Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

The context of the Combs thing was really clear from the story being told. She wasn’t saying, “These women should have bigger tits.” She was saying that she came into the business in a time and place in which her bookers expected women to have a certain bust, and was pleasantly surprised that things have changed. Combs wasn’t regressively arguing against the Crush Girls’ bodies. She was saying - from the perspective of someone who actually lived through and endured sexism - that she was impressed that wrestling had taken a cultural step forward.

If you don’t find the story funny, fine. I don’t think it’s brilliant or hilarious, but to suggest that the story is sexist (or that Combs was saying something offensive because she’s old) is a misread of the situation. In fact, one could argue that misread itself is a bit ageist against her, in implying that she’s out of touch because she’s old, and equating her with the aforementioned “Off Their Rockers” Betty White-style caricature. But by the same token, I can understand that it comes from a place of good intentions, and the nature of hearing a story secondhand (or third or fourthhand).

I completely agree with everything you said. Unfortunately all that was stated was some weird comments about tits and it being a hilarious and great story. In that context everything is fine.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MIKE: Do you consider those guys to be your competition? What are your opinions on what Wade Keller has done with the Torch, and you mentioned Bryan --?
MELTZER: I think Wade Keller is a good businessman. I don't think ... in a sense you could say he's competition, and I don't consider him to be competition, because I don't consider what he does and what I do are all that similar. To me The Torch is more geared for --- it's kind of like a USA Today and a New York Times thing ... to me. The Torch is kind of geared towards a more casual audience, it's not really as ... and I don't want to knock it, but it's geared towards a more casual audience. Except for Bruce Mitchell's stuff, there's nothing really ... any deep analysis in there. Wade Keller sometimes does deep analysis pieces, but like the headline stories and stuff, just by the nature of how his headline stories are just basically going to be the first page, and mine can go on for pages and pages.
I have the luxury by not being laid out in a professional manner to go on and on and on, and be a lot more deeper in the stories. I think The Observer is more for people who really want to know in depth what's going on. I think that it's the only one, because Bryan Alvarez only has 4 pages - he doesn't have the space to be doing this. Wade Keller has the space, but the way he formats it, he really doesn't have the space. Every now and then he could do the space when he wants to, and when he wants to he can do a really good job. But as far as in depth of the major stories, it's just a different thing. I have the luxury of going more in depth and my coverage is more international, because that's just how The Observer is. His is more of the Big 3 in the United States, which is maybe more marketable to more people in some ways, but to me, the world is the world, I'm not just trying to write ... I'm writing for people who are hardcore wrestling fans who want to learn about wrestling, and I think that he's writing for people who just kind of want to know the news, but not necessarily learn a lot more.

http://www.wrestlingforum.com/classic-wrestling/1351194-1999-interview-dave-meltzer.html

I do find it kind of funny that Meltzer stresses the depth of a piece; the importance of doing your work in journalism and presenting it when he employs Bryan Avarez and a host of others who have absolutely no depth to their reporting or opinions whatsoever.

It's a mutual-beneficiary deal. Alvarez gets Meltzer, who drives subscribers, adds the content, and credibility to the site. Meltzer gets Alvarez, who gives him the means to distribute the product and the infrastructure therein.

In my opinion, Meltzer is contributing and adding to the site much, much more, but I think even dave would say that his readership has went way up since hooking up with Bryan.

It's a mutual-beneficiary deal. Alvarez gets Meltzer, who drives subscribers, adds the content, and credibility to the site. Meltzer gets Alvarez, who gives him the means to distribute the product and the infrastructure therein.

In my opinion, Meltzer is contributing and adding to the site much, much more, but I think even dave would say that his readership has went way up since hooking up with Bryan.

It went up because it went digital.

If he went to the Torch website or had somebody create a wrestler observer site while putting up the newsletter digitally and adding podcasts he probably would had been better off.

If he went to the Torch website or had somebody create a wrestler observer site while putting up the newsletter digitally and adding podcasts he probably would had been better off.

Yes. Totally, completely agree 100% and really thinking about it, your latter option (just getting someone to create the site and be his co-host producer) would've been the best bet.

Yes. Totally, completely agree 100% and really thinking about it, your latter option (just getting someone to create the site and be his co-host producer) would've been the best bet.

Bix missed his opportunity!

Dave probably would had been better off if he joined with the Torch's website instead of with f4weekly.

The time for that was back in 1999/2000 before the years wasted with his other website, but... Yes.

Didn't Dave say what he and Wade did were different?

The differences would have been complimentary at the time. Very. There are things they overlapped on, and those were the days of some of Wade's best reporting (Death of WCW where he was better sourced than anyone). But there were things that Wade was stronger in (organiztion, content deliver, editing, bringing in others to provide content / differing views, vision, Interviews, etc) and things that Dave was strong in (in depth rambling, historical pieces, obits, MMA if you like MMA, Japan, etc). Those things compliment each other.

Dave and Wade are on civil terms last I heard. Dave and Bruce are great friends, and of course Bruce and Wade are great friends despite driving each other nuts on their podcasts. :)

I think Meltzer came off somewhat bad on the latest WOR, regarding the Jose Aldo situation. The acknowledging that Aldo is seriously hurt, so he should have pulled out, then going into this weird deal about how Aldo's complained about money in the past, Aldo's post, about how doesn't Aldo realized he was going to make a lot of money, etc. Like Meltzer was having it both ways, both understanding Aldo pulling out and criticizing Aldo for pulling out when he asked for big money in the past (like how dare someone ask to be compensated for more).

He's not the only MMA media member to do this, this week, but it's gross that people were hoping, expecting to see Aldo, with a broken rib, who couldn't leave his bed for a few days, be forced to make a drastic weight cut, and go into the biggest fight of his life in this weakened condition. It's one thing to be disappointed that the fight isn't happening, that's cool, I really wanted to see this fight too. But being mad at Aldo for pulling out, bringing up his past of asking for more money (and not just for him, but other fighters), etc. is fucked up. Not only that, but the whole, "Doesn't Aldo understand he will get a lot of money, and if he loses, he gets an immediate rematch for more money! He'll become a bigger star in losing!" is so dumb, and gives zero recognition that these dudes are humans, and they can end up really hurt in the longterm. It's not some random video game, dudes careers can be altered in one single fight.

Also, while Meltzer did mention the released x-ray, it's disappointing that he didn't go back to Zuffa's "bruised" b.s. from last week.

Here's the full quote from the Aug. 7th, 1995 Observer:

Matches on TV the past two weeks with Taz & Guerrero vs. Scorpio & Malenko have been excellent. Guerrero doesn't have Shawn Michaels' charisma, but is actually an even better worker because he's got a wider variety of moves and ironically, even though he has the Mexican style upbringing, because of his years in Japan, his style looks more like a match whereas a Michaels match when he's got his working shoes on (and Guerrero seems to a higher percentage of the time) looks more like an exhibition of awesome spots. Guerrero does awesome spots but they don't have the feel of looking as set-up. Of course Malenko is better than anyone Michaels has regularly worked with so that could make a difference.

This week has brought out the worst in a lot of people in MMA both in the media and especially in the UFC........lots of douchebaggery abound.

The MMA media is about as bad as the NFL media as to towing the company line, no one wants to get on Dana's bad side.

Here's the full quote from the Aug. 7th, 1995 Observer:

Matches on TV the past two weeks with Taz & Guerrero vs. Scorpio & Malenko have been excellent. Guerrero doesn't have Shawn Michaels' charisma, but is actually an even better worker because he's got a wider variety of moves and ironically, even though he has the Mexican style upbringing, because of his years in Japan, his style looks more like a match whereas a Michaels match when he's got his working shoes on (and Guerrero seems to a higher percentage of the time) looks more like an exhibition of awesome spots. Guerrero does awesome spots but they don't have the feel of looking as set-up. Of course Malenko is better than anyone Michaels has regularly worked with so that could make a difference.

The second half of the sentence (the stuff not in the signature) makes Meltzer's quote look (at least) half as bad.

Enjoying a lazy Sunday with a coffee and an old WO and came across this gem from Dec 97.

Stevie Richards had a meeting with Titan. Richards was at the ECW show saying that he was offered a spot in DX but turned it down. Those close to the situation confirm he was offered a great spot in the WWF although didn't confirm it was in DX.

This week has brought out the worst in a lot of people in MMA both in the media and especially in the UFC........lots of douchebaggery abound.

That and the fact that most of the media in MMA are also pro wrestling fans and tried to use the logic in this situation. What Meltzer was trying to do was convince Aldo that "jobbing" to Connor and losing the belt was a good idea in the long run. I mean who cares how injured Aldo really is right. the really bad part is that it kind of sounds like he thinks Mendes should do the same because him winning the title hurts business against Aldo and hurt the future earnings of Connor because he was exposed. Maybe true but sorry unless you want to rig the sport then that is the way it is