Pro Wrestling Only

Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

Gabe on Facebook:

I'm going to write a rant here after something I heard today. I should bite my tongue, but this is really bothering me.

First of all, I'm not perfect. I'm not claiming my customer service skills leave every customer 100% satisfied. I'm not saying I don't get frustrated at times or even lash out at an individual fan when I feel I'm being attacked.

Today, I heard something that I have heard in the past when certain promotions have been in dire times. Business is down, fingers start getting pointed, things aren't working or clicking. During these times, and I heard it today, the management blames the fans.

This perspective is just so insanely mind boggling.

The minute you start painting broad strokes "blaming" the fans, saying they have the "wrong" opinion, it is time to look in the mirror. The second you say this about the "long time" fans, it is time to walk away.

This mentality is never right. If you are in a promotion or work anyplace that makes a general statement like this, it should be an alert that it is time to get out of your bubble, take a break or do something to change your paradigm.

When you make a broad statement blaming the fanbase, the problem isn't them, it's you. There is no you without them.

I heard from someone who only reports news once in a while but is really solid. He said that the Briscoes departure has to do with a delayed SBG Corporate reaction to Jay's homophobic tweets. He says he can't report it yet for whatever reason. The tweets came from the first week of May.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess what bothers me (well not bothered but miffed) is that the Cornette completely shit on (Super Smash Brothers, Kevin Steen, El Generico) as being guys that wrestling fans watching can't relate to because of their look. I don't think wrestling fans are at the point anymore of being that superficial. If you are hell of a worker they fans don't care if you are short, fat, wearing a mask, or have tassles on your feet.

Congrats to Cornette for one of only a small handful of people that doesn't like El Generico calling him "type of idiot they would sign these days". Yeah like Daniel Bryan, Kassius Ohno, and Luke Harper? :blink:

I'm as big a Cornette fanboy as they come, and even I'm thinking he should just swallow his pride and sign a WWE Legends contract. He could partake in things like the Legends roundtables and do interviews for DVDs that would feature things he could remember fondly, and not be completely tied down to them. Which will leave him open for projects like the new book, and KC projects (provided the fences get mended).

So how long before Sinclair realizes that WWE might actually give them a decent payday for the ROH library to have the rights to old Punk and Danielson matches for future DVD releases, and shuts down the company and sells the tape library?

Also, serious question: which tape library is worth more to Vince, TNA's or WWE's? None of their current stars have TNA runs of note, and while the production values of TNA blow ROH's out of the water so badly it's not even funny, most of those are matches that would not be of any consequence to a WWE DVD release. I mean, does anybody really want to watch well past their prime matches from Sting, Flair, Hogan, Foley, Nash, Booker, etc? The only value the TNA library would have to Vince is if he ever mended fences with Angle.

Who wasnt expecting the first few weeks of new TV to be an intro to the product? Any rational fan knew this and was fine with it. A lot of the points Cornette made in this interview made me think "well, yeah. Duh. Who the fuck said otherwise?"

I'm glad Jim is taking a vacation from the sport. We all need to take time to relax and recoup after burnout. Nobody wants to see this man die at an early age. I might disagree with him on a certain talent here and there (I have never really had a problem with El Generico other than the ridiculous name but thats just my own tastes). Plus, there were booking decisions here and there that made me think that they were a step or two behind what the ROH fan would want (biggest example was the old Ether on a Rag trick Haas & Benjamin used over the Briscoes. You could hear the entire audience grown at that one). But, I am a Cornette fan, always will be. I just disagree with him on some of this stuff.

Really, I think the problem is that SBG isnt, nor were ever, going to do for ROH what we all hoped they would. SBG, while thankfully footing the bill, seems rather apathetic towards this group. Now, if they let Jay Briscoe go while he's still World Champion then that shows not just apathy but outright stupidity. As an aside, on a personal level, I have no sympathy for Jay Briscoe. I thought his remarks were just beyond the pale. I would have taken the belt from him the first chance you got and fired them both. That's just me. You might think different.

To repeat a thought from a previous post of mine, you knew, down deep in your gut, that SBG was not going to be the solution. It kept the company alive, yes, but it wasnt going to be anywhere near would it could be. I once again, point to an Inside the Beherens Bubble (which I miss) that had Bill speculate on all the ways SBG had the ability to make ROH grow. I dont think any of those ever took place. If you have spent any time in broadcasting, you knew it wouldnt.

So Gabe never argued with any fans about the direction of his company, or people who complained about ROH and were checking out?

He banned me from the ROH message board for posting that bringing in Misawa was a horrible idea, because of how much he'd broken down and degenerated as a worker. And I also pointed out that $100 ticket prices were proof that Misawa was coming over more for the payday than he was any great desire to wrestle for ROH.

Also, in 2004 when he announced the Joe vs. Jay Briscoe cage match, a lot of fans where pissed of about it and said as much on the ROH board, and he commented something along the lines of "Don't judge it until you've seen it.

So Gabe never argued with any fans about the direction of his company, or people who complained about ROH and were checking out?

He banned me from the ROH message board for posting that bringing in Misawa was a horrible idea, because of how much he'd broken down and degenerated as a worker. And I also pointed out that $100 ticket prices were proof that Misawa was coming over more for the payday than he was any great desire to wrestle for ROH.

Also, in 2004 when he announced the Joe vs. Jay Briscoe cage match, a lot of fans where pissed of about it and said as much on the ROH board, and he commented something along the lines of "Don't judge it until you've seen it.

Yeah... I had a memory of someone (or several someones) here having gotten the Gabe Treatment for not properly loving ROH. :)

Guest Staples

Internet PM Theater, starring Benbeeach (a cool guy who may o may not post here, I forget) and multi-time WON Booker of the Year winner Gabe Sapolsky:

Posted Image

Basically, it was because Jay and Mark were over as a tag team, but nobody really gave a shit about Jay as a singles wrestler. Joe tagging with various wrestlers to challenge for the tag titles worked fine, but when it came down to Joe vs. Jay one-on-one, nobody really wanted to see it.

Basically, it was because Jay and Mark were over as a tag team, but nobody really gave a shit about Jay as a singles wrestler. Joe tagging with various wrestlers to challenge for the tag titles worked fine, but when it came down to Joe vs. Jay one-on-one, nobody really wanted to see it.

Really? I wanted to see it, bc I knew Joe was going to murder Jay Briscoe

Yeah, that response is great. That kind of thing apparently is not confined to pro wrestling. Here's an exchange between a fan and former GM of the Browns Phil Savage (who I believe was fired over this):

Fan:

You are easily the worst GM in the NFL. Chud, Crennel and Tucker should NOT have jobs. How the hell do you play prevent defense the entire game? How do you NOT use Jerome Harrison more? Why the hell would you throw the ball with 6 minutes left? This is officially a regime that is worse than Butch Davis'. By the way, just like last week - this email was written while the Browns still had the lead.

"Macho Man" Phil Savage:

From: Savage, Phil Subject: Re: Browns To: xxxxxxx Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 12:17 AM Go root for Buffalo-fuck you-

Anyone else think it's weird how ROH is spinning this Briscoes deal as not about Sinclair punishing them for stupid tweets, but as part of their long term booking plan? That was the idea when Jay won the belt, to have a brother vs brother match with the shortest build possible then write them out indefinitely?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Staples

ROH Unauthorized Presents: A Night of Hoopla

Chicago, IL -- July 11th, 2013

-Truth Martini came out to start the night with Hoopla Hottie Scarlet. He is the guest announcer for the entire night, while Scarlet sang the "House of Truth national anthem". According to reports, the refs are not wearing pants...

(1) Matt Taven def. Adam Cole & Eddie "Eddie Edwards" Edwards. Said to be a funny match with Scarlet getting involved, and Eddie breaking character to chop Scarlet's ass. She also stripped at one point during the match.

-Jimmy Jacobs came out to perform some of his songs.

(2) Jay Lethal def. Delirious. Lethal came out in his "King Machismo" gimmick on a rolling pallet, and cut a promo about the Ultimate Warrior. They literally re-created the entire Savage/Warrior retirement match from start to finish. Afterwards, Lethal proposed to Maria, who was ringside for Delirious, and Mike Bennett came out to get her.

-Next was a "Pants Off, Dance Off" competition. Several Hoopla Hotties came out and danced on polls, and with the crowd. The judge was going to award the winner, but...DAVEY RICHARDS came out to interrupt the madness. He started to cut a promo about what Ring of Honor is supposed to be about, mentioning Samoa Joe, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. He then completely broke character, started dancing on the ropes, making out with the women, and was awarded the winner of the competition. Unreal....

(3) Davey Richards def. Silas Young. This became a "lumberjill" match, which really just featured a bunch of men dressed in drag. That got a "this is awkward" chant from the crowd. Davey won with the ankle lock.

(4) reDRagon def. Roderick Strong & Cheeseburger with a superkick, followed by a brainbuster.

-Truth Martini brought out "The Devil" who cut a promo about QT Marshal selling his soul to him. He got beaten up by the Hotties, and had his pants taken off. Because why the hell not...

(5) Michael Elgin, BJ Whitmer & MsChif def. ACH, Tadarius Thomas & Athena. There was a ridiculous amount of comedy spots, including Elgin doing the worm, and ACH being terrified of MsChif. Finish came when Elgin made out with MsChif, then sprayed green mist at Thomas for the win.

It sounds less wacky and more like a cry for help.

I don't mind shows like this. ROH has been SERIZOUS WRASSLIN~! for ages. Why not be TNA for a day and let lose. The people up in arms over this (and there will be) and who will talk about ROH's GLORIOUS history have forgotten (or choose to ignore) the fact that the first ROH broadcast featured two men in the ring kissing to open the show.

Yeah I don't think it was desperate at all. Rather shockingly progressive and non-po faced.

One of the videos hyping it was sublime too (Scarlet Bordeux's recruitment of Jimmy Jacobs specifcially) this is coming from someone who has abhorred Truth Martini prior: