Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed on El-P about Snow. Sadly, he changed from a fun, good-humored, hard-working fellow into the generic bitter old veteran asshole with questionable-at-best philosophy on da biz. Blame his long stint behind the scenes in the WWE, I guess; nowadays he doesn't sound like he's even the same person from his interviews back in the 90s.

It's worth noting that Al Snow told the New York Times last year that he has neurological damage from his wrestling career which caused numbness on his right side, hearing loss and memory problems.

Yeah, Al was a pretty fun, relatively level headed guy back in the early/mid-90s. But the business tends to drive everyone nuts eventually, so it's not a surprise.

John

But none of the old him ever seems to break out bar the corny joke lines of him saying he is looking into becoming a magician for the blind.

This is definitely random, but those of you with a Wii, they recently added Natsume Championship Wrestling for the SNES for download. I remember hating that game for a good year, until I finally figured out the timing and it quickly became one of my fav Super NES wrestling games.

I believe it's actually a port of a japanese All Japan game.

Observer said Lawler will not be using a Piledriver at Wrestlemania. Just curious what everyone thought about that. Big deal, not a big deal? Good decision?

Piledrivers have been too dangerous for the longest time in the WWF.

I remember once Lawler saying perhaps in an interview that when approached by someone over the safety of the piledriver he was going to take that he said he couldn't guarantee the safety of it though his oppononet probably wouldn't be injured. We wouldn't want Lawler injuring Cole's neck at Wrestlemania so this is a good decision.

I'd figure his big finish would be the old "pull the strap down on the 2nd rope and come down with a punch" routine he's done for eons.

He should take notes from Angle in the WWF/WWE and modernize the strap pull down spot. Angle revolutionised this spot by adding a fake tease with it and than doing the real pull down the strap spot later on in the match. He made it cool and the way he incorporated it into his matches with perfect timing, intelligence and brillinat creativity should be studied by all wrestlers in how to engage a crowd.

Observer said Lawler will not be using a Piledriver at Wrestlemania. Just curious what everyone thought about that. Big deal, not a big deal? Good decision?

Insanely retarded unless Lawler isn't physically able to do it safely. But shit, Terry Funk was doing safe piledrivers at the same age, and he had no knees.

I'd say it's also possible that they are "saving" the piledriver for Undertaker/HHH, since that one figures to see at least one tombstone piledriver, so it could be a matter of just protecting a main event finish. Besides, it's not really necessary for this particular match, and Lawler hasn't been associated with the piledriver in WWE in at least ten years, so I don't think it's a big deal at all.

Piledrivers have been too dangerous for the longest time in the WWF.

I remember once Lawler saying perhaps in an interview that when approached by someone over the safety of the piledriver he was going to take that he said he couldn't guarantee the safety of it though his oppononet probably wouldn't be injured. We wouldn't want Lawler injuring Cole's neck at Wrestlemania so this is a good decision.

I'd figure his big finish would be the old "pull the strap down on the 2nd rope and come down with a punch" routine he's done for eons.

He should take notes from Angle in the WWF/WWE and modernize the strap pull down spot. Angle revolutionised this spot by adding a fake tease with it and than doing the real pull down the strap spot later on in the match. He made it cool and the way he incorporated it into his matches with perfect timing, intelligence and brillinat creativity should be studied by all wrestlers in how to engage a crowd.

Lawler was doing that fake tease 30 years ago.

Insanely retarded unless Lawler isn't physically able to do it safely.

He definitely can.

I have read Lawler's words in a magazine interview years ago that he can not 100 percent guarantee that he is able to do the piledriver safely to someone. Someone had come up to him, I think someone that wasn't a tradtional wrestler (Maybe Kaufman) and Lawler told them this.

Insanely retarded unless Lawler isn't physically able to do it safely.

He definitely can.

I have read Lawler's words in a magazine interview years ago that he can not 100 percent guarantee that he is able to do the piledriver safely to someone. Someone had come up to him, I think someone that wasn't a tradtional wrestler (Maybe Kaufman) and Lawler told them this.

Kaufman took the all time nastiest looking Lawler piledriver and was fully protected with no injury.

You don't know that 100 percent as it's impossible to tell if Kaufman's neck ever got hurt unless you were Kaufman himself. Even if Kaufman was asked, you still wouldn't know 100 percent. That's like me telling you -- Bix never got hurt playing his favourite activity. I can't know that. Only you do.

The bottom line here is that Lawler himself in a nonkayfabe way warned someone that he couldn't guarantee the safety of his pildervier every time before they got in the ring with him. I am usually down on Lawler because I am scared he might go after too young people sexually but I have to give him credit here for warning a usually non wrestler before they got in the ring with him. Now Lawler is older, so there is even added risk on something going wrong. Plus Lalwer has been known to stiff people.

If I can swerve the discussion of this angle, it's a real shame that Lawler's WWE past hasn't come back to haunt him in this feud. For instance, Michael Cole could have put together a video package of all the major stuff Jerry did as a heel (ruining Bret's KOTR coronation and insulting his family and making a big scene over Jake Roberts' alcoholism come to mind). Would have given the angle as much depth as using the family has been.

If I can swerve the discussion of this angle, it's a real shame that Lawler's WWE past hasn't come back to haunt him in this feud. For instance, Michael Cole could have put together a video package of all the major stuff Jerry did as a heel (ruining Bret's KOTR coronation and insulting his family and making a big scene over Jake Roberts' alcoholism come to mind). Would have given the angle as much depth as using the family has been.

WWE likes to avoid their own history when convienent though I must say they are a LOT better at remembering than they were in the past. I am guessing they don't want to hurt some of Lawler's face heat so I don't think Cole would be allowed to do something like that.

WWE likes to avoid their own history when convienent though I must say they are a LOT better at remembering than they were in the past. I am guessing they don't want to hurt some of Lawler's face heat so I don't think Cole would be allowed to do something like that.

In any other angle Lawler could be in, yeah I see your point. But this works for me on a level of duality, because Michael is basically doing the same things Lawler did, and Heenan before Jerry. One way it could have worked is if Cole used that opportunity to say how he admired those things in Jerry and was severely let down when he "softened up", but didn't let it come to the surface until recently.

And yeah, their amnesia to certain things really bother me like they do anything else, but I'll also agree they are better at it now than before. That's why I like the Punk/Orton angle because it is Randy's heel antics coming home to roost.