Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too long ago one of the topics around here was bemoaning the lack of monster fat guys in WWE these days, and lo and behold Brodus Clay has become quite the effective monster even if his role as Alberto's personal asskicker is more than a little shoehorned storyline wise.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Vince notices there's a fat guy on his TV and fires him, but it's fun while it lasts.

Not too long ago one of the topics around here was bemoaning the lack of monster fat guys in WWE these days, and lo and behold Brodus Clay has become quite the effective monster even if his role as Alberto's personal asskicker is more than a little shoehorned storyline wise.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Vince notices there's a fat guy on his TV and fires him, but it's fun while it lasts.

They like the guy because he's dropped about 50-75 pounds since being in developmental unlike a guy like Husky Harris.

Saw this on PWTorch:

U.S. champion Sheamus beat Daniel Bryan in a Street Fight to retain the U.S. Title. Great match that went about 20 minutes. These two went everywhere and had great spots in a long match. I hope to see it at WrestleMania. Sheamus won with the Brogue Kick.

Happened yesterday (3-18). I'd like to see that on Raw or as the reviewer said, WrestleMania.

Riki Choshu has the greatest theme music in wrestling history.

Wrong. Terry Funk's AJPW theme music is the best - Midnight Express is two. I might accept Choshu as third though.

Muta's 89 theme is the best I've ever heard

filling out my top 5

2. Midnights

3. 2nd Vader theme

4. Muta's 4th theme

5. Jake Roberts 1st WWF theme

The effort put into it, and the ramp up of releases/projects, speaks a bit more than a Vince Vanity Project. One a year would do the trick. Releases in 9/10, 10/10, 2/11 and 4/11 looks more like someone is quite engaged in it. They also changed their business model last year from what had been more of a vanity project into something different.

Vince checks out of vanity projects pretty fast: boxing, movies the first time around, WBF, XFL, etc.

Maybe Dave has covered it, and it's among the many things I skim through in the WON as WWE business reports tend to get repetative and sleepy over the years. It's also such a drop in the bucket of company revenues and costs that it doesn't matter much. Still, some folks in the company seem to have a ying for this.

John

A reality TV show is where it's at. Put some of the boys and some of the divas in a house and roll that beautiful bean footage.

Put some of the WWE legends like Iron Sheik and Dusty Rhodes in their own reality show and that's where it's really at.

The effort put into it, and the ramp up of releases/projects, speaks a bit more than a Vince Vanity Project. One a year would do the trick. Releases in 9/10, 10/10, 2/11 and 4/11 looks more like someone is quite engaged in it. They also changed their business model last year from what had been more of a vanity project into something different.

Vince checks out of vanity projects pretty fast: boxing, movies the first time around, WBF, XFL, etc.

Maybe Dave has covered it, and it's among the many things I skim through in the WON as WWE business reports tend to get repetative and sleepy over the years. It's also such a drop in the bucket of company revenues and costs that it doesn't matter much. Still, some folks in the company seem to have a ying for this.

John

A reality TV show is where it's at. Put some of the boys and some of the divas in a house and roll that beautiful bean footage.

Put some of the WWE legends like Iron Sheik and Dusty Rhodes in their own reality show and that's where it's really at.

I don't get the appeal of batshit crazy Iron Sheik. This poor guy is pathetic at this point. I hope he works his gimmick to a point, but I doubt it. I guess he made some money out of milking his insanity, but still...

But yeah, I agree a crass reality TV show is the logical evolution at this point. Put some young punks and some old cranky workers. And forget about PG ratings. That would be awful, but perversely entertaining.

Saw this on PWTorch:

U.S. champion Sheamus beat Daniel Bryan in a Street Fight to retain the U.S. Title. Great match that went about 20 minutes. These two went everywhere and had great spots in a long match. I hope to see it at WrestleMania. Sheamus won with the Brogue Kick.

Happened yesterday (3-18). I'd like to see that on Raw or as the reviewer said, WrestleMania.

They'd be lucky to get 8 minutes at Mania.

I just saw this pic

Posted Image

and it reminded me of how the old Apter mags used to go on and on about how awesome Don Leo Jonathan was. I can't recall ever actually seeing any footage of him wrestling. Was he good?

From what I've seen of him, he was ok, but the Apter mag push was over-the-top in terms of how good he really was.

Existing footage makes it a small sample-size, however.

I don't get the appeal of batshit crazy Iron Sheik. This poor guy is pathetic at this point. I hope he works his gimmick to a point, but I doubt it. I guess he made some money out of milking his insanity, but still...

Ditto. It's a modern version of gawking at the freaks in a carnival sideshow. The only episode of Cabana's podcast that I skipped was the one with Sheiky baby.

It's hard to tell. The All Japan footage of DLJ doesn't flatter him at all. He has a couple of flashy spots for a very big guy, but overall just doesn't look good relative to other gaijin.

Guy fall into several buckets:

* Damn he looks good

* he looks kinds interesting-good, I'd like to see more to confirm

* there are some flashes, need to see more

* not sure what's going on here... these opponents have good matches with others

Baron Von Rascke has a match with I think Dory Funk Jr in the 1975 Open League where you're thinking he falls into category #2. There's enough there of him working holds and other things where you think that rather than just being a gimmick guy we saw in the 80s, he could go if in there with a good opponent (i.e. balancing the gimmick with working holds and whatnot).

Now that might now be a surprise to people who saw him in the 70s in there with good/decent workers working a balanced match. But to someone who saw his 80s stuff in Crockett, it was a surprise.

70's DLJ falls into the last group. Other than the couple of flashy spots, he doesn't look good. He's big, and that's impressive... but he doesn't look good at that time.

Perhaps in the 60s, or working more of a feuding match, he was better. It is later in his career.

On the other hand, Pat O'Connor is in the same tourney with at least one singles match and a tag match available. He looks old as dirt. But there's enough in those matches where you get a sense that this is a guy who could go when younger, and would have been a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

So I don't want to bag on DLJ too much. But I'd also love to see a match that reflected better on him.

John

On DLJ: Keep in mind that the bigger the body, the faster it ages. I think he looked good in those AJ matches and that's well after the peak for someone his size.

Riki Choshu has the greatest theme music in wrestling history.

Apparently not:

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=54186

Anti-japan bias.;) If Power Hall isn't the greatest wrestling theme ever, it sure is very close to it.