Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really happy that Kaitlyn won WWE NXT Season 3. I was sold after her Halloween costume was Vickie Guerrero. Granted Kaitlyn is dreadful in the ring but this is the WWE "Diva" division (if she works at all) and the last thing that matters there is wrestling talent. She is entertaining (at least to me) so I think she will do well. As long as there is room for people like Kelly Kelly and Melina, Kaitlyn should be fine.

I also want to say that although I was not thrilled with how it made Wade Barrett look, I was pretty happy to see The Miz win the WWE title. Talk about a strong year for him! He has definitely come a long way.

Dan G had it on his 1974-81 misc NJPW TV set:

DVD #7 [Total time 108'49"]1978

December 14 : Osaka Pref. Gymnasium

WWWF Heavyweight Championship / Backlund vs Inoki [W=36'18"]

February 23 : Chiba Park Gymnasium

IWA World Tag Championship / Hoshino, Yamamoto vs Hamaguchi, Inoue [K=7'42"] 4400

Fujinami vs Singh [W=7'44"] 5144

April 17 : Pennsylvania

Handicap Match / Giant vs Paul, Harl [W=5'03"] 5647

WWF Heavyweight Championship / Backlund vs Rods [W=7'39"] 6424

WWF Jr. Heavyweight Championship / Fujinami vs Rodliguez [W=15'57"] 8021

NWF Heavyweight Championship / Inoki vs Volkoff [W=14'41"] 9502

April 27 : Yokohama Culture Gymnasium

Fujinami vs Brisco [W=13'47"] 10849

It didn't air on orginal Sammy.

My comments from last year after watching it:

7. 04/27/79 Jack Brisco vs Tatsumi Fujinami

Seeing Jack in New Japan remains odd. This, along with a 05/04/79 Inoki & Sak vs Brisco & Stan sets up the 05/10/79 NWF Title title match between Inoki and Brisco. The title match has been available for years from Classics, but I believe the match with Fujinami and the tag are fresh in Dan's 1974-81 TV set of miscellaneous matches.

Not a long match, clocking in a little over 10 minutes. But boatloads of fun watching a Jack who still can go and is very engaged in working with a youngster. Fujinami is very solid here, but Jack is really great.

When you see this, you will wish that the 1981 Carny had been treated well in AJ Classics because it had:

03/27/81 Brisco vs Abby

04/xx/81 Brisco vs Jumbo

04/17/81 Brisco vs Baba

04/23/81 Brisco & Brooks vs Funks

04/26/81 Brisco vs Brody

04/27/81 Brisco & ??? vs Jumbo & Terry

The Brisco vs Jumbo from this period would be very nice to see.

Anyway, Brisco-Fujinami was very good.

If you don't have that set from Dan, I'd recommend it.

John

I remember reading an article Mitchell wrote where he bashed SMW for presenting the foggy old Gordy as if he were the brilliant young Gordy, so he has a track record of saying that sort of thing.

Ive a current Torch sub so Ill track it down. In the context of the podcast and in general hearing that really annoyed me.

Elsewhere:

Fit Finlays - Setanta Ireland, Friday, 3rd December, 7:30 p.m.

This is the incredible story of one Irish family whose life portrays the history of wrestling since the 1950’s. Possibly Ireland’s most famous sportsperson of the 21st century is WWE’s wrestling superstar “Finlayâ€. This is the amazing international story of his County Antrim family - The Fit Finlays

Does anyone believe Billy Robinson's version of his infamous brawl with Peter Maivia that "Peter did not have the ability as a street fighter to get close to my eyes", "the reason I got bitten was because I didn't want to hurt him", and "When I saw the blood I got angry and knocked him out... he was unconscious for 25 minutes"?

Am I the only one who was never impressed with MVP? He frequently seemed awfully sloppy, botching a nearly Kennedy-esque number of moves in various little ways. And he tended to blow up surprisingly fast, usually sucking wind hard by the five minute mark.

I liked the MVP/Benoit matches, but it's hard to have a bad match with Benoit, and Benoit was clearly the better of the two of them.

MVP's peak was his promo the first week after he got drafted to RAW, when he was calling out Orton. I thought it would lead to an Orton/MVP program and move him up the ladder. Instead he dropped the US Title to Kofi and got thrown together with Mark Henry and went back to SD.

"And with all this, and locker room problems too, Cornette has decided now is the time to rip off SMW fans not only by bringing in an impaired Terry Gordy and trying to pass him off as the great wrestler of the past, but by also falsely advertising a hair match on his big Knoxville show."

-Bruce Mitchell, Onward Cornette's Soldiers, PWTorch #554 (08/06/94)

It's literally a throwaway line in one of Bruce's best and most famous columns. Of all the things that set Corney off in that piece, the Gordy line was low on the list. I think Jimbo has just used that as an easier item to complain about.

John

They were giving MVP a half-hearted push after he went on The View and took Sherri Sheppard to a HS Prom. They pushed all of that huge on TV for a few weeks with video packages, but then he'd lose most of his matches and look like a geek. I remember they even had Sheppard there in the front row at an MSG show, making a big deal about her cheering him on, and he fucking lost!!! It's impossible to get over beyond a certain level when they undercut you with booking like that.

Allegedly he also had some backstage heat due to being a pot smoker and for fucking with one of the piss testers.

Guest kowking

"And with all this, and locker room problems too, Cornette has decided now is the time to rip off SMW fans not only by bringing in an impaired Terry Gordy and trying to pass him off as the great wrestler of the past, but by also falsely advertising a hair match on his big Knoxville show."

-Bruce Mitchell, Onward Cornette's Soldiers, PWTorch #554 (08/06/94)

It's literally a throwaway line in one of Bruce's best and most famous columns. Of all the things that set Corney off in that piece, the Gordy line was low on the list. I think Jimbo has just used that as an easier item to complain about.

John

What's the rest of what set him off?

This is the middle part:

Cornette has weakened SMW's credibility with this bait and switch con before, but this is his most dishonest attempt yet. Fans are paying to see a spectacular event. What they will see is yet another screwjob.

In other words, things aren't so hot for the Louisville Lip and his promotion. Time to call in the big guns, to take the kind of innovative chances that only a booking genius can conceive. Time to play, as Robert Shapiro puts it, "The Race Card."

Time to debut "The Gangstas."

At least it's something that can draw heat, since it is the most divisive issue our country faces. His core audience is probably more concerned about this than they are about, say, Ninjas.

It's been a couple of weeks now since these guys debuted on TV and except for some kneejerk references to O.J., MLK, and Louis Farrakhan and a couple of phone calls from the NAACP, New Jack has been just another guy with marbles in his mouth who calls the SMW fans "rednecks and hillbillies." Yawn. How original.

Cornette seems to be approaching this gimmick with kid gloves. It might be that he is sort of a candy ass when it comes to this stuff, but it may just be that he has nobody to ask for ideas.

Let me put it this way. The most memorable thing about my first SMW house show eighteen months ago in Johnson City was not the wrestling. It was the odd feeling I got about a half hour into the show, a feeling I couldn't put my finger on at first.

Then it hit me. Unlike every other ball game, concert bar, bowling alley, school, mall, or you name it I've been to for the past two decades, this place was missing something.

As one of my Smoky Mountain relatives might put it, "Won't no black folks there!"

Not one. Not a wrestler, a ref, a fan, a worker, or a security guard. Frankly, it was a bit creepy.

And gee whiz, come to find out that, with one exception, SMW had no black employees. With the exception of Mark Kyle, who is so, uh, "high yella'" that everyone else forgets from time to time, no one in the front office, talent pool, concessions, or ring crew is an African American.

Of course, I'm sure that fact is just a coincidence, you know, how things work out sometimes. But it leaves Cornette with nobody to consult about creating a modern black heel that will drive the white trash bigots and four flushing scum into a ticket buying craze. Cornette is so behind the times he is liable to have the Gangstas threaten to spit watermelon seeds on fans or steal their fried chicken, a la one of his mentors Bill Watts.

Let's face it. The last time the guy had an exchange with an African American more meaningful than "Gimmie a triple with cheese and a Biggie fry" Cornette and his he-man wrestlers were run out of town faster than Rush Limbaugh leaving an Al Sharpton Rally.

Luckily, this columnist is at Jim Cornette's service. And yeah, just like Jimmy Cornette, I'm a southern born and bred white guy who knows the difference between chopped and sliced 'que. Only difference is odds are I'll actually have some contact with people of different pigmentation this week. And I've heard the swill from white trash for years. So I know how to make this work.

So if Jim Cornette wants to play this particular card without going bust, I suggest taking Richard Pryor's advice and giving the following scenarios a try.

Hey, always glad to help one of my own.

Prior to that he points out that the ship is sinking and Jimbo was getting desperate. After that he goes off on a booking suggestion that takes Pryor's advice used in the opening:

"I learned one thing. If you're going to go off, go all the way off."

- Richard Pryor

"There's no such thing as too much heat."

- Jim Cornette

My recollection is that this line:

I figure SMW could get superfan Heather Norton, her mother, and front office employee Pam Lawson, to play the roles for a minimal price.

And what was around it drove Jimbo much crazier than the Gordy part.

It's a great piece. That's about a third of it, and as much as I'd care to c&p out of respect for Bruce and Wade.

John