Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Benoit apparantly had his ear(s) punched until they started bleeding when training in the NJPW dojo. Where did this piece of info come from? Scott Norton I thought someone might have said one time? I don't know.

Was this a common occurance, a one time deal or myth? I lean towards it being real but I want to know where the info comes from since I like to know as much as possible about the Japanese dojos as I can. Sound like being a Navy Seal would be easier.

So Benoit apparantly had his ear(s) punched until they started bleeding when training in the NJPW dojo. Where did this piece of info come from? Scott Norton I thought someone might have said one time? I don't know.

Was this a common occurance, a one time deal or myth? I lean towards it being real but I want to know where the info comes from since I like to know as much as possible about the Japanese dojos as I can. Sound like being a Navy Seal would be easier.

I'm going to assume that came from the book "Ring of Hell", which spent some time on the harsh dojo conditions.

How much had Benoit trained when he entered the NJ dojo? I always got the impression that if a Japanese promotion thought you'd paid your dues elsewhere, they wouldn't rough you up too bad. But he had been a pro 4-5 years upon entering the dojo and still went through that. Have we heard anything along those lines from Scorpio?

How much had Benoit trained when he entered the NJ dojo? I always got the impression that if a Japanese promotion thought you'd paid your dues elsewhere, they wouldn't rough you up too bad. But he had been a pro 4-5 years upon entering the dojo and still went through that. Have we heard anything along those lines from Scorpio?

Benoit had gone through the dungeon and started working some Stampede. Than he went over to NJPW but this was very, very shortly after becoming a pro in Stampede. He did time there, than came home briefly for Christmas before going back again. I believe his first match was agaisnt Pancrase's legendary Fuanki. I know Funaki's first was against Benoit, a time limit draw. After he finished with NJPW, from than on he was mostly in Stampede (he may have done a few NJPW dates inbetween here) before going back to Japan under the mask in 90 as Pegasus Kid.

Something I thought of during a little email exchange with Ditch. For as long as he's been using the STF(U) as one of his finishers, Cena really applies the hold like shit. Is there anyone else that anyone can think of who has worked holds so poorly and uses them as a main move or a finish?

I haven't watched any WWE programs regularly since I stopped watching RAW in 1999, but I feel like Tough Enough will be the first WWE show I'll actually follow. I could watch Austin cut promos on these goofballs all day long.

Austin's reaction to Ariane retarded choice of a favourite match was priceless. And I love the fact that Michelle girl thinks she's a 11 year veteran. Fantastic. This si so much better than WrestleMania. Plus I heard "wrestling" and "belts" and a WWE TV show.

Something I thought of during a little email exchange with Ditch. For as long as he's been using the STF(U) as one of his finishers, Cena really applies the hold like shit. Is there anyone else that anyone can think of who has worked holds so poorly and uses them as a main move or a finish?

Rock's sharpshooter was pathetic. Scott Steiner's Steiner Recliner looked like he wouldn't hurt a little puppy, the worst camel clutch ever.

I spoof:

WWE plans bonuses for wrestlers fined at Mania

Undertaker and HHH were both privately given bonuses of an undisclosed (but very large) amount for stealing the show and having by far the best match on the card.

Watched The Rise And Fall Of WCW on Netflix today. I was quite surprised at how little face time Vince or anyone on his side who didn't work for Turner before at the time had on camera. Unlike the Monday Night Wars doc, It was never mentioned once that WWE killed WCW in the ratings towards the end, and focused more on the real reasons why the company folded which everyone here knows.

I'll even go as far as to say it was a puff piece, because it glossed over the fact that Hogan didn't get any bit of the desired response WCW wanted him to get. And I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Common wisdom says that Ted DiBiase was a broomstick worker. I've seen a lot of guys here and on DVDR dispute this and there seems to be a counter-orthodoxy that DiBiase wasn't that great.

Can someone elucidate the reasons as to why?

I mean everything I've ever seen the guy do as been great, so I don't understand where this counter-orthodoxy has come from.

I don't think the criticism of DiBiase has been that he wasn't as good, as much as it is that he was promoted as a Flair/Race-type wrestler and doesn't really have that 30-minute, non-gimmicked title match on his resume that someone can point to. The other thing is that he has the rep, but doesn't really have too many matches that can be pointed to as all-time classics.

You won't find too much push back to the idea that DiBiase was really good, though. The debate is over how good.

DiBiase was really good, really solid, but he never had any great performance, any great match that really stands out. Greatest wrestler who never had a great match or simply a damn solid and consistant worker that barely had any bad match ? I tend to think it's the later. DiBiase would deliver something at least good, at best very good, but I've never seen any great match involving DiBiase. I've seen way worst workers than DIBiase (even some shitty workers like Warrior) having great matches, and I don't mean being carried like a broom. So, there it is. DiBiase is kinda like Tito Santana to me, a damn good worker, and that's a positive.

You guys don't think any of the 1988 series with Savage were great matches?

There's a good 10-minute Dustin Rhodes match from early '91. Dustin was very green in that match too.

I also think the the crowd reaction of the Virgil matches and just how OVER Virgil was in 1991 are testament to his sheer ability.

Matches with Jake and Warrior are at least ***.

Isn't that the point though? He wasn't a guy you put in there with Stamboat. He was a guy you put in there with Warrior or Virgil or a green Dustin Rhodes, or Boss Man. Or Hogan even. And he'd give you the best possible match that guy could have.

Isn't that the definition of a broomstick worker? Aren't his performances in those matches "great"?

Ok, Flair could carry Luger to a ****+ match, but Luger was a lot better than Warrior or Virgil.

You guys don't think any of the 1988 series with Savage were great matches?

There's a good 10-minute Dustin Rhodes match from early '91. Dustin was very green in that match too.

I also think the the crowd reaction of the Virgil matches and just how OVER Virgil was in 1991 are testament to his sheer ability.

Matches with Jake and Warrior are at least ***.

Isn't that the point though? He wasn't a guy you put in there with Stamboat. He was a guy you put in there with Warrior or Virgil or a green Dustin Rhodes, or Boss Man. Or Hogan even. And he'd give you the best possible match that guy could have.

Isn't that the definition of a broomstick worker? Aren't his performances in those matches "great"?

Ok, Flair could carry Luger to a ****+ match, but Luger was a lot better than Warrior or Virgil.

DiBiase is not as good as Savage. Savage got a great match out of Warrior. Heck, Slaughter & Hogan had better matches with Warrior then DiBiase did. Bobby Heenan too.

Plus Savage-DiBiase isn't as good as either of the Savage-Warrior matches.

Does he talk at all about his bookings in Japan?

Very little in the "so what are you up to lately" saying he isnt bitter and just having a lot of fun well outside one match in Japan which he wasnt going to talk about muttering his breath that it wasnt his fault.

DiBiase was really good, really solid, but he never had any great performance, any great match that really stands out. Greatest wrestler who never had a great match or simply a damn solid and consistant worker that barely had any bad match ? I tend to think it's the later. DiBiase would deliver something at least good, at best very good, but I've never seen any great match involving DiBiase. I've seen way worst workers than DIBiase (even some shitty workers like Warrior) having great matches, and I don't mean being carried like a broom. So, there it is. DiBiase is kinda like Tito Santana to me, a damn good worker, and that's a positive.

Dibiasise was a strong wrestler who did great at being a heel

Santana's high end matches are great. Perfect on SNME was an underrated classic imo. He had at least 2 awesome matches with Savage and a terrific match with Martel on SNME. Santana had the fire, charisma and intensity you need as a babyface to make his matches work. So much so that I noticed the fans at least around me were confused on why he lost so much. I would hear youngsters call him the best wrestler in the WWF while he was actually being depushed.