Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave in the last observer radio declared the six divas match on RAW the worst 1 minute match of all time. Apparently all Rosa Mendes's fault although I didn't watch the match.

It could very well be, especially given the "uncommon" back and forth offense in a match this short, as opposed to a Goldberg-type squash. Layla messed up getting a whip and countered by giving Rosa a very weak kick. This "match" felt like it was added at the last minute to "promote" Total Divas, with the double jobber intros and rush job.

Also agree with what Dave said about AJ giving the belt back without any sort of struggle. I may go more into this segment in the Current WWE thread.

Bryan's Ice Bucket video is tremendous:

(in before "better booked than current WWE" comments)

Tremendous!

How can anyone hate on Alvarez? That was great

I'm sure he's a nice enough person but I find him insufferable.

That voice, the pointless, erratic change of pitch, his long winded rambling.......

I like Bryan when he's not put in a position to actually have to know things. The Bryan and Vinny shows are fun for just two friends talking about wrestling. It's when he tries to debate Dave that he ends up looking bad.

I initially hated them but now I look forward to the Bryan & Vinny Shows. They've made watching the Clash cards on the Network so much more entertaining for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tanahashi/Shibata from Destruction got five stars, with the caveat that he really didn't like how hard they were hitting each other. I liked the match, probably would have it around ***3/4 - ****. I would have enjoyed it more without the New Japan excesses like no-selling suplexes and long, boring forearm exchanges. Thought the Jr Heavyweight title match from the same show was maybe better.

Tanahashi/Shibata from Destruction got five stars, with the caveat that he really didn't like how hard they were hitting each other. I liked the match, probably would have it around ***3/4 - ****. I would have enjoyed it more without the New Japan excesses like no-selling suplexes and long, boring forearm exchanges. Thought the Jr Heavyweight title match from the same show was maybe better.

I've only gotten to Kushida vs Taguchi on that show but this ***** came out of left field. Haven't seen anyone else with that rating or a ground swell contacting Dave telling him it was *****. Most reviews had it at ****.

Was the stiffness unusually bad like he said?

I didn't think it was anything totally out of the ordinary, particularly for a Shibata match. I might be wrong but I get the impression the stiffness in that match struck Meltzer so much because it involved Tanahashi. Meltzer has made a big deal recently about Tanahashi's body breaking down and working through a bunch of lingering injuries. I think the stiffness might have stuck out to him more since it was Tanahashi on the receiving end.

Agreed that the ***** rating for that match is pretty nutty. I can usually understand why Meltzer rated a match what he did by reading his description. I may not agree with it, but I can see what he might have saw in it. With this match, it was like he watched something completely different from what I (and seemingly most everyone else) watched.

I also wonder if he watched it twice before giving it the rating? Dave watched the show live (this match would have been around 3:00 AM PT) and did live coverage of the show for his site. Like we all know, you can watch a match at a certain time, in a certain mood, and with/without distractions and all of that can impact what you think about it. I would sort of be surprised if he watched it twice and came to the same conclusion.

Dave has some weird views on Japanese wrestling. Here's what he had to say about guys kicking out of finishers at one:

It's awesome.

It's about crossing up what you expect and therefore taking you into the realm of feeling it be more real.

I used to have long discussions with Brody about the psychology of wrestling in Japan and while that wasn't done in his day, it fit right into his mentality about work, work, work, shoot, holy shit, it's real, crowd wakes up, goes to the next sense because Japanese fans in the 80s were so far ahead of U.S. fans because of all the media coverage.

Of course, it all comes back to Brody.

For what it's worth, it's not my favorite thing in the world, but it does work when it's done well. But Dave's argument is completely nutty. Just how stupid does he think Japanese fans are? Does he really think they thought, even for a second, that Ibushi was shooting on Nakamura when he kicked out of the Boma Ye at one? Plus, his explanation sounds suspiciously similar to Vince Russo's booking philosophy.

I don't think he means real as in a shoot, but real as in suspension of disbelief. It's easier to get lost in the moment when you can't predict exactly how a match is going to go. You don't know what's going to happen next. People generally pop for finisher kickouts because they expected the match to end with the finisher and all of a sudden it didn't, which is exciting.

Of course, the argument doesn't hold much water when he's talking about New Japan and the finishers that get kicked out of every match. Kicking no longer feels unexpected in that way.

Not only is it overused, but a common spot is for one guy to kick out at one, hit a move on the other guy who then kicks out at one. Few things feel faker than that to me. It's just another form of the tough man bullshit that gives us guys taking turns to no-sell forearms to the face.

NJPW isn't the only offender. Almost every big WWE match, especially those at WrestleMania, have that bullshit with wrestlers kicking out of finishers. It's one of the trends I can't stand, because it's no longer exciting and it feels like an overdone, worn out cliche at this point.

I would love for the next trend in wrestling matches to be for matches to end on protected non-finishers. I think fans today are trained to "know" that matches only end via finisher or via outside interference, so a match ending in a way fans aren't expecting could be really memorable if done correctly. Similar to how I feel the Lesnar/Cena match from SummerSlam will be seen as memorable just because WWE main events have never really been extended 10 minute squashes.