Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - July 20/22, 2022

MoS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ending is real weird because there's nowhere else for that feud to go after a War Games and a barbed wire deathmatch, so Eddie losing to massive amounts of fuckery, but throwing Jericho into the spider web doesn't seem like a satisfying ending for him.

Other than that, show was pretty rad.

I loved the main event despite the key bungle and the fact that the Painmaker character stinks. Jericho having his "dark spooky character who is kinda invulnerable " stinks. But the fact he needed help to win sort of speaks to the character being Jericho being a phony at heart. I may be nuts, but something tells me the final match between these two is gonna be Khan trying another exploding ring match to scrub that failure from his mind.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I may be nuts, but something tells me the final match between these two is gonna be Khan trying another exploding ring match to scrub that failure from his mind.

I mean, there's not much more they can do and Jericho has to lose the last match, he just has to (he actually lost the very first, which was the jumpstart point). Still, at this point they have way overdone the barb wire gimmick already, this match did not pop a rating at all. We're reaching the point of desensitization, and it's probably not the time to re-do the most extreme gimmick, especially when the last occurence did not exactly went well.

Brody King should be getting the push Wardlow is. He's about a hundred times better in every aspect.

Nah, Wardlow is perfect in the TNT Title picture. BK should be on the main event scene.

But yeah, Kingston never made Jericho tap and lost their 1v1 rematch. I don't see any reason to continue this, honestly. We are running in circles at this point - they have been feuding for nearly 5 months now.

Part of me would run an angle where Kingston has to join the JAS and Jericho tries to turn him into a sports entertainer before they have another match, but the JAS is too big already. 

Probably best to move on, at least for now. Maybe down the road have them meet in the finals of a tournament or some other event/match and put Kingston over then. 

That main event booking honestly bummed me out. Kingston unable to win after Jericho called him a loser, and then "getting his heat back" by throwing Jericho into the spider web, was a very modern WWE-esque way of trying to take the easy, cheap way out, and benefited none of them. I don't like faces whose gimmicks are that they just can't win the big ones. It puts a very firm midcard ceiling on them. Eddie Kingston is not Tommy fucking Dreamer. 

4 hours ago, MoS said:

That main event booking honestly bummed me out. Kingston unable to win after Jericho called him a loser, and then "getting his heat back" by throwing Jericho into the spider web, was a very modern WWE-esque way of trying to take the easy, cheap way out, and benefited none of them. I don't like faces whose gimmicks are that they just can't win the big ones. It puts a very firm midcard ceiling on them. Eddie Kingston is not Tommy fucking Dreamer. 

Pretty much this. I came here to say that this is the most I have been upset by an AEW finish so far. This was the moment, they screwed it up, and now even if they do try another blow off for Eddie to win I am going to care 90% less. Really hated it.

7 hours ago, MoS said:

All I could think about was Dreamer and that shouldn't be Eddie's story. I love long feuds. I want ONE MORE , and I want it in a " Last Battle Of Atlanta Cage Match!" Come on, TK you know you want to do it.

When you pride yourself on wins and losses and records mattering, you don't get to play the "I lost, but I stood tall afterward" card. I would say this eclipsed that Orange Cassidy-Matt Hardy lumberjack match as the worst-booked result of a major match in AEW history.

I wasn't happy about the result when I spoiled myself, but watching the match, first off it was just a terrific bloodletting that warmed my old FMW fan heart, the clusterfuck was fun because it actually was just that, with Tay not being able to open the cage and people just going through the bars (through WCW moment here !), and really now, Eddie got fucked seven ways to Sunday by the JAS. Win/Loss meaning something doesn't mean it's the be all/end all either in term of perception, as it's never been in pro-wrestling. Especially when really, the rankings make no sense whatsoever in relation to the win/loss ratio, which itself makes no sense because beating 20 jobbers on Dark should not equal beating 2 big names.

Watching the ending, with Jericho going to the spiderweb, shaking in convulsions (and doing a stretcher job later) while Eddie looks with a sadistic smile, although I would have rather Eddie win of course (I thought there was no way he wasn't winning), I did not think it was that bad in the end. Again, knowing the result in advance also allowed me to care more about enjoying the match itself than being focused with the booking. In the end, just a matter of perception. I really wonder if this is the end though, I don't see what more they could do after that one... 

Honestly Eddie losing is not even in the top 5 of what was wrong with this week of AEW. Between the awful tag team champ celebration (yeah, the cake shot looked good, but for fuck's sake), yet another waste of time of Christian Cage/Luchasaurus segment (Cage is really making the EZ money at this point) ending with a puzzling swerve, some NXT2.0 NPC who just got fired for failing a drug test showing up on TV (and looking crappy too, is there no quality control at all anymore about who shows up ?), Athena having to carry 3 person at the same time (gotta be honest, as much as I enjoyed Kiera Hogan in IMPACT, she has looked lost a lot on live TV), Acclaimed vs Gunn Club rap battle with WWE references galore, Claudio cutting a *brutal* promo (I love watching him in the ring, but never let him go alone without Regal to cut the promo for him), Rampage overall looking like a chopped up show with way too much segment for its duration... Like I said, I know they're in the rough right now with all those big name out with injuries, and they choose to build a ROH PPV with people who are not necessary over nor present (Briscoes anyone ?), but the last few weeks have had some really rough spots to me.

Loved Darby vs Brodie, Best Friends vs Mox & Yuta and most of the main event, and of course Dax promo, so it's not like there isn't some great stuff still (and three really good matches on Rampage too, and the Baker/Hayter squash was fun).

Feels like Jericho is cutting the legs out from underneath Eddie to be honest. I would guess he has enough leeway/status to be in management's ear here, just don't see a situation where anyone could think Kingston benefits from it

Its a shame really. I think for a while he was the best thing on their tv, now its all feeling a bit Sting at Spring Stampede 98 

Edit- i doubt this is actually the case but its how it feels. Really poor booking tbh

Kingston won their first singles match and they are 1 and 1 in big multiman match, so it isn't like Jericho is just taking this feud. I would have had Kingston win and end the feud, but they clearly have one more match they want to run. If Jericho wins that, I get the complaints, but they are clearly not finished with these two against each other.