Pro Wrestling Only

Who Is Better?

Dylan Waco

Yoshiaki Yatsu or Kurt Angle?

Yatsu during his peak was about a hundred times better than Angle. Then Yatsu could be really bad. So can Angle. Yatsu in a walk.

Dino Bravo or Stevie Ray?

Stevie Ray was useless his entire career. Dino Bravo was a good worker in his prime. I think he gets a bad rep for his WWF stint, and still, he had a very good match with Bret Hart as late as 1992, and that wasn't Hart working around a broomstick either.

Hiro Saito or Greg Valentine?

That's a tricky one. I do think Valentine gets the edge for having those great matches with Backlund.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha.

jdw - you did miss something though. Sheik / Zangiev is AS MUCH to do with their mustaches and funny faces as it is to do with their former ameuter careers.

Zangiev is the best shootstyle worker ever we'll never see. He showed so much potential in the few matches he worked in NJ. He was an awesome mat wrestler, he had a strong personnality. I can only shiver at the thought of big matches between Zangiev and Takada, Fujiwara, Yamazaki, Sano, Volk Han, Tamura...

Zangiev is the best shootstyle worker ever we'll never see. He showed so much potential in the few matches he worked in NJ. He was an awesome mat wrestler, he had a strong personality. I can only shiver at the thought of big matches between Zangiev and Takada, Fujiwara, Yamazaki, Sano, Volk Han, Tamura...

Zangiev worked a single against Takada, and a tag (with Hashimikov) against Yamazaki (with Anjo). Zangiev vs. Fujiwara or Tamura could have potentially ruled it hard!

Zangiev is the best shootstyle worker ever we'll never see. He showed so much potential in the few matches he worked in NJ. He was an awesome mat wrestler, he had a strong personality. I can only shiver at the thought of big matches between Zangiev and Takada, Fujiwara, Yamazaki, Sano, Volk Han, Tamura...

Zangiev worked a single against Takada, and a tag (with Hashimikov) against Yamazaki (with Anjo). Zangiev vs. Fujiwara or Tamura could have potentially ruled it hard!

Glad to know that ! Sometime someday, I'll get back into UWF-I.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd buy the Supertapes and Wrestlefests just to see the skits with Mooney and Hayes at the start of them.

Mooney was probably the worst play-by-play man ever to hold a mic, worse even than Okerlund.

I always thought he played that studio straight-man character PITCH PERFECT. He was slightly tongue-in-cheek in a way that someone like Tony Schiavone wasn't -- he had the tone of the 1966 Adam West Batman. He was basically a WWF parody of Tony Schiavone.

One of my favoruite 30-minutes of WWF ever is the countdown to Wrestlemania 9 presented by Mooney somewhere in the studios. His interactions with Titan Sports various minions while trying to play the clips is hilarious.

Mooney had comic timing, he had a wry and sardonic sense of humour. I am convinced he was intentionally "corny".

Todd Pettengill, on the other hand, whether he was intentionally annoying or just annoying, was borderline unwatchable at times. Where Mooney was the professional everyman, Pettingill was the loud, excitable teenager.

Mooney is probably the most underrated broadcaster in wrestling history.

Triple H or Antonio Inoki?

Both capable of enormous douchery, but Inoki's best performances blow Hunter's best stuff out of the water. And frankly, a cultural icon/lunatic with an affinity for dictators is a lot more interesting than a wannabe megalomaniac with delusions of old school credibility.

Sean Mooney or Todd Pettengill?

Is think like a Syphilis vs Clap question?

C'mon, Mooney is far from that bad. His old stuff can be perfectly fine or even somewhat entertaining, but Pettingill is literally unwatchable when he's not being reigned in Vince or JR on Action Zone. And was made worse by his female clone.

I loved how Stephanie used to get a sad droopy look on her face when trying to get over the storylines and then would go right back to her Kathie Lee Gifford/Marie Osmond amalgamation.

Todd was a local DJ up here (Albany/Schenectady) when I was growing up. Used to listen to him everyday on the way to school. As horrid as you could imagine

Sean Mooney or Todd Pettengill?

Is think like a Syphilis vs Clap question?

C'mon, Mooney is far from that bad. His old stuff can be perfectly fine or even somewhat entertaining, but Pettingill is literally unwatchable when he's not being reigned in Vince or JR on Action Zone. And was made worse by his female clone.

I'm trying to remember Pettingill on Mania/LiveWire and if I thought he was a decent host for a highlight show. Suspect it was more likely early Cole where I thought it was a very good role for him relative to the interviewer role on Raw that transitioned into a spot at the table.

It's also quite possible that I hated Gene Okerland so much as the host of All American Wrestling that I tolerated Pettingill on Mania/LiveWire as an alternative that he seemed "passable".

Mooney just struck me as yet another of the WWF's shitty announcers in the 80s / early 90s. If you're going to be shitty, at least entertain me with your shittiness like Kal Rudman and Dick Graham did. :)

John

Both hail from a mountain range?

Haha, that's a good one. But no.

Both capable of enormous douchery, but Inoki's best performances blow Hunter's best stuff out of the water. And frankly, a cultural icon/lunatic with an affinity for dictators is a lot more interesting than a wannabe megalomaniac with delusions of old school credibility.

Counterpoint: if you're looking at douchery, burying Booker T is pretty far removed from making a deal with a dictator to bring 150,000 starving peasants to your show at gunpoint.

I loved how Stephanie used to get a sad droopy look on her face when trying to get over the storylines and then would go right back to her Kathie Lee Gifford/Marie Osmond amalgamation.

Todd was a local DJ up here (Albany/Schenectady) when I was growing up. Used to listen to him everyday on the way to school. As horrid as you could imagine

Todd has a radio show in New York now. Still pretty fucking terrible.

I think Big Show is better than Kane in every way. I have softened a bit on Kane in terms of the big picture, but he's still one of my least favorite guys on the roster. Matt is right about Mayweather, but it goes beyond that. I can't imagine Kane having the kind of quality match Show had with Bryan this week for example. Even if you like Kane I think it's hard to argue that he's not one dimensional. Show is actually far less one dimensional than you would expect a guy his size to be