best matches are against Sasha at Great Balls of Fire and Ronda at Hell in a Cell, both of which I had at 3.5 stars. Predictably her best stuff comes against better workers like Bayley, Sasha, Becky and Ronda and she is unable to get much out of lesser workers. When she comes back from injury in 2019 and starts tagging with Nikki Cross she fades more into the middle of the pack and doesn't do much of note.

As others have pointed out, she is a pretty good athlete and is good at character stuff. She comes across in her matches as a mean girl and as a brat who throws tantrums when she doesn't get her way. She is able to use her environment very well, doing clever spots involving the ring apron and turnbuckles. Early in her run she was really bad at strikes. Several times she would be on top of an opponent and throwing punches that were coming several feet away from their faces. I suppose she gets a bit of a pass because she didn't have a ton of tv matches in NXT so she was essentially a rookie in 2016 and she did improve at striking eventually.

She only has a handful of signature spots. There is the twisting splash off the top rope, the sunset flip bomb, the thing where she stands on her opponent's back and stomps their head into the mat, the ddt and the thing where she jumps on her opponents with her knees then backflips onto them with her knees. When she was doing the knees spot early in her career it seemed like she was hitting it stiff and knocking the wind out of her opponent about 50% of the time. At some point someone must have told her to fix it because then she starts doing it and barely making contact at all and it looks like shit. She won many of her matches with the ddt, which is fine in theory but it was never over as her finisher so those matches always felt like the finish came out of nowhere, not in the RKO out of nowhere way but in the crowd is confused why she won with a measly ddt kind of way.

I have not done a deep dive on anyone else yet so I guess technically she is my #1 right now? But I can't imagine she could make my list. She will have to have a lot of great stuff in the future and it seems more likely she is winding her in ring career down.

Well done!

I think I value playing a role more than having the great matches, I dont' see her making it now but in 5 years she could, if things role her way. She has a lot of potential.

I watched a few of her matches from early on in the pandemic but the empty arena was so alienating that I think I will probably ignore everything that happened in WWE during that time period when evaluating workers. Then I was curious if she is working different in her new gimmick so I started watching a Raw match vs Asuka from earlier this year. A few minutes in she threw Asuka to the floor and then she was riding a rocking horse in the ring so I turned that shit off real quick. Not going to add to her case at all while she is in such an embarrassing gimmick.