Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

If I can swerve the discussion of this angle, it's a real shame that Lawler's WWE past hasn't come back to haunt him in this feud. For instance, Michael Cole could have put together a video package of all the major stuff Jerry did as a heel (ruining Bret's KOTR coronation and insulting his family and making a big scene over Jake Roberts' alcoholism come to mind). Would have given the angle as much depth as using the family has been.

WWE likes to avoid their own history when convienent though I must say they are a LOT better at remembering than they were in the past. I am guessing they don't want to hurt some of Lawler's face heat so I don't think Cole would be allowed to do something like that.

In any other angle Lawler could be in, yeah I see your point. But this works for me on a level of duality, because Michael is basically doing the same things Lawler did, and Heenan before Jerry. One way it could have worked is if Cole used that opportunity to say how he admired those things in Jerry and was severely let down when he "softened up", but didn't let it come to the surface until recently.

And yeah, their amnesia to certain things really bother me like they do anything else, but I'll also agree they are better at it now than before. That's why I like the Punk/Orton angle because it is Randy's heel antics coming home to roost.

Yeah, if Cole were to do that, than that is the way he should bring it up.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can swerve the discussion of this angle, it's a real shame that Lawler's WWE past hasn't come back to haunt him in this feud. For instance, Michael Cole could have put together a video package of all the major stuff Jerry did as a heel (ruining Bret's KOTR coronation and insulting his family and making a big scene over Jake Roberts' alcoholism come to mind). Would have given the angle as much depth as using the family has been.

WWE did that a few times before with Shawn, I'm specifically remembering during his time teaming with Cena before WM 23, there was a video on RAW of all the various times he'd turned on partners.

K, I got a question about Super Strong Machine, Tenyru and Choshu.

In the 90s, how many matches did each of these guys lose? I don't want to know against who as even though I watched a lot of 90s puroresu I haven't seen everything. I am just curious how many matches they lost. I have an approximate idea but want to get an accurate one. I'm guessing JDW knows.

The greatest US Tag worker ever from a loose kayfabe perspective has to be either Arn or Eaton, no?

Eaton had, at least, the teams with Koko, Condrey, Lane, Arn, Benoit, Keirn, Regal/Taylor.

Arn had Ole, Tully, Larry, Eaton, Roma (well, they did have the belts) and Mongo.

Those are just regular partners. Bobby was part of the Heavenly Bodies for a while, technically. He won tag titles with George Gulas and Lanny Poffo and a six-man with Tojo Yamamoto.

Arn often tagged with Flair or Pillman or other horsemen and had a short run tagging with Austin or other Studd Stable members.

In the 90s, how many matches did each of these guys lose? I don't want to know against who as even though I watched a lot of 90s puroresu I haven't seen everything. I am just curious how many matches they lost. I have an approximate idea but want to get an accurate one. I'm guessing JDW knows.

Super Strong Machine was a midcarder and as such probably lost multiple times per tour.

Choshu was someone who would book himself to job at forgettable mid-tour shows so without full results there's no way of knowing.

SWS and WAR results other than their absolute biggest shows are hard to come by so there's no way of knowing for sure about Tenryu.

Barry Windham has the best clothesline ever, Hansen be damned.

Please do not tell Stan Hansen I said that.

I really think this is up in the air. There are a bunch of people who could say they have the best. The Steiners, Dynamite, Benoit, Hansen, Windham reminds me that I love PIllman's jump/flyhing clothesline from the ring canvas, Kobashi and others. I know I'm not mentioning a lot.

Honestly... who the fuck knows. Order the WONs and look up 10 years of results in roughly 500+ issues.

John

The whole idea that WWE wants to have no usage of the word "wrestling" in almost anything it does has gone beyond ridiculous. If they honestly think calling themselves an "entertainment" company means they'll be distanced from everything that's considered "negative" about pro wrestling, just wait until they find out how plenty of that "negative" stuff happens in other forms of entertainment as well.

Losing the ring would probably be a plus for them at this point. That way, they can have the celebrity host come and do an opening monologue, run video packages, then someone can come out to a 5 minute entrance, and do a promo which gets interrupted by someone else having a 5 minute entrance. A couple of people can hit their big move or use a chair, then the host can wrap it up at the end. Vince finally gets to have his own real-life version of The Muppet Show.

Losing the ring would probably be a plus for them at this point. That way, they can have the celebrity host come and do an opening monologue, run video packages, then someone can come out to a 5 minute entrance, and do a promo which gets interrupted by someone else having a 5 minute entrance. A couple of people can hit their big move or use a chair, then the host can wrap it up at the end. Vince finally gets to have his own real-life version of The Muppet Show.

Reminds me of the South Park W.T.F. episode:

Posted Image

Reminds me of the South Park W.T.F. episode:

Posted Image

A lot of people have been drawing those comparisons lately.