Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

I don't like stupid people who think they're clever, and Roy Nelson is dumber than a box of rocks. Did you not see the season he coached on The Ultimate Fighter? He's not just stupid, he's like...scary stupid. I don't much care for Dana White or buy into 99% of the shit he says, but he's right on the money when it comes to his opinion on Roy Nelson. I believe he has invoked Ron White when it comes to Nelson...specifically - you can't fix stupid.

The guy has a brilliant mind for the fight game, it shines through anytime he talks strategy and game planning. The rest, well, he's managed to build himself a brand that sells fights, shirts, appearances, etc., not sure what's stupid about that?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would that be the "brand" which he has complained he can't find any sponsors for? He has given interviews whining that he can't get big name sponsors like other UFC fighters. Of course he claims that is because they take steroids.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that he's a fat load with a mullet and a beard like a deranged hobo. Yeah, companies should actually be lining up to sponsor him or want him as a spokesperson.

Dave was also talking this week about someone in WWE sending him footage of a 2002-ish dark match where Lesnar successfully did his Shooting Star Press. There are a few frequently-discussed instances of people sending him something in order to confirm it happened, but I don't think it's as if he has some huge stockpile of unseen matches laying around.

Why would WWE supply him with footage that none of us will probably see? I know hes a writer/Journalist but this just seems a odd thing for WWE to do given that footage happened over a decade ago and its not like it will fit in with his newsletter. People who work in WWE request stuff and they never get their requests filled ie the NXT guys.

The dominance of New Japan is evident here, with eight of the top 11 coming from the promotion. And if anything, that’s been a hindrance to New Japan, not a help. There were multiple matches in the G-1, and throughout the year on big shows that were better than the non-New Japan matches that placed or got honorable mention, but when you have a G-1 like this past year, great matches became so commonplace they were forgotten.

:rolleyes: dave

The dominance of New Japan is evident here, with eight of the top 11 coming from the promotion. And if anything, that’s been a hindrance to New Japan, not a help. There were multiple matches in the G-1, and throughout the year on big shows that were better than the non-New Japan matches that placed or got honorable mention, but when you have a G-1 like this past year, great matches became so commonplace they were forgotten.

He really needs to watch more CMLL.

I don't even mind if the top 10 should be all NJPW according to his personal taste, what bothers me is this ridiculous, arrogant, fanboyish notion that the only possible reason any non-NJPW match could make it into the top 10 is because NJPW just had so many good matches that people forgot a bunch of them. Rather than, you know, that people have different tastes and not everyone loves absolutely everything that NJPW puts out.

The dominance of New Japan is evident here, with eight of the top 11 coming from the promotion. And if anything, thats been a hindrance to New Japan, not a help. There were multiple matches in the G-1, and throughout the year on big shows that were better than the non-New Japan matches that placed or got honorable mention, but when you have a G-1 like this past year, great matches became so commonplace they were forgotten.

I don't even mind if the top 10 should be all NJPW according to his personal taste, what bothers me is this ridiculous, arrogant, fanboyish notion that the only possible reason any non-NJPW match could make it into the top 10 is because NJPW just had so many good matches that people forgot a bunch of them. Rather than, you know, that people have different tastes and not everyone loves absolutely everything that NJPW puts out.

I agree, I was just pointing out I could say the same for CMLL

BEST PRO WRESTLING BOOK

1. DEATH OF WCW BY BRYAN ALVAREZ & R.D. REYNOLDS: 257

Wow who didn't see this one coming ;)

BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER

1. YOUNG BUCKS MELTZER DRIVER: 323

Okay he is just trolling now :mellow:

WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR

1. JOHN CENA VS. BRAY WYATT 5/4 EXTREME RULES EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ: 122

Was that the cage match that ended Jameson's son blocking the cage door. That was bad but come on probably not the worst match on that PPV

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC

1. WWE INSULTING FANS WHO PURCHASED PPVS: 65

2. Dixie Carter tweeting a Storm is coming to Japan during a typhoon: 62

This is my favorite category for all the wrong reasons. In order to be a 'promotional tactic' it has to be something deliberate by the person. I have a hard time believe that Dixie knew about the typhoon when she made the tweet

BEST PRO WRESTLING BOOK

BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER

WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR

Was that the cage match that ended Jameson's son blocking the cage door. That was bad but come on probably not the worst match on that PPV

This is my favorite category for all the wrong reasons. In order to be a 'promotional tactic' it has to be something deliberate by the person. I have a hard time believe that Dixie knew about the typhoon when she made the tweet

Dixie's tweet included a photoshop of James Storm's face over a weather radar photo of the typhoon.

BEST PRO WRESTLING BOOK

BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER

WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR

Dixie's tweet included a photoshop of James Storm's face over a weather radar photo of the typhoon.

So that's far more "disgusting" than WWE making fun of people who can get the Network paying 60 bucks for a PPV.

BEST PRO WRESTLING BOOK

Whats everyones take on this? For years Ive always hated RD Reynolds for making that book as well as the wrestlecrap (His Opinion) stuff as just seems like they just take the piss out of stuff I enjoyed as a kid back in the day. Mind you Ive never read the books just heard about them through reviews and stuff. Might be a misconception on my part but I wouldnt want to read a book that makes me so angry id want to just toss it in a trash.

Dave's been around for a while. I'm sure he saw it at the time. And like its been said a lot of these leaked out through live feeds. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

How much stuff leaked out through these live feeds? No idea when it started but I recall one from 98 Feb time may have been a early one and Ive heard for years there is a possibility someone may have the Owen/Angle dark match. Ive seen a list of what a few people have but always wondered how much got leaked out

BEST PRO WRESTLING BOOK

Whats everyones take on this? For years Ive always hated RD Reynolds for making that book as well as the wrestlecrap (His Opinion) stuff as just seems like they just take the piss out of stuff I enjoyed as a kid back in the day. Mind you Ive never read the books just heard about them through reviews and stuff. Might be a misconception on my part but I wouldnt want to read a book that makes me so angry id want to just toss it in a trash.

My take is that you might want to actually read the book before deciding you hate the author for writing it.

It's a fairly well researched and written book. A lot of it is opinion, but it is well constructed it and the theories put forward regarding the Death of WCW are well presented and hard to argue with. And it's a must have for anybody who hates Vince Russo. (So basically, any wrestling fan with a functioning brain.)

I tried reading Death of WCW and - more fool me I guess, knowing who the authors are - I really expected a higher caliber of writing that you'd see on a random fan page for an actual published book. The information contained within may be good, but it's very, very poorly written.