Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to take a look. I suspect someone was using it in the 70s. :)

It did go out of fashion... not sure why. Equally as silly/fun things remained over: Kyoko and Hase doing the Giant Swing and getting a "count" with it. Suspect that someone could have done it as a spot in the 90s, got it over as one of their spots, and then others started lifting it.

John

Here's a comment that doesn't warrant a thread if there ever was one:

At MSG on Saturday (great show BTW, but I don't have a ton to say about it right now), I noticed something. I don't know if it's something they were instructed to do or that they all came up with themselves, but all of the women walk to the ring the same way. They stay dead center so nobody can touch them (even in the narrow MSG aisleway) and only move towards the fans to slap hands with children. Then they're back in the middle of the aisle or the lanes inside the rails around the ring as soon as possible, only moving to the side for the occasional child. The male wrestlers all walked out differently. It was pretty clear that the women were all trying to desperately avoid the possibility of being groped, which is pretty sad, though I don't blame them, especially after seeing that one clip (which I can't find right now) where an ROH fans tries to grab Lacey's breast.

I was at the show too, really enjoyed it. Can't say I noticed that about the divas though

I was on the Observer board reading everyone complain about how terrible RAW and the Mania build are. And it occured to me that smart fans pretty much spent 1984-1996 complaining about the state of American wrestling (Damn you for killing the territories Vince!) and now 2001-2011. So we've apparently had about 4 good years in the past 26, but still keep watching.

True fans of wrestling are no different than true fans of any team in a legit sport. Fan of the Red Sox or Cowboys bitch, moan, complain, rant, rave, and go crazy if their team loses. Sometimes they're not even happy if their team wins. But that sort of negative emotional reaction does not mean they aren't fans, it just means they're passionate (and a little unreasonable). They invest a lot of time and money into following their team and they want some return on that investment. The only time to get worried is when there is no reaction at all. Negativity still means fans care, apathy means they quit paying attention.

I certainly understand that those who complain care about the product, but the problem is they want it to be a product that they personally prefer regardless of what is actually working.

To put this into perspective, I can remember Dallas Cowboys fans who complained about the firing of Tom Landry and no doubt felt they were justified after the Cowboys went 1-15 under Jimmy Johnson. No doubt Johnson's later success pacified them, but if they looked a little closer, it was evident the game had changed and that what had worked for Landry previously wasn't necessarily going to keep working.

Of course, fans today who complain about the wrestling product can rightly point to WWE not drawing the numbers it used to draw and TNA doing terrible from nearly every business standpoint, but the fans don't always realize that what they happened to like from the past isn't necessarily going to work today. They don't always understand that there was a difference between how the territories worked and how wrestling works best on a national level (in other words, Ric Flair wasn't going to be able to duplicate Hogan's success if he had been the guy Vince picked to headline his company) nor do they understand that WWE, as a national company, is going to target its product to where they see its fanbase demographics heading and where they believe they can draw in the most new fans, rather than just playing to the current fans.

That's one of the reasons WWE went with the Attitude Era circa 1998 and pushed Austin to the top... they didn't just see Austin getting strong reactions from the current fanbase, but saw him as somebody who could bring in more fans who weren't watching at that point. And even when WWF was hot at that point, you had plenty of fans who complained about much they disliked the product. For those that enjoyed it, they seemed to think WWF was promoting a product directed to those who grew up with it and wanted something more to their tastes, rather than a product designed to build up a new audience along with it.

Counting Punched In The Corner is a spot that trancends more.

We've all seen throwaway shitty clotheslines do little to up tepid fan interest. But if they go to the corner, the face hops up on the ropes and starts punching the hell, the fans will count along.

For what it's worth, I've seen that spot cause absolutely zero fan response on several occasions. Usually when it's some green kid who is a shitty actor with no fire, and the crowd doesn't give a fuck about anything they do. Same deal with stuff like standard sleeper hold "the arm drops twice, but not three times" spots, which are usually a guaranteed reaction, but not always. I know it goes without saying, but any spot in the world can be fucked up either through poor execution or just fans who don't have any investment in the wrestlers.

I've seen the same thing with a lariat. Shitty match, no one cares, throw out a few of those and no one cares.

I'd agree with Loss' general point: it is one of the "safe" spots that almost always picks the crowd up.

John

There isn't a wrestling fan in the States that doesn't, at least a little, want to be involved in what's going on. Past a heel specifically taunting members of the crowd or a babyface asking the crowd if they want "one more" of a move, I don't think there's anything that involves them so directly as the ten-count punches in the corner.

I'd have to take a look. I suspect someone was using it in the 70s. :)

It did go out of fashion... not sure why. Equally as silly/fun things remained over: Kyoko and Hase doing the Giant Swing and getting a "count" with it. Suspect that someone could have done it as a spot in the 90s, got it over as one of their spots, and then others started lifting it.

John

The giant swing is another one of those spots that always seems to get a reaction, I remember seeing someone do one in a throwaway generic WWE diva match of all things and even there it got a "YEAH, GIANT SWING!" pop.

There isn't a wrestling fan in the States that doesn't, at least a little, want to be involved in what's going on. Past a heel specifically taunting members of the crowd or a babyface asking the crowd if they want "one more" of a move, I don't think there's anything that involves them so directly as the ten-count punches in the corner.

This is maybe the worse move in the history of wrestling. When I first started watching the WWF, I thought it was the thing that exposed wrestling the most. This and its brother the 10 repeated head slams into the turnbuckle. Yes, it gets crowd participation but man is it horrible. There have only ever been a few people in the history of wrestling who have done great stuff with this move. I was so happy when I discovered Japanese wrestling and realised among other stupid typical North American wrestling cliches they didn't do this. I don't know but I gather the reason it is not used in the WWE anymore is because people in power realised it was pretty corny and the negatives outweighed the postives so thankfully it is gone. Good riddance and good for the WWE. Keep it is as minimal as poeple or at least only let people who can do it actually do it.

This is maybe the worse move in the history of wrestling. When I first started watching the WWF, I thought it was the thing that exposed wrestling the most. This and its brother the 10 repeated head slams into the turnbuckle. Yes, it gets crowd participation but man is it horrible. There have only ever been a few people in the history of wrestling who have done great stuff with this move. I was so happy when I discovered Japanese wrestling and realised among other stupid typical North American wrestling cliches they didn't do this. I don't know but I gather the reason it is not used in the WWE anymore is because people in power realised it was pretty corny and the negatives outweighed the postives so thankfully it is gone. Good riddance and good for the WWE. Keep it is as minimal as poeple or at least only let people who can do it actually do it.

Punches to the face aren't intense enough for you?

Punches to the face aren't intense enough for you?

A lot of the time no. The punches in the corner spot almost never looked good as far a believablity goes. Only a couple of people I have ever seen have made this spot great. A lot of times people don't put enough heart into it either.

I also find it very annoying that the heels would always get caught by the move and never the faces. I also hate it when people use too many punches and make them meaningless in a wrestling match..

I don't know but I gather the reason it is not used in the WWE anymore is because people in power realised it was pretty corny and the negatives outweighed the postives so thankfully it is gone.

It's cute that you believe that.

This is maybe the worse move in the history of wrestling. When I first started watching the WWF, I thought it was the thing that exposed wrestling the most. This and its brother the 10 repeated head slams into the turnbuckle. Yes, it gets crowd participation but man is it horrible.

I actually agree with you on this. IIRC, on the Rise and Fall of WCW DVD, the match between the Steiner Brothers and The Outsiders, Rick tries to do the mounted turnbuckle punching to Hall, who keeps trying to just walk away from it, but Rick kept pulling him back. It looked terrible. But yeah, it is a bad move.

I just finished the Al Snow "Guest Booker" DVD. It's not as bad as the Mike Graham version, only because Al isn't completely full of shit. But you definitely get the impression that Al is out of touch with how things work, he makes statements such as saying that Hogan/Andre was the best match of WM3 because that's what drew the house. He also harps over and over again on the fact that people who aren't in the business don't know shit about it.

Finlay released

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=56522

Dream matches ahoy?

According to the article he was released because he was "in charge" of the house show where they booked Miz to interrupt the National Anthem with the National Guard in attendance. I'm no "USA USA USA" American-flag-vest wearing patriot, but I even know that's a really, really stupid idea.

I just finished the Al Snow "Guest Booker" DVD. It's not as bad as the Mike Graham version, only because Al isn't completely full of shit. But you definitely get the impression that Al is out of touch with how things work, he makes statements such as saying that Hogan/Andre was the best match of WM3 because that's what drew the house. He also harps over and over again on the fact that people who aren't in the business don't know shit about it.

Standard Al Snow spiel then.

When was the point Al Snow went from movezy, indy darling to "selling tickets is all that matters" bitter dude? Was there some sort of mental breakdown involved?

Standard Al Snow spiel then.

When was the point Al Snow went from movezy, indy darling to "selling tickets is all that matters" bitter dude? Was there some sort of mental breakdown involved?

Al Sow was already unbearable when he taped his second Shoot Interview. He was alla bout defending WWF, about how he was the only one responsible for not making the most out of the great opportunity Vince gave him, about how people who never worked in the business don't know shit about it. Really went from a fun guy to a über serious, bordering agressive and delusional guy, sounding like he was brainwashed by his second WWE stint. Of course the most ridiculous point he made was "There is only ONE pop per show. At the end. All the other pops are not really pops, and it only leads to the real POP at the end." Or some nonsense. I really don't want to hear this Guest Booker issue. Plus when did Al Snow became an expert on how to work a match, when all he did during his career was pretty much spot matches. Not exactly the posterboy for psychology, building a match, nor drawing money for that matter.