Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

But there aren't thousands of people out there chomping at the bit to watch Japanese wrestling that are being turned off by this.

If that's true, then Jericho wrestling Omega is completely pointless. The whole idea - I'd imagine - is to get thousands of new fans. But New Japan needs to meet those fans halfway by upgrading their bush league NJPW World service.

It's to draw for their American shows plus it will probably get them some attention in Japan.

Their product can be as amazing as they want and their streaming service as simple as possible and they still will have a limited appeal because of the language barrier.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People are funny. Back in the days to see a NJ show, you had to pay 20$ plus shipping then wait weeks before it got to you. For a bootleg tape. That took space.

And really, if you want to see NJ, or anything else for that matter, for free, it's not very hard either.

The number of people I know that actively watch New Japan now is about double what it used to be. But they were interested before and just had that price barrier.

The vast majority of wrestling fans I know in real life, you can't get them to watch anything that isn't WWE. They might even enjoy something you show them but they have no interest in wrestling outside of that.

People are funny. Back in the days to see a NJ show, you had to pay 20$ plus shipping then wait weeks before it got to you. For a bootleg tape. That took space.

And really, if you want to see NJ, or anything else for that matter, for free, it's not very hard either.

Yeah, that’s how I watch it now. Since I’m an adult with a job, I’d prefer to just give them my money because it’s easier and more dependable than torrents, but so it goes.

I mean, the Venn diagram of English language NJPW World subscribers and WON subscribers is almost a complete overlap, so it doesnt seem completely out of place to me. It always seems like a lot of folks think Japanese wrestling somehow is lessened if it doesnt remind them of the tapes they saw that first piqued their interest.

I mean, the Venn diagram of English language NJPW World subscribers and WON subscribers is almost a complete overlap, so it doesnt seem completely out of place to me.

Yes it is. It's absolutely god-awful and should never, ever be addressed on air. "Treat it like it's real or just shut the fuck up". It's cringe-worthy enough when announcers say stuff like "match of the year", but at least it can be understood as "it's an awesome competitive match". But throwing star ratings as part of announcing, that's just a no-go-zone. Or it means we've officially entered the "pro-wrestling as figure skating" era.

I mean, the Venn diagram of English language NJPW World subscribers and WON subscribers is almost a complete overlap, so it doesnt seem completely out of place to me.

Yes it is. It's absolutely god-awful and should never, ever be addressed on air. "Treat it like it's real or just shut the fuck up". It's cringe-worthy enough when announcers say stuff like "match of the year", but at least it can be understood as "it's an awesome competitive match". But throwing star ratings as part of announcing, that's just a no-go-zone. Or it means we've officially entered the "pro-wrestling as figure skating" era.

For certain wrestlers and promotions we absolutely have entered that era.

It always seems like a lot of folks think Japanese wrestling somehow is lessened if it doesnt remind them of the tapes they saw that first piqued their interest.

Not with me as the first Japanese show I ever watched was Wrestle Kingdom 9. I don't mind on social media/documentaries etc. but on a wrestling show I want everyone to treat it like it's real. Talking star ratings in a wrestling show is like someone in a Star Wars movie complementing the special effects.

Just got through last week's WON and in reviewing Omega/Baretta, Dave noted how strongly the match was over with the crowd by pointing to "This is Awesome" and "Holy Shit" chants in English from the live audience. Except it wasn't the live audience chanting that, but rather the Young Bucks at ringside. No idea how he missed that but it seemed like quite the oversight given how much credit he gave the match for these "English" chants.

So did Bryan stuff Bix in the lockers when he worked on the newsletter? His constant subtweets and out and out pissy mean girl tweets are getting hilarious.

I just finally figured out he's kind of a shitty human being.

Was it when someone found audio of him in 2011 talking about what a bad worker Cena was? That's enough for me.