Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

Wouldn't be surprised if he left, actually. Last I heard, he was working with Fox Sports out of Phoenix. And for all the shit people throw at Michael Cole, Todd was way more deserving of it.

Pretty sure he left to be a legit reporter, he worked for WWOR in New Jersey for a while and now his Fox Sports gig. It looked like they were grooming him to be the new Mean Gene too.

I remember seeing him on WOR. It was right as they became an original UPN station. I couldn't take him seriously at all. Now that I think of it, I remember when people used to say that Mooney was Vince's son.

Pettingill was so fucking awful. I had been a Stern fan for years and years and to see that Morning Zoo douche on something I loved, (wrestling), was just so annoying.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Todd Pettingill, I read today that AIW out of Ohio is holding the TPI tournament this year.

No, not perennially-cancelled the IWA Mid-South tournament named after Ted Petty.

This TPI is the "Todd Pettingill Invitational" tournament. http://www.aiwrestling.com/

Quite the lineup so far.

Also - does anyone have any info about how long Akira Tozawa is staying in the United States? I ask because I've seen his name pop up on the lineups of various US indies of all shapes and sizes every weekend for the past few months.

Just to add to the WWF Announcer "Where are they now?" discussion, Craig DeGeorge is a host/commentator for the Florida Panthers of the NHL. he goes by his real name but I don't remember it offhand.

Craig Minervini. He's apparently a pre-game host for both the Panthers and the Florida Marlins of MLB.

Posted Image

I'm surprised to hear that Mooney felt mutually acrimoniously with the WWF. I know that he deleted any reference to the company from his résumé, but my thinking was simply that he didn't want to hinder his prospects by including wrestling.

A poster on another board (and lurker here) sent him a drunken email one night and found a reply his inbox the next morning:

Sent: 20 May 2010 03:43:51

To: Gareth XXXXXXX ([email protected])

Gareth,

Thank you for taking the time to drop me a note. I too have been nostalgic as of late for the great times I had when I was with the WWF. This past week I did a "Legends of Wrestling" autograph show in New Jersey and I was amazed at how many people really enjoyed the work I did back then. I love to hear from people who after all this time still remember the great video's his Lordship and I did. I have actually been talking to the folks with the WWE about coming back. Drop Vince a line and let him know you think it is a great idea!

I also have a soft spot in my heart for Wales. When I was in college I played the great game of Rugby and toured your wonderful country. It remains as one of the great experiences of my life.

All the best,

Sean

Pettingill was the one who left with bad blood, not Mooney. By all accounts Mooney was just a dude who wanted to move beyond being the Events Center guy but generally liked his gig.

No one liked Todd because he came off like the asshole morning zoo host that he was, so I guess truth in advertising and all.

Mooney also returned on one of those Raw specials. I think it was the return to USA.

Watching the Angle/Jarrett match from Lockdown and Angle is just fucking nuts. He almost landed on his head on a Top rope Powerbomb. Then he did a top of the cage moonsalt to nowhere. Even if he wanted to go to WWE, I doubt they would accept him now.

Mooney also returned on one of those Raw specials. I think it was the return to USA.

Watching the Angle/Jarrett match from Lockdown and Angle is just fucking nuts. He almost landed on his head on a Top rope Powerbomb. Then he did a top of the cage moonsalt to nowhere. Even if he wanted to go to WWE, I doubt they would accept him now.

Wasnt sure about posting about that match here. But I was begging Angle to stop and stop now during the match. Angle being Angle popped up after all that to give a second rope running Angle slam. Dude just cant help himself. Super over booked too.

Speaking of Savage, watching the 3/18/89 MSG show on demand and Lanny Poffo's doing one of his poems where he starts heeling on Hulk Hogan and saying Savage was going to win at Wrestlemania V (which was in a couple of weeks). This was before the Genius gimmick, and I guess it was as close as they ever got to acknowledging the relationship between Lanny and Randy.

Wasnt sure about posting about that match here. But I was begging Angle to stop and stop now during the match.

I had my younger friends in their Skype chat playing in the background last night. In between all of the "FUCKING TNA" and "FUCKING RUSSO" complaining, during the Kurt match they were basically just pleading and praying that he'd quit trying this shit. Even the inexperienced kids can tell that Angle shouldn't be doing this risky nonsense.

You know, considering their recent (as in late 90s on up) history, I wonder if Randy Savage had debuted in 1998 with the exact same gimmick they wouldn't have pushed Liz as the breakout star of the act instead.

Which is funny, considering that they otherwise refuse to ever treat any women like they might be a draw. Certainly the chicks are rarely pushed as anything more than an eye-candy sideshow to the real program.

Even if he wanted to go to WWE, I doubt they would accept him now.

Yeah, I wonder what Joseph Maroon would make of Kurt Angle's neck? You also had Flair taking bumps on his torn rotator cuff. But then again Hogan is one of the guys in charge, whose recent tweets about Edge and Desmond Wolfe suggest he has no qualms about a wrestler working against their doctor's orders.

Pettingill was the one who left with bad blood, not Mooney. By all accounts Mooney was just a dude who wanted to move beyond being the Events Center guy but generally liked his gig.

No one liked Todd because he came off like the asshole morning zoo host that he was, so I guess truth in advertising and all.

What I'd like to know is this: How was it that Pettingill lasted several years with WWF and others who clearly didn't work out, such as Rob Bartlett and Charlie Minh, weren't there very long? Did he get signed to a multi-year deal or was WWF just so intent on having some goofy, "get hyped" announcer as part of the show?

Speaking of Savage, watching the 3/18/89 MSG show on demand and Lanny Poffo's doing one of his poems where he starts heeling on Hulk Hogan and saying Savage was going to win at Wrestlemania V (which was in a couple of weeks). This was before the Genius gimmick, and I guess it was as close as they ever got to acknowledging the relationship between Lanny and Randy.

I think the Genius also read a poem/MC'ed during the Macho King coronation on Superstars.

So, Nikolai Volkoff was in Mid-South in 1984...but wasn't he in the WWF at the same time? Was there a deal made between Watts and Vince? Or was Volkoff actually not in the WWF for a bit and went back in the same year he worked in Mid-South? I just seem to remember Volkoff on WWF TV all that year. Granted, I was 13-14 at the time and my memory is really faded. Did he come in to the WWF from Watts at the same time as JYD, who also was in Mid-South and the WWF in 1984? Neidhart was in both promotions in 1984 as well, now that I think of it.

What I'd like to know is this: How was it that Pettingill lasted several years with WWF and others who clearly didn't work out, such as Rob Bartlett and Charlie Minh, weren't there very long? Did he get signed to a multi-year deal or was WWF just so intent on having some goofy, "get hyped" announcer as part of the show?

I think he had a multi year deal, and it was also a JR kind of situation where they couldn't find anyone better to replace him.

So, Nikolai Volkoff was in Mid-South in 1984...but wasn't he in the WWF at the same time? Was there a deal made between Watts and Vince? Or was Volkoff actually not in the WWF for a bit and went back in the same year he worked in Mid-South? I just seem to remember Volkoff on WWF TV all that year. Granted, I was 13-14 at the time and my memory is really faded. Did he come in to the WWF from Watts at the same time as JYD, who also was in Mid-South and the WWF in 1984? Neidhart was in both promotions in 1964 as well, now that I think of it.

According to Cawthon's site Volkoff made his first WWF appearance that year on July 31. Volkoff wrestled two Superdome shows, in November of '83 and April of '84. Volkoff did not wrestle at all in the WWF in 1983. So it would appear Volkoff wrestled in Mid-South, finished up and signed with Vince.