Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

Its funny listening to Dave wonder if New Japan is popular enough to warrant a video game (in response to a reader question) when they had a pretty big tie in with Tekken 7 this year. The question wouldnt come down to New Japans popularity as much as the issue of much of the gaming market in Japan being more focused on mobile games than consoles.

(to be fair I wouldnt expect Dave to be an expert on the Japanese gaming market, but it was an example of a wasted question in a segment usually limited to a handful)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave not exactly covering himself in glory in his discussion of the Michael Elgin sitution.

If Michael Elgin should be out of wrestling forever, should Vince McMahon also be forced out of his company?

He presided over a company that hired Mel Phillips and Terry Garvin, and there were routinely jokes made about their behavior.
Garvin's behavior was joked about openly on television. Sammartino said on Donahue that he was there when there were direct accusations made and the person involved continued to be employed.

Vince was also personally accused (I don't believe the accusation because the original story I heard was very different from the one Rita Chatterton told years later on television), but it's still the exact situation with Elgin except without the stupidity of text messaging and with the guy in charge being the accused individually, not the guy in charge being told and a he said it was consensual and she said it wasn't situation and didn't know who to believe and failed to act. And in a similar case, nobody in any of these cases went to the authorities.

For those who haven't been following, one of Elgin's students was accused of sexual assault by a fan. Elgin was then revealed to have behaved in an assholish manner toward the fan in DMs. He's lost some bookings as a result.

Is Dave really that disillusional that he rates Mania 31 as the best ever Mania ever created?

I'd rather watch Steamboat/Savage from Mania 3 than some boring shit like Taker/Bray that is a chore to watch.

Its funny how he gives Hogan/Andre minus 4 stars yet will 5 star a match just because its Shelton Benjamin flipping off a Ladder.

Is Dave really that disillusional that he rates Mania 31 as the best ever Mania ever created?

I'd rather watch Steamboat/Savage from Mania 3 than some boring shit like Taker/Bray that is a chore to watch.

Its funny how he gives Hogan/Andre minus 4 stars yet will 5 star a match just because its Shelton Benjamin flipping off a Ladder.

Usually when I hear him talk about Mania, he says 17 is the best. When did he say 31 was?

He rated Savage-Steamboat (****1/2) higher than Undertaker-Bray too, so he'd agree with you. He also neither rated Hogan-Andre -**** nor gave any match with Shelton Benjamin flipping off a ladder *****.

He was there live for one and not the other. We all know that sometimes matches can come across much better live. I think anything he says is worth questioning, but I also think it's okay to cut him a little slack.

The comparison to Vince reads like someone who's completely out of the loop on modern news. Vince might have to resign if that happened now. He might not have to resign, but the possibility would be there and would be real, especially if there was hard evidence. A lot has changed since 1992. The price of tea in China.

The comparison to Vince reads like someone who's completely out of the loop on modern news. Vince might have to resign if that happened now. He might not have to resign, but the possibility would be there and would be real, especially if there was hard evidence. A lot has changed since 1992. The price of tea in China.

It also seems like a weird quasi-defence of Elgin. I mean, there's not exactly a ton of fans arguing that what Vince did 25 years ago is ok.

Pretty much this plus Elgin in this particular case played the good guy card publicly and then was outed as an asshole enabler in private conversations on twitter and IM. Vince played the good guy through the entire public and nobody has any record of his private stuff to Patterson or his lawyer. We assume it happened and figuring 1992 Vince it was probably disgusting but nobody actually saw it.

Dave isn't going to come out of this looking good. It's a bad look for the top wrestling reporter to come off like this. Let's not forget his entire spiel about how the n-word was an insider term either. At this point, every time he opens his mouth he says some dumb shit, so maybe it's time he stopped talking for awhile.

Not that the world of professional wrestling has ever been anything other than shady, carny characters but it would be nice to see it, along with the rest of society & the world, moving in a better, more progressive direction.

This is pretty inexcusable for Meltz.

LOL, he went on a long, long spiel about the whole thing and that person cherrypicked one line out of context and now people are freaking out?

He literally listed a ton of things about how f'ed up the Elgin situation is that is one of them. In no way was that the biggest takeaway he had from it.

Give it a rest.

He came off like the person reporting the abuse was the bad person rather than the one (Elgin) who sat on the knowledge of said info for months and bad mouthed the person making the claims. Not a good look.

Like generally yes, it's not normally a good trait to spill private conversations but if it's in context of exposing someone covering up abuse/talking shit on the victim then fuck that person in particular.

Here's what he actually said, specifically talking about how Elgin has heat in Japan over the Cobb Texts.

"Boy, did he pick the wrong person to be a confidant of. Someone whose mad at you claiming that one of the guys that you book raped her, she's claiming this, and you're using her as a confidant to tell your stuff, like, get your little aggression out. Another one of Elgin's big problems, and there's many, is boy his ability to determine who he should trust was not good at all because she just threw all that stuff out because she was mad at him and there it was and man..."

Here's what he actually said, specifically talking about how Elgin has heat in Japan over the Cobb Texts.

"Boy, did he pick the wrong person to be a confidant of. Someone whose mad at you claiming that one of the guys that you book raped her, she's claiming this, and you're using her as a confidant to tell your stuff, like, get your little aggression out. Another one of Elgin's big problems, and there's many, is boy his ability to determine who he should trust was not good at all because she just threw all that stuff out because she was mad at him and there it was and man..."

I haven't listened to the audio, but there's obviously quite a difference in talking about trusting someone for purposes of keeping a crime under wraps versus for gossiping about your tag team partner.

The odd comparison (or joke or I don't even know what it was) Meltzer made about segregation in Memphis during the 1950s and NJPW limiting Wrestle Kingdom tickets to Americans was really bad. Glad Mike Sempervive immediately stepped in with a modern day sports comparison that made more sense.