Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure a super nerd like Kris Zellner would have known that but I had no idea.

Yes that was the name of the move.

In other news, Tommy Rich was at my job today posting a flyer for an upcoming show he is on with Thunderbolt Patterson & The Rock n Roll Express and of course I was in a totally different area of the building and didn't get to see him.

You are going to that show .

Been reading Gary Hart's book. Didn't know where to drop this bit where he breaks down why the Amarillo territory died but I thought it was interesting:

To give you an idea of what it would cost to effectively run a booking office in those
days, let me outline the cost for just the talent alone: You would need at least twelve wrestlers
and two referees to run a proper show - so that’s $75 a head guaranteed. Maybe the referees get
$50 and some of the wrestlers get $100 - but it averages out to $75 a head. So to run a show, it
would cost $900 per night just for the talent. If you run every night, it would be $6,300 per week.
In three months that comes out to $75,600. Again, that’s just the cost of the talent. And keep in
mind - I’m going minimum, not top shelf. Even more sobering is the fact that those costs don’t
include the ring truck, the ring, renting an office, telephone bills, television costs, or anything
like that. Take the television costs as another for-instance: You would spend $500 a week for the
facility that you taped your show in, and then you would have to bicycle that show to your
towns. If you had nine towns – you would need nine tapes. The tapes used back then cost $500
each, and it used to cost $20 to send a tape from town to town on a weekly basis. You would
have to mail that tape 52 times a year, to nine towns a week. And what do you do if that tape gets
lost? Needless to say, running a wrestling promotion in the 70’s was not cheap.

Flair vs. Race from '85ish: Role reversal of their JCP feud w/ Flair as heel and Harley as the super babyface. Awesome, heated match. Link goes to part 1, follow the recommendations on the side for the rest.

So how much Harley Race as a babyface exists? Is Central States pretty much the only place he worked face? It dawned on me watching this match that Race is way more entertaining to me as a face with a ton of spots and tough punches than he is as a bumping, stooging champion. I think kicking ass would have fit his gravely voice and persona better thus if he was a face he would have gotten to show that side of him. It is a fun exhibition of what could have been if Harley Race was a kick ass babyface. Cool watch. Also love the bounty angle come around to fuck with Harley on this go around. They need to bring back the bounty angle. Imagine if Daniel Bryan had a bounty placed on his head by the Authority this past Rumble...missed opportunities.

MetsFan4Ever (the alleged former WWE employee that posts scoops on reddit from time to time) is doing an AMA and this came out.

What is the best storyline you ever heard from a writer that never got used?

[–]MetsFan4Ever[S] 210 points

16 hours ago

The Vince McMahon funeral show. The day Benoit did his thing. Vince's brother was suppose to be there. He was there actually.

First time hearing about this, was this ever reported at the time? No idea Vince had a brother.

I can't wait for Ric Flair's podcast to come on.

The only thing I worry about is it having either a current WWE focus or it taking an interview format where Flair has to talk to different guests.

I'd MUCH prefer it if Flair had like a sidekick who would just ask him questions. I reckon Flair could record 100+ hours of audio and not run out of new stuff to talk about. He had the most amazing career of anyone in US history when you consider all of the greats he faced through all of the different eras.

This podcast has such amazing potential, but I feel like Flair needs to be channeled in the right way.

I can't wait for Ric Flair's podcast to come on.

The only thing I worry about is it having either a current WWE focus or it taking an interview format where Flair has to talk to different guests.

I'd MUCH prefer it if Flair had like a sidekick who would just ask him questions. I reckon Flair could record 100+ hours of audio and not run out of new stuff to talk about. He had the most amazing career of anyone in US history when you consider all of the greats he faced through all of the different eras.

This podcast has such amazing potential, but I feel like Flair needs to be channeled in the right way.

Shoe should've kidnapped him and taped hours of interview (at gunpoint, if necessary) until found by police.....

Flair is doing a podcast? Opening odds on this are as follows:

Complete disaster and unlistenable (+850)

Greatest podcast ever (-550)

Better than Jim Ross (+100)

Flair is too drunk to speak on at least 25 percent of the episodes (pick 'em)

Jerry is right. If Flair was simply a "guest" on his own podcast every week and had a knowledgeable co-host who would just ask him questions for an hour every week, it'd be very good. Flair spouting off on random topics and interviewing guests......oye.

I really sort of hate Flair on podcasts/shoots. Listening to them always hurt my perception of him as a wrestler. He'll be interviewing other people and I bet a good chunk of them won't be wrestling related at all.

He can be terrible (see Legends of Wrestling appearances) or he can be engaging. I liked him on Austin. I enjoyed the 13-hour High Spots one, which I need to sit through again now.

But then, I'm a true Flair mark. Like a proper one.

Mostly when I hear Flair talk, it's just him putting himself over & burying a lot of other people, especially if they're not his friends. He's the best ever, he's wrestled everyone hundreds of times, all for over an hour everyday. He never slept, drank all the booze, banged all the broads, sold all the tickets & guys like Bret Hart couldn't lace his boots where as Triple H is the next Jesus Christ. It's to the point where I just don't believe anything he says anymore.

ABout 2 decades ago they did a special on TV called Hulk Hogan a Real American Story now from memory when they did a musical tribute at the end I remember as Hogan comes through the curtain there is a disabled kid in a wheelchair which Hogan shakes his hand and wondered which show this was from as didnt recognise the clip.