Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wonder if Wahoo was either mildly annoyed or if he didn't care that most of the wrestlers referred to him as Wahoo McDaniels instead of Wahoo McDaniel.

Always bothered me too. And similarly, I was watching the last Clash of Champions and some referred to Mongo as Steve McMichaels. Must be something about successful ex-NFL guys! That said, I doubt either cared if it was spelled right on the paycheck.

If someone could have predicted the future in 1987 do you reckon Santana & Valentine would have stuck around in the WWF or would they ventured into the NWA?

I know Greg had a short run in WCW in 92 but after their exciting feud in 84/85 apart from the short tag reigns for both guys in 86 & 87 I dont recall either doing great afterwards. I expected WWF to do a more over feud for Santana/Martel after the split. I remember loving the Brother Love show when Santana decked Slick and the two went to a massive brawl but got the impression it didnt go over as well as it could have.

Been watching the 86 Slammys today and wondered how the audience would react if they did this stuff during the Attitude era with singing and stuff.

What was the general conscious for WWE canning Championship Wrestling in 1986?

I know they like to do stuff for the fall season which I dont recall previous years but would it have been that bad to move the show into other arenas but still call it Championship wrestling.

Dont get me wrong I love WWF Superstars of Wrestling show as it was one of my fav WWF programs but wondered how and why the name change came about.

What was the general conscious for WWE canning Championship Wrestling in 1986?

I know they like to do stuff for the fall season which I dont recall previous years but would it have been that bad to move the show into other arenas but still call it Championship wrestling.

Dont get me wrong I love WWF Superstars of Wrestling show as it was one of my fav WWF programs but wondered how and why the name change came about.

I think it was just an attempt at a general rebranding with the new look for the TV shows. During the same time their other syndicated show was transitioned from WWF All-Star Wrestling to WWF Wrestling Challenge.

I wouldnt be surprised also if it was part of their attempt to further distinguish themselves in TV affiliates' eyes as "just another wrestling show" as lots of other promotions were using phrases like "Championship Wrestling" (Crockett, AWA, World Class, etc) and "All-Star Wrestling" (AWA, other regional feds) at the time for their TV shows and live event branding.

Doing some research and I stumbled across this from June 1981.....

Hart had a fairly damning list of guys in his book.

That article just reads like an in poor taste carny heel drawing tactic to me

"I used to be ok with the blacks, but now I must speak my conscience. I'll wrestle the Japs and the Indians, but not the blacks"

and obviously the crowd is full of black fans. what a heel turn

How do the voters in the Observer HOF get picked to be a voter? What is the criteria to be made a voter? Can someone that doesnt know Dave show up with a TON of knowledge and become one?

Not saying I am (I am NOT!) but just curious how they get picked...

From what I understand you send Dave e-mails, have a podcast/article and get recommended by other voters are the key ingredients.

How do the voters in the Observer HOF get picked to be a voter? What is the criteria to be made a voter? Can someone that doesnt know Dave show up with a TON of knowledge and become one?

Not saying I am (I am NOT!) but just curious how they get picked...

From what I understand you send Dave e-mails, have a podcast/article and get recommended by other voters are the key ingredients.

Interesting….I thought maybe there was an approval process with certain people and interviews / applications...

So far I've managed to get autographs from Bob Orton, Nikolai Volkoff, Terry Funk, Ted Dibiase and the Iron Sheik via the mail. Funk even drew a little state of Texas on an index card for me.

Also got my Ivan Koloff 8x10 from the Kickstarter. Little bummed with that as the pen was dying it looks like.