Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

So according to Dave in this week's Observer, ROH put the tag team titles on the American Wolves even though they aren't under contract and are not committed to any shows past the next New York show this coming weekend. They never learn from their mistakes, do they? This is what happens when you give the book to a guy who speaks in tongues.

I think they're under a very short term contract which allows them to still negotiate with WWE and TNA while working a few more dates for ROH. That said, it's still stupid to put the titles on two guys in August who may not be around the month after.

allows them to still negotiate with WWE and TNA

Really can't see them going anywhear myself. Neither is really WWE material, TNA in another era might want them but they're in a firing mood not a hiring one and Davey's burned his bridge with most of the notable companies in Japan...

Still, if they're leaving I assume there's a pretty high chance they drop the belts to Fish & Kyle next Sat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, supposedly, a 30-man tryout at the WWE Dev Center occurred a few days ago and Edwards and Richards supposedly were the cream of that particular crop.

At the very least, ROH can do short term contracts for remaining dates with the belts, work yet another "We're going to the big leagues" angle, and it'll be fine.

That July show sounded interesting, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So...Maria and Mike Bennett decided to start a podcast. It's terribly bland and while they don't come off as bad people or anything, Bennett does seem a bit whiny about dem damn internet fans. Also an awkward moment where Bennett says he and CM Punk aren't in similar boats, but he can relate somewhat to what he went through. Maria starts laughing about them being in a similar "boat" to his mild confusion. Other than that, nothing of note. There's relationship advice, social commentary and wedding news among some wrestling talk.

http://www.fanoffmedia.com/mikeandmaria/MM...1-20140111F.mp3

Recommendation: Avoid.

• 2 weeks later...

This came up in the shoot thread, but it applies here too:

The latest offering from Kayfabe Commentaries, Breaking Kayfabe with Jim Cornette, is pretty much 99% of Jim talking about his time with ROH, and all the issues he had with the various people in Sinclair broadcasting that eventually led to his departure. The original report was that it was an amicable split, but I imagine that it's not much amicable anymore when they hear about what all he had to say.

I don't think Cornette has any intentions of ever going back to RoH so I don't think he gives a shit if they're upset that he told everyone what happened. It seems like if most of what he said is true that Sinclair is just going to keep running RoH into the ground anyway.

Memphis and Mid South seem to be it.

I once read that Jerry Jarrett found Jim Cornette to be a very annoying person. In fact Cornette annoyed Jarrett was much that he knew Jimmy could be a good wrestling manager. I think he was glad to ship him off to Watts . Memphis had Jimmy Hart was Cornette services were really not needed in the territory .

In regards to the ROH deal , I think Cornette is behaving like a spoiled child who lost his toy . Jimmy should have just taken the high road for once in his life. His latest shoot interview only served to hurt Delirious and the talent that work for the promotion. Sinclair Broadcasting has already forgotten that Jim is even alive.

I still do not that Cornette and alot of the ROH don't understand that Sinclair is a a public traded corporation . So they only care about increasing the value of their stock , not Jim Cornette's vision of wrestling.

Did you listen to the shoot? One of the main problems Jim had was that he was trying to appeal to a wider audience and corporate suits while the wrestlers and wrestling company staff acted like...wrestlers and wrestling company staff. Honestly, Cornette came off pretty well in it. He had no real problems with the talent save for one or two people and enjoyed booking. It was mostly the non-wrestling behind the scenes stuff that did him in. Broken and outdated recording equipment, booking shows in markets that wouldn't draw, lackluster support in regards to talent's health when Corino nearly broke his back, etc.

I once read that Jerry Jarrett found Jim Cornette to be a very annoying person. In fact Cornette annoyed Jarrett was much that he knew Jimmy could be a good wrestling manager. I think he was glad to ship him off to Watts . Memphis had Jimmy Hart was Cornette services were really not needed in the territory .

Cornette has told that same story (save for the annoying part, but I think he knows that he can be annoying). When Watts was checking out the talent, Jarrett had Cornette doing a bunch of stuff in the matches, which wasn't usual. He knew it was Jarrett's way of telling Watts to take him.

Did you listen to the shoot? One of the main problems Jim had was that he was trying to appeal to a wider audience and corporate suits while the wrestlers and wrestling company staff acted like...wrestlers and wrestling company staff. Honestly, Cornette came off pretty well in it. He had no real problems with the talent save for one or two people and enjoyed booking. It was mostly the non-wrestling behind the scenes stuff that did him in. Broken and outdated recording equipment, booking shows in markets that wouldn't draw, lackluster support in regards to talent's health when Corino nearly broke his back, etc.

Totally agreed. He put Delirious over and trashed Sinclair/Greg, Steen and Davey. He said Sinclair was cheap and wanted big bucks with little investment. He said Steen was overweight, constantly upset with how he was booked and was killing himself and shortening his career on meaningless shows. He said Davey has a big ego and isn't a locker room leader, but is a good wrestler.

Cornette's idea for ROH was great and honestly should be what wrestling companies aim for in the future. Get your own building with your own stuff. Do shows, train and produce/edit from it, keeping costs down. With how much he said they spent on trivial shit at random arenas, it seems like it would have paid for itself in no time.

The shoot just confirmed to me how bad ROH was run, which I had suspected from the messy TV shows. The shows were usually weeks behind with promo's for shows after they happened and they built to absolutely nothing. Plus there was the multiple iPPV disaster's which have killed that idea for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Plus there was the multiple iPPV disaster's which have killed that idea for a while.

I don't know if that's strictly the case. I buy NJPW events with confidence and I've always been happy with my purchases. I never ordered a ROH event due to the horror stories in part, but mainly because I don't care much for the ROH outside of a select few performers.

People who work for TV stations owned by Sinclair have similar stories of how cheap the company is run. Everyone thought ROH would have better production values once they were owned by a TV conglomerate, but this isn't Turner buying JCP here.

Plus I'd imagine a born again liberal like Cornette probably would lose his shit with the right wing propaganda Sinclair stations run every election cycle.