Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has there been any time Dave was obviously worked or lied to successfully? He's always come across as a guy who won't print something unless it's been triple checked, but it's impossible in his line of work dealing with the people he does that nothing slips through.

Closest thing I can think of was when Jericho returned a few years back with those weird vignettes and Dave said they were for Undertaker. His reasoning that they weren't for Jericho was that Chris was mad about getting screwed over video game royalties and was very vocal about how he wouldn't work with them.

People say he said Punk was returning on the Chicago RAW last year, but he didn't -- he said he was told Punk was coming back, but he didn't know if he believed that, just that that's what he was told. But the "newz" sites twisted what he said and so you had people on Reddit, the type that use the term "dirt sheets" in seriousness, who believe that's what he said. The Jericho thing was a clear case of him getting worked, though.

My favorite thing falsely attributed to him (that actually made me feel bad for him) is this obnoxious insistence that he hates TNA. Poor guy seemed like he was going to snap on Twitter after getting abused by an endless stream of 'fans' who berated him for simply reporting about TNA's current woes.

There was also this weird thing during the build-up for the second Undertaker/Triple H match where he insisted that Shawn was going to interfere/be involved because H allegedly alluded to a secret plan in a promo. The only involvement Shawn ended up having was telling Hunter he "couldn't win" during a promo building to Mania. I wouldn't put too much thought into it, but he was almost arrogant in how he dealt with people saying that Shawn gave no indication that he was going to have anything to do with the match.

Can someone tell me if Dave has reported on WrestleMania being a money loser this year? People on another board are just throwing that around like it's a known fact, apparently based on some throwaway comment from Dave over on the F4W board, but I would have thought a story like that would have been a lot bigger news.

The best I recall is Dave saying they wouldn't be making as much money due to less PPV buys, but I don't think he ever said it would be a loser. Sounds like something invented by NEWZ sites.

Speaking of, Dave went on a mini rant on how he's always getting heat directed toward him for stuff he never said. A recent example being people saying he was reporting Sting would be at Battleground or it was Sting vs Taker for SummerSlam when all he said was marketing materials were printed with both guys on it. He brushed it off, but it seems like it's starting to wear on him that his reportings is constantly being misrepresented and then used as "proof" for why DA SHEETZ can't be trusted.

Please stop ending words wth z

How else can you convey the quality of the sources that report entirely wrong information? Most of them look like they take their design cues from the era where ending words with Z was still a thing.

Can someone tell me if Dave has reported on WrestleMania being a money loser this year? People on another board are just throwing that around like it's a known fact, apparently based on some throwaway comment from Dave over on the F4W board, but I would have thought a story like that would have been a lot bigger news.

34fjt4h.jpg

34fjt4h.jpg

In WWE's last financial report, they reported that this year's WrestleMania lost $300,000, but they didn't include revenue from new WWE Network subscribers in that figure. Even throwing in Network money, the show still wouldn't have been as profitable as it was in most years from 1998-2013 when they regularly had around a million buys on traditional PPV. He talked about it in the May 11th Observer.

Been reading some old Observers from 2001, and interesting to see that when Shelton Benjamin & Brock Lesnar were getting their start in OVW as the Minnesota Stretching Crew that Meltzer was certain that Benjamin would be the bigger star of the two, going as far too call him 'a sure fire can't miss prospect'. Funny how things panned out...

Actually Cornette seemed to think the same thing. Cornette says Brock didn't want to do shit in OVW while Shelton was busting his ass so that's what made it look that way. But then Brock turned it way up when he got to the main roster to the point Cornette said it was like watching an entirely different guy.

I really doubt that he was better in OVW than he was in WWE. It's not like he was BAD in WWE, the tag team with Haas led to some good matches and he looked like he might break out as a singles star after the team broke up and he went to Raw. But I think the big thing about Shelton is that he never really seemed to grow as a performer or improve in any noticeable way. I mean he was pretty much the same guy in the ring from when he debuted in 2002 until 2007 when he became the Gold Standard. Not being a good promo also limited him.

My favorite thing falsely attributed to him (that actually made me feel bad for him) is this obnoxious insistence that he hates TNA. Poor guy seemed like he was going to snap on Twitter after getting abused by an endless stream of 'fans' who berated him for simply reporting about TNA's current woes.

There was also this weird thing during the build-up for the second Undertaker/Triple H match where he insisted that Shawn was going to interfere/be involved because H allegedly alluded to a secret plan in a promo. The only involvement Shawn ended up having was telling Hunter he "couldn't win" during a promo building to Mania. I wouldn't put too much thought into it, but he was almost arrogant in how he dealt with people saying that Shawn gave no indication that he was going to have anything to do with the match.

The HIAC match? Because Shawn was the ref for that and a big part of the build....

Or do you mean the match @ WM27? X7 doesn't seem to count in WWE history because they never referenced it during the build up to 27

FWIW the match @ X7 was my favorite match on that show, and I really liked the 27 match.......I thought HIAC sucked and was the definition of a "self-conscious epic" TM PWO

• 1 month later...