Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

Tully Blanchard's shoots were great. He went very in depth with his views on wrestling. Explaining why he never let a valet/manager interfere directly in his matches. He would only allow them to either distract the ref or hand him a weapon. So he would get the heat from the fans. How he believed in getting a minimum of offense. Just enough to generate heat for the baby face. Tully could make the phone book sound compelling.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite shoots are more the ones where they talk about wrestling philosophy than the ones where they share stories.

I love Cornette's Secrets of the Ring for that reason. What are some other good ones to pick up where the wrestler focuses more on booking styles and in-ring work than how many rats he banged or how much he hated a certain promoter?

Raven's 4 part Secrets of the Ring series was really good. A fair bit is stuff he re-hashes from other shoots but it's not too much and if you haven't heard them then of course it's not an issue.

Al Snow's was OK. Nothing blow away but there's some interesting stuff in thear.

I'd also recomend the Konnan/Cornette combo Straight Shootin dvd and Cornette's recent History of the WWF 1997 which was one of the best shoots i've seen in a long time.

I think that's why my favorite shoots are the ones where they stick two wrestlers that know each other in a room and just let them go off.

On that note, Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast is easily the best show going today. Since he's actually friends with everyone he interviews he goes a lot more in depth then your usual "wikipedia look up" type shows which makes for a lot of really great stories getting told.

I reccomend all Cornette shoots. Everyone one of them is awesome for different reasons. Any of him with Heenan are gold. It's too bad Heenan can't talk anymore as I'm sure he has more great stories that he hasn't told. I also enjoy HTM's, but I think I've probably heard enough from him. I thought Robert Fuller's was awesome and I also really liked the Humperdink/Gary Hart shoot.

So, am I alone in thinking Samoa Joe/Low Ki vs Kenta Kobashi/Homicide was way better then Joe vs Kobashi the night before? Well, maybe not way better but I def enjoyed the tag more. Not to belittle the singles since it is quite awesome and largely deserving of the praise it's gotten but Joe/Kobashi was good largely thanks to the second half being full of high spots, stiffness and head dropyness + the big dream match atmosphere, I actually thought the first part of it draged a bit and that it took a while to get going.

The tag has everything that was great about the singles, the hot ending, the big match aura PLUS it has a better build from start to finish, a less annoying but still hot crowd and lots of cool little touches and moments inbetween all the big moves.

10/2 period is a really great show from top to bottom actually w 4 other really good-great matches in Strong/Noble, Cabana/Evans, Daniels/Yang and the awesome hidden gem of the Lethal/Claudio/Nigel/Andrews 4 way + the Jim Cornette/Paul Bearer promo to debut Cornette as commisioner and the start of Lacey as Jimmy Jacobs & Whitmer's manager.

You take away Kobashi/Joe from the 10/1 show and there really isn't anything underneath of note except the Daniels/Sydal/Azrieal 3 way and them finally pulling the trigger on Jade Chung breaking away from Prince Nana.

I really don't recall much from 10/2. Of course I haven't seen it since it first became available. All I really remember is being annoyed that Joe was teaming up with Ki, after he'd been feuding with 'Cide and Rottweilers all year. It seemed more obvious to put Joe with Lethal and put Kobashi with 'Cide or Ki.

Gabe's response was that Joe and Ki were "honoring" Kobashi by teaming up. Yes, because Kobashi's dream partner was one of Joe's most hated rivals. . . . .

On the show itself it was sold as "we know this makes no sense but there's like a 99% chance Kobashi's legit never coming back so fuck it we're gonna run the coolest match we can think of because we'll never get this chance again" which yes, is stupid on paper and I thought pretty much the same thing you did going in and had a similar idea that instead they should have maybe done Joe/Lethal/X vs Kobashi/Cide/Ki or something but when it came time for the actual match they did a great job of pulling off the story and making the whole reluctant partner deal work.

I get why Gabe wanted Cide and Ki in that match but it really should have been Kobashi and Cide or Ki vs Joe and Lethal.

As for Joe vs Kobashi I don't remember any douchey fan behavior. The pockets of "this is awesome" chants would shut down as everyone else reacted to the match. As the match itself goes it's been a while since I've watched it but it was an amazing experience live. I don't think anyone quite expected Kobashi to work the match like it was a Budokan main event and that fed the crowd reaction.

As for Joe vs Kobashi I don't remember any douchey fan behavior.

"We love head drops clap clap clap clap clap" chant for a start

It's one thing to enjoy them as an exciting part of a match but chanting about it takes things to an entirely diffrent level of "ugh whear's the mute button"

As for Joe vs Kobashi I don't remember any douchey fan behavior.

"We love head drops clap clap clap clap clap" chant for a start

It's one thing to enjoy them as an exciting part of a match but chanting about it takes things to an entirely diffrent level of "ugh whear's the mute button"

Really? I don't remember that at all.

Wasn't there an "I can't see shit" chant? Might have been a different match or show. "This is awesome" had just gotten popular in TNA, and Gabe made a post more or less telling people to chant "ROH" and not chants used in other feds. I remember thinking that was beyond douchey, trying to tell the fans what they should and shouldn't be chanting.

I get why Gabe wanted Cide and Ki in that match but it really should have been Kobashi and Cide or Ki vs Joe and Lethal.

Totally. Kobashi/Ki (Team NOAH) vs. Joe/Lethal (Team ROH) makes the most sense to me. Homcide was feuding with Colt Cabana at the time anyway, so they coulda found something to do with Homicide there, or just stick him in Lethal's place in the useless four corner survival that has to be on every ROH show.

It wasn't a majority of the crowd or anything so entirely possible you might not have heard it if you weren't sitting near them but it was def noticable on the DVD, they chanted it during atleast 1 or 2 undercard matches as well.

Wasn't a fan of them chanting "AR RI GA TO" either or them anouncing him as "Kobashi Kenta". Little too over the top "look at us trying to be hip and act all Japanese when we're not" for me, though i'll fully admit the latter of those 2 things is more just me being nit picky.

Wasn't there an "I can't see shit" chant? Might have been a different match or show.

I think I remember that one in the match too but not sure. That's an old one though, I first heard it in mid 90's ECW and I wouldn't be surprised if it predates that. No prob with that one myself since i'd be pissed too if people in the first few rows were standing up and blocking the view or whatever

Homcide was feuding with Colt Cabana at the time anyway, so they coulda found something to do with Homicide there

Well, the feud had just started and they wrestled 3 shows earlier so Gabe was trying to hold off on having them wrestle again so soon after. Kobashi/Homicide made a really cool team anyways, got a big kick out of them double teaming Ki behind the refs back and shit.

Also, for as much as it would have made more sense and for as good as Lethal was at the time, he still just wasn't on that lvl and it would have been a step down match quality wise to have him in thear I think.

Wasn't a fan of them chanting "AR RI GA TO" either or them anouncing him as "Kobashi Kenta". Little too over the top "look at us trying to be hip and act all Japanese when we're not" for me, though i'll fully admit the latter of those 2 things is more just me being nit picky.

I felt the same way about the ring announcer weeabooing it up. It seemed less a gesture of respect than him cosplaying announcing a GHC match at the Budokan. I also thought the "please don't tap" chants when Joe had the STF locked in were a bit much. Because it was totally the chanting of 800 neckbeards that willed Kobashi to make the ropes. Good job, fans!

With that said, I liked the match. I prefer it to just about anything Kobashi did in NOAH. It was good enough that the dipshit ROH fans didn't ruin it, which is quite a feat. And I don't remember there being too many head drops other than the half-nelson suplex.

I felt the same way about the ring announcer weeabooing it up. It seemed less a gesture of respect than him cosplaying announcing a GHC match at the Budokan.

Like I said before, the entire match felt like total cosplay to me.

Lethal would have been such a better fit teaming with Joe and trying to hang with Kobashi, especially if it was Kobashi and Ki since Ki/Lethal is a great pairing. Homicide was totally the wrong choice for a Kobashi tag no matter what side he was on.

Wasn't the hugest fan myself. Ki/Lethal had a lot of metings in ROH that year between singles and tags and it was a really hit & miss feud. The hits were awesome, yes, but those were usually the more brawling/hate filled matches which this wasn't going to be with Kobashi in thear. When they just straight up wrestled it was still good but didn't usually reach the full potential I was hoping for.

If I had to drop 1 of the 2 i'd have taken out Low Ki over Homicide but really, almost anyone on the ROH roster at the time would have been a step down as far as match qualiy in this specific situation (gotta stress that part) except for like Jamie Noble who was leaving the promotion that night and Danielson who was off on a foreign tour.

I also thought the "please don't tap" chants when Joe had the STF locked in were a bit much. Because it was totally the chanting of 800 neckbeards that willed Kobashi to make the ropes. Good job, fans!

That ones not so bad I don't think. Really no diff then any other variation of wrestler A puts wrestler B in a hold and the fans cheer him on to escape which has been happening for like the entire history of pro wrestling.

On my trek through Mid-South (any of you watching it weekly on justin.tv too?), we're up to the 1985 TV Title Tournament. Jake Roberts was almost magical at this point. He'd only introduced the DDT relatively recently (a year before at this point, he was still using the knee-lift as a finish), and he's really in the first few weeks of his association with Nord. They just had the tag with the RnR.

Anyway, in the Tournament, he was up against Scott Casey, and the crowd was pretty torn. He's a heel, but a chunk of the female fans and (from what it sounds like) the kids are shouting the Go Jake Go chants. To be fair, Casey wasn't really established in Mid-South at this point, but still.

The entire last chunk of the match was based around Jake slapping on a front facelock on the mat, and there's this electricity as the fans are just waiting for him to stand up with it and hit the DDT (that's not what happens but the anticipation for it just sizzled). He'd have some of the same buzz a few years later as he was turning face in WWF, but by then the move wasn't quite so new and the crowds up north were a little different anyway. It's just one of those really cool things that come around really rarely.

That ones not so bad I don't think. Really no diff then any other variation of wrestler A puts wrestler B in a hold and the fans cheer him on to escape which has been happening for like the entire history of pro wrestling.

To an extent, yes. But like so many other indy chants, I felt like it went past sincere enjoyment of the action and entered the realm of "Hey everyone, look at us enjoying the match!" narcissism. Now that I think about it, though, it'd be awesome if kids at WWE events started "please don't tap" chants whenever someone put Cena in a submission, if only for the indy nerd rage it would invariably provoke.