Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto. ...tritto? Anyway, yeah, where is that clip from?

I grabbed it from the "New Board Image" thread on Crush Kill Crush. No idea of it's origin.

I try to check into that thread every few weeks because some of those guys are really adept and grabbing interesting and odd images.

This is such a weird blurb. From the 37/95 Wrestling Observer:

Reason Dick Murdoch did those house show as Bob Backlund's second with no television build-up is that Razor Ramon complained that it was impossible to do a match with Backlund and needed help and Murdoch was provided as that help. Murdoch has been at the recent tapings but hasn't been used.

This is kind of interesting. Known Backlund-Hall matches in 1995 from Graham's site:

WWF @ Baltimore, MD - Arena - January 26, 1995 (2,500)

Razor Ramon defeated Bob Backlund

WWF @ Philadelphia, PA - Spectrum - February 12, 1995 (5,500)

Razor Ramon defeated Bob Backlund via disqualification

WWF @ Bethleham, PA - Stabler Arena - February 13, 1995

Razor Ramon defeated Bob Backlund

WWF @ Robinsville, MS - February 17, 1995

Razor Ramon defeated Bob Backlund via disqualification

Kind of interesting because the first one happened right after the taping of these two matches the night before:

WWF @ Ft. Myers, FL - Lee Civic Center - January 25, 1995

Action Zone - 2/19/95: Bob Backlund (w/ Owen Hart) defeated Davey Boy Smith (w/ Bret Hart) via disqualification at around the 12:30 mark when Bret attacked Backlund as Smith was caught in the Crossface Chicken Wing, moments after Owen assaulted Bret outside the ring; after the match, Bret attempted to get at Backlund before Owen pulled Backlund from the ring and the two left ringside

Action Zone - 2/26/95: Bret Hart & Davey Boy Smith defeated Owen Hart & Bob Backlund at around the 18-minute mark when Smith pinned Owen with the running powerslam as Bret applied the Sharpshooter on Backlund outside the ring; after the bout, both Smith and officials had to convince Bret to release the hold

I seem to recall Loss liking the second one a hell of a lot.

It appears that some people could work with Bob, and others couldn't. Bob does work a certain way.

Classics thread on it, with a run in from Dave:

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbc...ic;f=9;t=057596

This part is a little off:

They did a match at a house show in SF or Oakland that I was at during that run, and it was all Hall & Murdoch having fun. Nobody in the building cared about Backlund, and Hall worked almost an entire match avoiding locking up or doing anything with Backlund. The match still was awful, by the way.

Someone else was at ringside:

WWF @ San Francisco, CA - Cow Palace - December 30, 1994 (3,000; 1,600 paid)

The Smoking Gunns defeated the Heavenly Bodies at 10:12 when Billy pinned Del Ray with a backslide

Wink & Pink the Clown defeated Queezy & Sleezy at 7:49

Bam Bam Bigelow pinned Adam Bomb at 7:50 with his feet on the ropes for leverage

Lex Luger fought Tatanka to a double count-out at 8:54; after the bout, Luger put Tatanka in the Torture Rack

Aldo Montoya pinned the Brooklyn Brawler at 4:43 with a bulldog off the top

WWF IC Champion Razor Ramon (sub. for WWF World Champion Diesel, whose mother died) pinned Bob Backlund (w/ Shawn Michaels) at 6:27 with a sunset flip; Freddie Blassie was the guest ring announcer for the match

Davey Boy Smith pinned Jim Neidhart at 8:23 with a roll up

The Undertaker pinned IRS at 7:39 with the tombstone

Shawn was actually ringside at a fair number of the Diesel-Backlund rematches.

Well, WCW kickstarted the wrestling boom with the nWo era, then WWF catch up with Austin & Bret and exploded into the dreaded Attitude Era. I don't remember when they began to use the term. I do remember the atrociously obnoxious "Get it ?" campaign in early 1999, when the product had already been Russoed to death. I wonder if you can still call 2000/01 the Attitude era, as Russo was gone by then and I would guess the TV product got much better (the PPV product whicj I'm more familiar with surely was).

Nash's booking of WCW in 99 shows a lot of Russo influence too : nonsensical turns nearly every week, a completely structureless company in term of clear heels and face as a result and backtage vignettes with the godawful "invisible camera" (and worst : vignettes that supposedly played like a TV series, as the characters aren't aware of what happens in those vingettes when they don't take part in it, resulting in total confusion. The entire David Flair fiasco is basically done entirely with these kind of vignettes, as is the awful nWo B-team leader feud).

I'm guessing a ton of the guys listed on their roster don't really work for them. Dave Taylor? Finlay? Colt Cabana? I don't believe that.

I'm going to go on my own and wear a hoodie or something as not to stick out too much. Will never forget the time I went to a Wu-Tang Clan gig straight from work in a shirt and trousers -- whitest man in the room.

I am strongly considering going to this. If I get to speak to DiBiase I'm going to ask him if he considered himself a technical wrestler.

I think he's going to say "Yes."

That's when you kick out the print out of the note and hand it to him. I'm sure that's what he's always wanted.

It's been a while, but I seem to recall that was a girlfriend's daughter with the girlfriend driving another car. Or do I have a different drunken Flair story mixed up with this.

Anyway...

My recollection of Flair's rep is that he's not exactly one to worry about around a 14 year old like say Jerry Lawler. I seem to recall he very much didn't go for the underage stuff like a number of other wrestlers did/have.

Found a message board post from 5 or 6 years ago and it mentioned Loss telling a story about Ric Flair getting pulled over w/ a 14 year old girl who may have been drunk. Recall this Loss?

This was in 1996. Flair was driven home by a girl from a party, apparently not aware she was underage. They were pulled over, and she was underage and drunk herself.