Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to make me listen to one of those shows? I've got about 18 hours of sports and 4 hours of PWG to watch on Saturday... I don't have time for that. :)

John

Todd did the Allen Iverson "practice" speech to open the show and Bryan Alvarez was completely baffled, I found it hilarious.

Bryan must live in a cave. :)

John

It is less impressive in hindsight since Penn vs Diaz was announced. But Todd thought Dana cancelling the fight over a missed press conference was a profoundly dumb decision given the revenue GSP vs Diaz was set to generate.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, earlier on the same show Karen Jarrett told Velvet Sky she was fat and needed to lay off the cupcakes.

Isn't Karen a heel, though?

Yes, but it was jarring for her to tell a (relatively) healthy looking woman to lose some weight, and then have your main women's program feature someone who looks like they are literally starving to death before our eyes.

Been listening to a few old old shoots like the Vader one from 98 and the Regal one from 99 as well as the Luger one.

One thing that has REALLY REALLY bugged me is the interviewers not asking the right questions, or just showing themselves up for a complete lack of knowledge. They just seem like your typical IWC smarks of the time, anything Bret or Shawn or ECW and they are all over it, but such a lack of detail in the questioning elsewhere. Irritating.

Shoot interviews would be so much better if they asked follow up questions. Instead of having a list of questions to cover (which is the normal routine), I wish they just had a list of topics and were conducted by people who just wanted to have a conversation. That's what makes the Torch Talks so good -- Wade Keller is a great interviewer. Most shoots are more Q & A than actual engaged interview.

Most shoots are more Q & A than actual engaged interview.

Yep. That's why the best ones really are when a guy tells tons of stories. I'm currently listening to Tracey Smother's (from 2003 I think), and it's really fun. But it's 90% a monologue.

The guy from KC seems like he would be a better interviewer than anyone from RF, Highspots, but the formats he work with doens't allow real in depth interviews.

I'd take the list of questions over some guys who either just go scattershot or don't do enough research and just ask about the Von Erichs or whatever. I swear I heard a Condrey interview where they led with how crazy the Von Erichs were.

also, I think at this point I'd rather hear the structured thing than just letting the guys go wild. The difference between the first Marty interview where they went with the list of questions but Marty still told his stories and the second one which didn't cover the back half of his career (as the first ended in 92-93 or so) at all in any structured way, but instead was just a bunch of ring rat stories....

The problem I've got is mainly with the total lack of homework on display.

On the Regal one, he was talking about working in England and Europe in 1987 and the guy was like "so how did your move to WCW come about?". I was like "bloody hell, obviously that's about 6 years away" and I don't even know that much about Regal.

Then when you get to WCW he's skipping forward to the Blue Bloods after about 2 minutes. The massive TV title run gets completely no-sold, and it's CLEAR Regal was ready to talk about it. Just a totally inept interviewer. I think that's one of the worst I've heard. Regal sounds pretty low on it, but he was ready to talk and a good interviewer would have been able to get much better material out of him. I don't think he's ever done another one, so that's a real wasted opportunity.

You get the impression that ALL some of these guys wanted back then was wrestlers to bad mouth others, dish the dirt on others and so on.

In the Vader one, for example, I don't recall them asking about Ron Simmons -- not once. No questions about the differences between Jim Herd, Kipp Frey and Bill Watts. They talked about the matches with Sting but never asked him which one he thought was best. PLENTY of stuff about working with Foley, naturally, but then entire feuds (e.g. with Bossman) completely ignored.

I wouldn't mind the Q&A format so much if they actually spent five minutes and did their homework before hand. And homework consists of more than just looking them up on Wikipedia!

I also listened to the Jimmy Hart one from 2001 a few days ago. Again Highspots. That one was a teensy bit better because they did give a good hour to Memphis, but they really lost structure when they started discussing WWF and WCW. It was like they wanted to skip from managing the Honky Tonk Man to his run with Hulk.

My favorite shoots are more the ones where they talk about wrestling philosophy than the ones where they share stories.

I love Cornette's Secrets of the Ring for that reason. What are some other good ones to pick up where the wrestler focuses more on booking styles and in-ring work than how many rats he banged or how much he hated a certain promoter?

I love Cornette's Secrets of the Ring for that reason. What are some other good ones to pick up where the wrestler focuses more on booking styles and in-ring work than how many rats he banged or how much he hated a certain promoter?

I for one loved Gary Hart's, although I pretty much knew nothing about the territories he talked about (never saw much of World Class). Really very interesting, and Hart is a pleasure to listen too. Ditto Jerry Jarrett's.

In the same serious vein, Austin Idol's was pretty interesting too. I thought Rick Martel's was very interesting as well, this guy truly went in a lot of different places, and the guy comes off as quite humble. Mike Awesome was very good too if you're an FMW fan.

In the "surprisingly good", Ranger Ross is very interesting, and he's another guy who comes off looking like an humble and nice guy.

As far as "dirt stuff goes", you don't get much better than Jannetty's, Raven/Sandman duo and Brickhouse Brown.

Raven's single shoots really balances between the very interesting booking/working stuff and the fun dirt.

Dustin's shoots are pretty much terrible and downright hard to watch when he cracks up and cry about not being able to see his daughter. Seriously, this is stuff we don't need to see...

I've always been a fan of the Guest Booker series. Although some are much better than others.

Other ones I've enjoyed have been: Cornette and Heenan, especially volume 3 when they are up in the attic going through old posters and things.

There's a great one with Jake Roberts talking about psychology. Ummm. I seem to remember one with Bret Hart along those lines too, I think it was a series.

My favorite shoots are more the ones where they talk about wrestling philosophy than the ones where they share stories.

My favorites are the ones with a mixture of both. Some of the stories are hilarious IMO but they can get annoying when you hear the upteenth ring rat/ x wrestler shit on___, pissed on_____, caught caught with underage____ story. But then a lot of the hand wringing in "In my day we did this" can get annoying as well. As for most disappointing it has to be Heenan's 2001 shoot. He was so bitter and could have sold some great stories while giving his philosophy on the business. I can't balme him though as he was just out the business and had a grudge