Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

Is there any likelyhood of Dave owning any rare WWF Televised shows?

I know we are lacking alot of Spotlight but Im having a hard time trying to think of anything that he could have thats not out in the trading community.

I don't know what Dave could really have that no one else doesn't WWF wise. The only way would be if someone from inside was hooking him up with stuff that was taped but not aired, which doesn't seem like it would be much. I could see him having some stuff from other territories or Japan that the recorders missed.

Probably doesn't matter though as I'd think most of his stuff is ruined anyway from sitting in his shed, OUTSIDE, for 30 years.

I remember him talking about seeing the Bret v Tom Magee match on tape at some stage. Fairly sure he's in a minority there...

What was signifficant about this match? Was this Bret's first ever WWF debut?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know we are lacking alot of Spotlight but Im having a hard time trying to think of anything that he could have thats not out in the trading community.

I don't know what Dave could really have that no one else doesn't WWF wise. The only way would be if someone from inside was hooking him up with stuff that was taped but not aired, which doesn't seem like it would be much. I could see him having some stuff from other territories or Japan that the recorders missed.

Probably doesn't matter though as I'd think most of his stuff is ruined anyway from sitting in his shed, OUTSIDE, for 30 years.

I remember him talking about seeing the Bret v Tom Magee match on tape at some stage. Fairly sure he's in a minority there...

Dave said that Tom Magee looked great in this match and WWF couldn't wait to push him cause of his body. But they realized that he wasn't good and that Bret made him look good.

Let me get this straight. Fans hate Bones because he's an uppity Negro, but they like Rampage because he's.....the right kind of uppity Negro? Do you guys have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

Yeah...that is my feeling too. I don't really want to get into an argument about race, and it seemed like a debate that is going to drag on forever, but I really think you guys are WAY off base on this one.

Dave said that Tom Magee looked great in this match and WWF couldn't wait to push him cause of his body. But they realized that he wasn't good and that Bret made him look good.

A google search suggested he was being billed as a potential Hulk Hogan. Never seen him wrestle so I wouldnt know.

I saw Tom Magee wrestle live at a WWF show in Brantford Ontario, back in the mid-late eighties. This would have been 86-88. He fought in a prelim match, against a prelim guy. I want to say it was Terry Gibbs, but I can't remember for sure. (I wish I had saved all my programs and ticket stubs from back then, I went to so many shows at Maple Leaf Gardens and the Maple Leaf Wrestling tapings in Brantford at the Civic Center.)

I think this was the same show I went to where Billy Jack Haynes fought Hercules in a crazy bloody steel chain match. All I remember is that Tom Magee looked like Kerry Von Erich, and he was very agile, I remember being surprised at a couple of moves he did considering the size he was. I only saw him the once, but among the dozens of guys I saw over the countless shows I went to, he did stick in my memory. I was always surprised he never ended up on TV or anything.

EDIT:

Hey, look what I found!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7vyfm_tom-magee-vs-terry-gibbs_shortfilms

Yep...that was the show I was at!

I wonder if Tom Magee isn't a victim of his own great look. Did he ever get a chance to actually develop anywhere? I don't remember him working anywhere for a long stint to get experience. He's a guy who probably would have benefited from a year under a mask in Memphis.

So he has the Chris Walker look. I think Bret mentioned him in his book.

If you ever picked up the International Challenge set, Magee vs Gibbs is on there.

As someone mentioned earlier, I've always wondered whether Meltzer actually 'has' a copy of Bret vs Magee or just watched it somewhere? The assumption online has always seemed to be that he 'has' a copy because he's written about it in the Observer, yet I can never specifically recall him saying outright that he does.

So he has the Chris Walker look. I think Bret mentioned him in his book.

If you ever picked up the International Challenge set, Magee vs Gibbs is on there.

As someone mentioned earlier, I've always wondered whether Meltzer actually 'has' a copy of Bret vs Magee or just watched it somewhere? The assumption online has always seemed to be that he 'has' a copy because he's written about it in the Observer, yet I can never specifically recall him saying outright that he does.

I think Meltzer said before that someone sent him an actual physical copy to watch.

Also, Meltzer said that a few years ago, Hart wanted WWE to put that match on his 3-disc DVD set but it didn't end up happening.

I'm guessing Bret just told Meltzer the Magee story and he talks about it as if it's fact. Bret was one of his sources afterall, he's going to print that stuff without any reason to question. There isn't any real evidence to think there was any truth to the story other then a Bret anecdote. Not to mention they weren't exactly looking to replace Hogan in 1986. Same reason every Flair story like the ridiculous "he was supposed to beat Hogan in their WCW Clash rematch" has been discredited by every single person there that would know. But Flair was Meltzer's first hand source and that's what Flair wanted, so his version becomes the dirtsheet "fact" and then internet lore. Same with Pillman, and no different than Waltman with Keller. Everyone's sources are honest because they couldn't possibly be just working a different medium to get over with a different audience. If Bret's match with Magee was so good, how come they didn't debut Magee on TV in a match with Bret to get over in front of the national audience?

Wait a minute... Dave has said many times that he didn't begin to talk to Bret on friendly terms until after Montreal. The Magee story was circulating long before then.

That could be the case. I know Meltzer talked about Magee after his All Japan debut, so he was already on Dave's radar before his WWF "tryout". Magee even got third runner up for PWI Rookie of the Year in 1986, so he wasn't an unknown by any stretch even in the kayfabe magazines. But I don't know when the Bret-Magee story popped up first. Earliest I can find with a quick search is a WOL show from 2004. But I didn't read the Observer so maybe it was around way back when it happened?

The match was taped but never shown on TV as they decided against debuting Magee at that point. It's possible that Dave got a copy of the raw unedited show straight from somebody in Titan. He's talked several times in shows over the years about the match clearly stating that he has actually watched it. If it was somebody else I'd say he probably got his brain mixed up but it's Dave who, to quote Konnan, "he's like Rainman" (and he means that as a compliment). If he says he's seen it then I'm pretty sure he has actually seen it.

I don't like stupid people who think they're clever, and Roy Nelson is dumber than a box of rocks. Did you not see the season he coached on The Ultimate Fighter? He's not just stupid, he's like...scary stupid. I don't much care for Dana White or buy into 99% of the shit he says, but he's right on the money when it comes to his opinion on Roy Nelson. I believe he has invoked Ron White when it comes to Nelson...specifically - you can't fix stupid.

I would love to however the only guy I know who has it is Landy and he point blank refuses to sell to me. Ive no idea why because Ive had no run ins with him at all. If I ask someone else to get it for me they tell him im wanting it and he wont do it for them because he knows they are getting it for me. I dont get why people have to be like that at all. If you have stuff share it.

Its even getting to the stage id offer 700 quid to him for it. If I had to fork out a grand to get him to change his mind I would seriously consider it.

It's weird that NXT guys are encouraged to ask for matches from the vault to help learn, yet that's one match no one ever gets if they ask for it specifically.

Wouldnt it just be easier for them to use their ipad or tablet and watch matches on youtube?

Dave owns a physical copy of the footage, he reconfirmed this on twitter earlier.

Cheers, I've just had a read of it on Twitter. The fact that his response was 'I have it somewhere', does make you wonder what else he has 'somewhere'; probably unlabelled, unwatched for years and every chance deteriorating on video.

Dave was also talking this week about someone in WWE sending him footage of a 2002-ish dark match where Lesnar successfully did his Shooting Star Press. There are a few frequently-discussed instances of people sending him something in order to confirm it happened, but I don't think it's as if he has some huge stockpile of unseen matches laying around.

Dave was also talking this week about someone in WWE sending him footage of a 2002-ish dark match where Lesnar successfully did his Shooting Star Press.

There's quite a lot of dark matches from this period that are in circulation amongst traders already (due to Satellite feeds). There is at least one example of him hitting the shooting star (in a tag match with Shelton Benjamin against BJ Payne and Shooter Schultz) amongst these and Benjamin hits a 450 in the same match.