Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought reading hard copies of old WONs was difficult because of Dave's peculiar sentence structure, smashed together spacing and small typewriter print.

Then I downloaded a bunch of old WONs and reading them on my computer screen in .jpg format is even more difficult.

We need to ask Congress to pass a law requiring somebody to re-type all the old WONs into a double-spaced Word .doc with size 12 font.

Hollywood Reporter brings this.

Eric McCormack is starring in Barricade, the latest film from WWE Studios.

The deal marks the first time the company is making a picture that doesn’t star one of its macho WWE stars.

Andrew Currie (Fido) is directing the movie, which will shoot in and around Vancouver later this month.

Written by Michaelbrent Collings, the supernatural thriller centers on a psychiatrist, seeking to find normalcy after the sudden passing of his wife, who takes his two kids to a remote cabin for healing and bonding. Their joy soon turns to despair when the family is terrorized by unknown forces and the father will stop at nothing to save them from peril

Conner Dwelly and Ryan Grantham are in negotiations to play the two kids.

WWE Studios is producing and financing the film. WWE's Michael Pavone, David Calloway, and Lori Lewis are the producers.

McCormack recently signed with ICM, who closed a deal for him to star and produce a pilot for TNT titled Perception. Perception centres on on a neuropsychiatry professor (McCormack) who aids the FBI in solving complex cases. Rachael Leigh Cook will co-star.

McCormack’s is best known for Will & Grace. He recently toplined TNT’s Trust Me and recurred on CBS’ The New Adventures of Old Christine.

In addition to ICM, McCormack is repped by the Coronel Group and by attorneys Harris Hartman and Jason Sloan of SOWD.

They just filed their 10-K for 2010 year end (December). The statement on WWE Studios:

WWE Studios

(represents 4%, 2% and 5% of our net revenues in 2010, 2009 and 2008, respectively)

Established in 2002, WWE Studios creates a diversified mix of filmed entertainment including theatrical releases and direct-to-DVD films. Upcoming releases will feature a wide range of genres including family-friendly comedies, dramas and thrillers. In addition, television movies, scripted television series, unscripted television series, animation, and other projects are potential areas for development.

WWE Studios has released four feature films: See No Evil , The Marine , The Condemned , and 12 Rounds and two direct-to-DVD films, Behind Enemy Lines: Columbia and The Marine 2, by utilizing third-party distribution partners (“Licensed films”).

In the current year, WWE Studios’ began self-distributing our films, starting with the releases of Legendary and Knucklehead . Legendary , starring Patricia Clarkson, Danny Glover and WWE Superstar John Cena, was released in September 2010. Knucklehead, starring Mark Feuerstein, Melora Hardin, WWE Superstar Big Show and Dennis Farina was released in October 2010.

WWE Studios remains committed to providing global audiences family-friendly filmed entertainment which leverages the WWE brand. Upcoming films will feature well-known actors and actresses in lead roles supported by WWE Superstars. WWE is slated to produce and release an additional seven films through 2012.

Films currently scheduled for release in 2011 include:

The Chaperone , starring WWE Superstar Triple H, Ariel Winter, Annabeth Gish and Yeardley Smith is slated for a February 2011 release.

That’s What I Am , starring Ed Harris, Chase Ellison, Molly Parker, WWE Superstar Randy Orton, and Amy Madigan is slated for an April 2011 release.

Inside Out, starring Michael Rappaport, Parker Posey, WWE Superstar Triple H and Bruce Dern is scheduled for a late 2011 release date.

WWE Studios net revenues were $19.6 million, $7.7 million and $24.5 million, representing 4%, 2% and 5% of total net revenues in 2010, 2009 and 2008, respectively.

Revenue

2009: $7.7M

2010: $19.6

Cost of Revenue

2009: $3.9

2010: $19.2

Operating Income

2009: $2.2

2010: -$1.8

The comparability of our results for the current year as compared to the prior year is impacted by our WWE Studios’ business change to a self-distribution model starting in the third quarter of the current year. Under this model, we recognize revenues and expenses for our films on a gross basis upon release. During the current year we released two films under this self-distribution model, Legendary and Knucklehead . We previously released six films that were distributed by third-party distribution partners whereby we participated in revenues upon their recoupment of distribution expenses and fees. As a result, the revenue and related expenses were recorded on a net basis after the distributor’s recoupment, which typically occurred in periods subsequent to the film’s initial release. In the current year, we recorded $8.8 million in revenue and $11.5 million in cost of revenue related to our self-distributed films. Included in the cost of revenue is $5.3 million of amortization of production costs and $6.2 million of distribution-related expenses.

WWE Studios released four feature films utilizing third-party distribution partners (Licensed Films): See No Evil , The Marine , The Condemned , and 12 Rounds and two direct-to-DVD films, Behind Enemy Lines: Columbia and The Marine 2. For these licensed films, we participate in revenues and expenses generated from the distribution of the films through all media on a net basis after the print and advertising and distribution costs incurred by our distribution partners have been recouped and the results are reported to us, typically in periods subsequent to the initial release. We recorded $10.8 million of revenue relating to these licensed films in the current year as compared to $7.7 million in the prior year. The increase in revenue for our licensed films is primarily driven by $3.5 million in revenue from our film, 12 Rounds. The licensed films cost of revenues reflects the amortization of production costs for these films.

WWE Studios changed to a self-distribution model starting in the third quarter of the current year. Under this model, we recognize revenues and expenses for our films on a gross basis upon release. During the current year, we released two feature films under this model, Legendary and Knucklehead . In the current year, we recorded $8.8 million in revenue and $11.5 million in cost of revenue related to these self-distributed films. We record distribution related expenses when incurred and amortize feature film production costs in the same proportion that a film’s revenue for the period relates to our ultimate revenue projections for such film. Included in the cost of revenue is $5.3 million of amortization of production costs and $6.2 million of distribution related expenses.

We have $56.3 million of feature film production assets capitalized on our balance sheet as of December 31, 2010, of which $21.0 million relates to licensed films and $35.3 million relates to films either released or scheduled to be released under our new distribution model. The recoverability of these assets is dependant upon the revenue generated by a specific film, which is impacted by general economic conditions, the demand for our content by audiences and the economic impact of changes in content distribution channels.

Unamortized feature film production assets are evaluated for impairment each reporting period. If conditions indicate a potential impairment, and the estimated fair value of a film is not greater than the unamortized asset, the asset will be written down to fair value. As of December 31, 2010 and December 31, 2009, we do not believe any capitalized assets included in Feature Film Production Assets are impaired.

I'm sure that there's someone out there who can figure out the long term plan of WWE Studios. It's always been a bit lost on me, other than the one-time vibe that it was a jerk off part of the company for Shane. I probably was incorrect on that, do it does make you wonder who is keeping it alive.

John

I'm sure that there's someone out there who can figure out the long term plan of WWE Studios. It's always been a bit lost on me, other than the one-time vibe that it was a jerk off part of the company for Shane. I probably was incorrect on that, do it does make you wonder who is keeping it alive.

John

The conspiracy theorist in me points to Hunter and Steph.

John

The conspiracy theorist in me points to Hunter and Steph.

Being in movies like The Chaperone won't do HHH any favors. My vote goes toward it being a vanity project for Vince to feel he's in legit entertainment since that's been the motivation for all his failed non-wrestling projects ever.

The effort put into it, and the ramp up of releases/projects, speaks a bit more than a Vince Vanity Project. One a year would do the trick. Releases in 9/10, 10/10, 2/11 and 4/11 looks more like someone is quite engaged in it. They also changed their business model last year from what had been more of a vanity project into something different.

Vince checks out of vanity projects pretty fast: boxing, movies the first time around, WBF, XFL, etc.

Maybe Dave has covered it, and it's among the many things I skim through in the WON as WWE business reports tend to get repetative and sleepy over the years. It's also such a drop in the bucket of company revenues and costs that it doesn't matter much. Still, some folks in the company seem to have a ying for this.

John

The effort put into it, and the ramp up of releases/projects, speaks a bit more than a Vince Vanity Project. One a year would do the trick. Releases in 9/10, 10/10, 2/11 and 4/11 looks more like someone is quite engaged in it. They also changed their business model last year from what had been more of a vanity project into something different.

Vince checks out of vanity projects pretty fast: boxing, movies the first time around, WBF, XFL, etc.

Maybe Dave has covered it, and it's among the many things I skim through in the WON as WWE business reports tend to get repetative and sleepy over the years. It's also such a drop in the bucket of company revenues and costs that it doesn't matter much. Still, some folks in the company seem to have a ying for this.

John

A reality TV show is where it's at. Put some of the boys and some of the divas in a house and roll that beautiful bean footage.

I think the new "business plan" for the film division was inspired by Vince blaming their movie partners Lionsgate for The Condemned with Steve Austin being such a flop. So now everything is done in house with the idea of having a very short theatrical release then going straight to DVD to save on marketing costs. WWE got a ton of tax breaks too for filming several movies in Louisiana. Moreover, I think to justify the cost of having a full time movie division they need to keep pumping out movies on a regular basis.

Looking stuff up on her I had no idea that Jillian(Hall) had a previous marriage and already had a daughter. I guess she wanted to keep it quiet because "divas" aren't supposed to have offspring or something

I would assume this was pre radical plastic surgery

Guest Paul Kersey

John

A reality TV show is where it's at. Put some of the boys and some of the divas in a house and roll that beautiful bean footage.

I'd also been thinking WWE studios had to be a Vince project. It all looks SO no-effort and low-aiming (like WWE's tv is) that it shows that Vince (or Steph & Gerwitz, now that you mention it) humor. This stuff looks like even it if it's for kids, it's even underestimating tham as an audience. It actually seemes that before, when they had other partners, that there was real effort going into those movies. Am I wrong? is it a deliberate effort to pander? Do they have some Roger Corman-like checklist? I can see Vince insisting that there must be at least one fart or gay joke every 7 minutes.

I guess it's really the same gripe as one can often make about movies in general; it really doesn't seem that hard or expensive to try to make a movie watchable, but apparently it is.

According to the 1993 Observers, they changed on a weekly basis, with Bad Business Brown filling the role at least one week, and the tag team partner of a Kentucky indy wrestler named Jimmy Stone in the masks another week. Apparently, some of the same guys who worked as the Dog Catchers came back a few weeks later and worked as the War Machines.

So I'm rewatching Clash of the Champions 19 and loving it. It's the "NWA Tag Tournament". I just rewatched Pillman and Liger vs. Benoit and Beef Wellington, and it's a fun match. But, was Wellington always this awful? It's the only time I've ever seen him wrestle. I can't figure out if he was trying to sandbag Liger or if he just sucked. Cause man, that guy sucked. Pillman, Liger, and Benoit were all really great here and Wellington just sucked.

I wanted to notify everyone here that they have got to watch Savage vs Garvin from ICW in the cage. It's got to be one of the best territory matches from the 80s. As far as Savage's matches ago, it is actually one of my two fav Savage matches now. Better than even the Maple Leaf Gardens match against Steamboat.

Savage and Garvin are awesome punchers and in wrestling where punching often doens't mean anything to the fans, it's awesome that these two were able to make this match so brutal. Savage is one of the best punchers in wrestling and Garvin as most hardcore fans know is a fav here too in this department. This match feels very rugged and rough, very stiff in its own distinct style. Everything is structred very, very well. Savage as I mentioned before is one of the best at body language inside the ring and here is another prime example. His selling is tottally off the charts here which is needed because this match is brutal with a capital B. An incredible match. My fav Garvin match of all time though I would have to rewatch Garvin vs Valentine from the Rumble as I haven't seen that since it aired.

So the burning question after TNA's PPV is whether their champ is a physical wreck, or their top draw is drug-addled, or both.

T-N-A! T-N-A!

Dave added an update to the site:

The 1:28 main event was more due to them being concerned about Jeff Hardy wrestling than Sting wrestling.