Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

What's the story behind Ernest Miller's 3 World Karate Championship victories? I am able to find information on his other credentials, but nothing specifically relating to the Karate tournaments. He has been the ISKA Kick Boxing Champ, and Atomic Freestyle Karate Champ. Miller has also won the Rhode Island Invitational and Bluegrass Nationals. Doing a quick google search- I haven't found anything. I can find Angle's, Cromier's, etc. Olympic matches. I can find Bubba Jenkins, Lesnar, and Koscheck's NCAA matches. Hell I can even find Alberto Del Rio's MMA matches and Mir/Nelson BJJ match. Is Miller's 3 World Karate Champion stuff a gimmick?

Not sure about his credentials, but "Atomic Freestyle Karate Champ" is the coolest championship name ever. :)

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if the new Best Of Great American Bash DVD / Blu-Ray that comes next week has all complete matches?

Specifically the Flair / Nikita (85) and Andersons / RNR (86)

Never seen either in full as they are both clipped up on the 85 and 86 Bash tapes....kind of a holy grail for me with Flair / Nikita in full.

I agree with SS for early 2000s, but he seems to have some idea of building a match slowly to a fever pitch by the end as the decade wears on, where KENTA starts at a million miles per hour and only slows down during heat segments. I will say that anytime Marufuji resorts to kicks I have to ignore the fact that every one of them looks like crap because he got in the habit of slapping his leg to make it seem loud and big. And one thing I noticed in my NOAH watchings is RIkio seems to really have weak strikes as the match wears on and he gets tired. He'll half-ass those and any kind of rope-running or running into a rail or corner. Morishima at the very least has the cardio to keep moving with speed throughout the match even if his clubberins look pretty weak.

That's a really good point about Rikio as he becomes increasingly useless as a match goes on. Morishima is weird. He has a great lariat. His elbows are generally fine, but fuck those Vader forearms are awful. My biggest problem with Wild II vs Sterness was just how weak everything looked in context of how NOAH was worked and just how everyone was going through the motions.

Triple H is the cover feature in this months Muscle and Fitness magazine. Interesting read, he goes into detail about contacting Joe DeFranco after realising that he needed to start training smart (read: a history of injuries and the inability to do things the way he once did). He at one stage mentioned "having to train like Floyd Mayweather" just to get in wrestling shape for one or two matches a year.

Most interestingly though, DeFranco actually put together a specific training routine, solely for Triple H to be able to do the spot where he lifted Brock up and slammed him down whilst locked in the Kimrua.

Forgive my random thought but what's with Irish Airbornes gimmick in CZW? Just looking at the roster page and one wears a mask? I'm lost on anything CZW

They go by the Oi4K (Ohio is 4 Killers) now. Dave's mask is only for entrance attire, I think it goes with the skull logo they use for the oi4k. Other than that, they still wrestle the same.

The more old territories you watch the more fun it gets to watch old territories. Right now I'm watching some old Southwest footage from 79 or 80 and Juan Reynosa is refereeing a match including a guy wrestling as The Mongol with the typical Mongol hair and now I know where he got his inspiration to later become Taurus Bulba the Mongol with the same hair style in Memphis in 1986 and become one of the many illustrious Southern Heavyweight Champions.

Been watching a lot of mid to late 90s stuff in the past few months. Is there anyone as under rated as Psicosis in that period? Maybe Waltman? Scorpio? I think the latter two get more love

I know it's a little early but I was blown away by how good Matt Borne was in 1993. I knew the heel Doink character was really awesome but I had him pegged as the 3rd or 4th best worker in the entire company during the year. I wasn't expecting that.