Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

So it looks like Edge is the guy Dave keeps blind-iteming about when mentioning a top WWE guy (and not someone you'd assume like Taker) who's looking to retire soon. That makes me wonder how much of this feud with Dolph is being booked to try to entice Edge to stay, since it sure doesn't seem to be helping Ziggler out at all.

Edge has be telling people he wants to hang it up at Wrestlemania 28

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One suspects:

* Edge has been reasonably smart with his money; and

* wouldn't mind sliding into that Shawn Role of coming off the bench

The second isn't a bad spot to come in every couple of years for a 3-6 month run, get some big PPV paydays, then head back out. Avoids the burn out. He's already spend a fair amount of time on the shelf anyway, so he probably sees what life after wrestling looks like.

John

Edge is pretty banged up, like most of WWE's headliners. He's been working on a surgically repaired neck for seven years. Not to mention his other major injuries like his torn pec and torn Achilles tendon. If he wants to get out of the business in one piece, then he needs to be thinking retirement soon. I'm not sure Edge is a big enough star that he would get the Shawn schedule, even if he does have his eyes on that.

You don't really have to "ask" for the schedule. You just walk away. Every year there's a time or two when someone big gets injured, and the WWE needs to scramble to fill the slot. If you're Edge, when the phone rings, to accept that every two years for a nice slot at the top, 4 or so PPV cycle, a nice chunk of change, and then head off.

Agree he's banged up. 18 months off / 6 months on heals up a lot of wounds. :)

You just leave the WWE on good terms, and on the way out say something nice to Vince that if he needs a short term emergency patch in a couple of years, you'd be happy to help out the company.

John

Ok I know about the Paul Boesch rumours but JR just blogged this:

Hard to believe that Gino Hernandez died 25 years ago this week. Gino, a Houston native and long rumored to have been a 'son' of the late, Houston wrestling promoter Paul Boesch, BTW I'm leery of that rumor, was a '10' in the ring. If Hernandez was in his prime today he would be printing money because there isn't a villain in the biz any where that possesses Gino's natural skill set. Gino never played a 'role' and was genuine to the point that his life style essentially destroyed his professional and personal life due to allegedly abusing drug. I remember Gino making a live event booking in Tulsa, wired to the max, and then flying with an older gentleman who adored Gino to Vegas where Hernandez was spending the weekend partying with the late Farah Fawcett under the watchful eye of Gino's older, male chaperon. Interesting arrangement to say the least.

Ok....

You don't really have to "ask" for the schedule. You just walk away. Every year there's a time or two when someone big gets injured, and the WWE needs to scramble to fill the slot. If you're Edge, when the phone rings, to accept that every two years for a nice slot at the top, 4 or so PPV cycle, a nice chunk of change, and then head off.

Agree he's banged up. 18 months off / 6 months on heals up a lot of wounds. :)

You just leave the WWE on good terms, and on the way out say something nice to Vince that if he needs a short term emergency patch in a couple of years, you'd be happy to help out the company.

WWE doesn't really work like that though. It may seem like Shawn and Undertaker did that, but by and large they both just kept getting injured. They were under long term full time, albeit with a reduced schedule, contracts. Big Show and Jericho both worked full time for several years after coming back from their lengthy sabbaticals. The only guys who got those type of deals were Roddy Piper in the mid 1990s and Hulk Hogan last decade, and well Edge isn't at their level, yet alone at Shawn and Undertaker's level.

Yeah, I don't know what is funnier: the "allegedly" or the Gino partying with FFM work.

John

Wasn't the story that him and Farrah went to high school together or something? There seems to be photos of them being at events together, but nothing to suggest they were doing lines off each others asses or anything like that.

I'm trying to figure out where Dragon Gate stands presently in the wrestling world, and I'm wondering what lucha promotions would be in the discussion.

The top 5 by total revenue/success would be (in no particular order):

-WWE

-TNA

-NJ

-#1 lucha promotion

-Either the #2 lucha promotion or Dragon Gate

I'm confident that DG is #2 in Japan at this point. They do much better outside Tokyo than do NOAH or All Japan, they run more shows (I think), and have the overseas revenue streams that while small are still better than nothing. But I have no idea how the stack up to the number of shows, attendance, TV ratings, etc. of what's going on in Mexico.