Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yea joe, i'm in the camp that says it's ridiculous to induct any active wrestlers, at least until they're at the phase of their career where they're just living off nostalgia at indie shows or such. i wouldn't be sold on tanahashi right now because i'd want to see what new japan looks like 10 years from now, considering how much his candidacy relies on the savior narrative.

EDIT: i do recall yohe putting tanahashi on his ballot without watching him, and admitting it was based on meltzer's writing about him. that's the sort of thing we mean here.

I can prove Hulk Hogan is a better draw than Abyss.

Nobody can prove either is a better worker.

Unless you go by the definition some wrestlers have given of a worker - whoever drew the most fans.

By that standard, Hogan outworked the living hell out of Abyss (and most everyone else).

The IWC definition of a worker is impossible to prove, and the Meltzer version of the term IMO values certain things that favor certain types of wrestlers and specific styles.

And i think i could explain with examples why Jerry Lawler is a great wrestler. If you can do the same, explaining why he sucks, with examples from his peak, that would be more interesting to me. Having said that, I am not interested in talking Tanahashi or Lawler with you. I have a list of ten other wrestlers I would rather discuss.

Also Meltz confirmed that he will break his attending Mania rule next year.

I wonder if the WWE will shoot some video w/Dave for the Network since they will be out in his area for a week. I remember him saying if they asked he wouldn't be opposed to do some talking head segments if he could work it into his schedule on his podcast within the last couple of months.

Don't remember the Foley one, that's amazing. Didn't a scan (or mockup) of an Observer show up on the Pillman DVD?

If WWE gets Dave to do talking head pieces, they might edit it like on the Simpsons when Homer did that TV interview during his sexual harassment accusation.

This was the same episode where Groundskeeper Willie was dubbed "'Rowdy' Roddy Peeper" by the tabloid show, correct?

Don't remember the Foley one, that's amazing. Didn't a scan (or mockup) of an Observer show up on the Pillman DVD?

If WWE gets Dave to do talking head pieces, they might edit it like on the Simpsons when Homer did that TV interview during his sexual harassment accusation.

This was the same episode where Groundskeeper Willie was dubbed "'Rowdy' Roddy Peeper" by the tabloid show, correct?

Yep, almost forgot about that.

If anybody has an Observer subscription, listen to the Todd Martin show with Bryan, even if you don't normally. They're going through old '82 Observer's starting about half an hour in, and there's highlights like Dave's star ratings for various promotions, the top TV shows for '82, Jim Duggan being rated a better wrestler than Ted DiBiase, and somebody writing in complaining that there's too many Japanese & Mexican wrestlers on the Dave's top 150 wrestlers list (Spoiler Alert - No Backlund on the list at all! Sweet Justice for Parv!), and somebody else (I think) also complaining that Gagne & Brunzell was only ranked #75 and #81 - maybe it's Dylan writing in via time travel!

But it involves CAPITAL T~! Todd Martin. Not sure I can do it.

Is he that bad? I find Alvarez more annoying than him.
The impression of Todd comes from people reading his Raw reviews. It is a pretty dated impression.
Nah. I doubt I have even read more than one or two of them. Why would I care what anyone on that wesbsite not named Dave Meltzer thinks of Raw? It's because he comes across as a complete douche on the shows with Bryan. Like almost as unlistenable as Lance Storm.

But it involves CAPITAL T~! Todd Martin. Not sure I can do it.

Is he that bad? I find Alvarez more annoying than him.
The impression of Todd comes from people reading his Raw reviews. It is a pretty dated impression.
Nah. I doubt I have even read more than one or two of them. Why would I care what anyone on that wesbsite not named Dave Meltzer thinks of Raw? It's because he comes across as a complete douche on the shows with Bryan. Like almost as unlistenable as Lance Storm.

Storm's a problem too? I find him enjoyable enough. A bit dry, but he usually comes up with booking suggestions to improve Raw on the fly that make sense....

I still can't forgive him for railroading the SMW Cornette podcast. I thought Cornette was going to get to talk about the entire promotion including successes and failures. Instead it was an hour of Jim defending the New Jack angle against Todd Martin.

That does sound annoying alright.