Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40/60

Main thing that struck me is how most of those modern themes blend together and are mostly terrible generic metal (or worst, autotune r'n'B), save for a few (MVP, Beth Phoenix). Worst theme I was embarrassed to even recognize was Mr. Ass... WTF were they thinking ?

Lots of late 90's-early 00's were quite generic as well, but not as offensive.

Just a real quick straw poll here. I've been listening to the Luger shoot (RF) and he just comes across as a really nice, humble down-to-earth guy. Nothing like his rep suggests at all.

How much of that is him trying to paint himself in a good light and how much is it just true?

I can't help but feel that Luger is treated unfairly because he was always an industry outsider.

Well, Luger had a lot of success early, so he probably was a prima donna that let a lot of that stuff get to his head. But in the last few years, he's went through a lot, like the death of Liz and him being confined to a wheelchair. I think he might have also found Christ; Nikita, DiBiase & Sting style. So perhaps he's just been humbled. Hard to say for sure.

Luger was jockeying to get back into WWE at that point. During this time period, I remember it going in the WON that he was spreading rumors throughout the indies that WWE was pursuing him in an attempt to drive up his asking price. Lex was financially fucked and his life had taken such a downward spiral that he couldn't afford to burn bridges.

His story is a really sad one if you think about it. Nash has talked about Luger before, saying the late 90s party atmosphere in WCW is what wrecked his life. Before that, he was a really bright guy with tons of interests outside of wrestling. He made big money and appeared to be financially set.

Dave always said he figured Luger would be one of the guys with zero issues adapting to life after wrestling, because he didn't even enjoy it, so he'd have no difficulty leaving. But by the end of the 90s, he was divorced and his children refused to speak to him, and his fortune faded fast.

He did get a lot of heat in wrestling for a variety of reasons -- getting a big money contract and push from Crockett without any sort of track record, openly complaining about wrestlers not having benefits or health insurance, not really being a lifelong fan, referring to himself in third person when discussing booking ideas and not being the easiest guy to befriend or work with. Some of it is bullshit, some of it is valid.

The thing that confuses me is that he comes across as not being the brightest guy in the world too, if you know what I mean.

And this constant insistence that he always just did what he was told, never questioned booking decisions, etc.

I can't square this guy with the portrait of the prima donna, smart businessman who didn't give a shit we're always told about.

Yeah, Luger gets a bad rep because he wasn't the best worker (although much better than given credit for at one point), and most of all he wasn't a wrestling fan to begin with. He treated this strictly as a business. Add to that the fact that he was pushed to the moon very early on because of his body, and you get an unmissable mix for "bad rep". His fate is pretty tragic when you think about it.

I can not say that he is my favorite wrestler, that would be premature due to not seeing enough of his stuff, but Stan Hansen is one of my new favorites. I would not say that I just discovered him, I have known about him for awhile and seen some of his stuff, but lately watching his AJPW stuff (which I sought out because of the talking about his new book) and just wow, he is really good.

Although I am not too terrible fond of stiff working, Hansen just has so much intensity and emotion, I could not help but admire his work. I really need to watch more of his stuff. A lot more, if I can get my hands on it. I plan on ordering his book now too.

Maybe we need a thread for newly admired wrestlers or something of that ilk? I do not think I could list my favorites ever, that is too hard (although Muta is up there) but wrestlers we are currently on a kick with? That could be interesting. Do we already have something like that here? I know we have the "Guys you should like but don't" thread, but that is not the same thing.

Just watched the Chris Candido Shoot Interview, and it's one of the funniest and most candid (no pun intended) ones I've seen. It's also pretty heartbreaking that this guy had to die at 33 (and to think I am two years older than the age he died at). Really comes off as a super nice and honest guy. He also paints a pretty cool picture of Sabu as a really nice and generous guy.

Nick Diaz having "transporation problems" is one of the funnier MMA things in a while.

John

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Nick Diaz obviously can't handle the pressure of a main event of this magnitude," White offered. "That's what I think. I mean, we all sit here, everybody, you pass the mic around the round (and) we'll come up with ideas on why he's not here. It's absolutely insane."

Dana beside himself...

Outstanding.

John

Watching Impact on the dvr, holy shit Angelina Love is scary right now. Like, "jesus christ why doesn't someone do something" scary.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, earlier on the same show Karen Jarrett told Velvet Sky she was fat and needed to lay off the cupcakes.

Guess when your head writer is 50 years old and still working through getting rejected by the pretty girls in high school there's no hope.