Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Terry Funk

WingedEagle

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe that if you think of the entire essence of pro wrestling, in totality, however you choose to believe it, Terry Funk embodied that more than any other wrestler who ever did it. I never saw anyone do all the things he did. I saw some folks do certain things maybe better, but Terry did it ALL. And GREAT. There will never be another. 

Rest in power. 

Just yesterday, I was rewatching the time he got kicked by a horse while wrestling Chris Candido in a stable. What a career he had.

Truth be told, the writing was on the wall with the announcement that he had been placed in assisted living with dementia. And by all accounts, he wasn't the same after his wife died. Relieved isn't the right word, but I can take a measure of solace in the fact that his suffering is at an end.

Effortlessly charismatic and captivating. A guy who makes wrestling fun because he was always fun to watch. I mean, there's just a joy that one can have watching his work - especially personal favorites (the Flair matches in 89', for example) - that so very few other wrestlers have. 

He's on the very, very shortlist of best to ever have done it and, the older I get, the more and more I think he really might be the best. He made every feud, every story, every victory, and every loss feel REAL, like it really mattered, like it was always deeply personal. That didn't always result in great matches, but they still mattered because he was in them, even in the most ridiculous of circumstances like his last WCW years or the Chainsaw Charlie stuff. 

If there ever was a standard of what a complete performer is, Terry Funk is your guy. I'm completely stunned and sadden by this news. He's one if the reasons a nine year old me fell in love with ECW. My earliest memory of Funk was his barbed wire match with Sabu at 3am with my brother and mama then flowed to his older stuff, no surprise he was great with everything he did.

Rest In Paradise Funker.