Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

RoH announced today that they're returning to cable/satellite PPV. They hyped this up as a huge announcement, but in the day and age of the Network I find this to be a step in the wrong direction. The Network works, it's creating a cheaper model for wrestling fans to get their fix. Requesting that the fans pay $25+ to one event isn't really a viable option moving forward I don't think. I'm not sure how RoH would do it, but at some point I think that they, and any number of indies who want to be bigger, are going to have to take on a streaming model close to that of the Network, because PPV just isn't the way to go anymore I don't think.

I have to give ROH credit. While every other wrestling company on Earth is moving away from outdated wrestling business models like syndicated television and Pay Per View, they're diving head-first into them. On the plus side, ROH will finally be dead by the end of the year and they can sell their tape library to a company who might actually do something interesting with it.

It failed miserably when the company was much hotter, I can't see it doing any better now.

I think it has more of a chance to be successful now. While they were much hotter in 2007, they were also only running house shows and then selling them on DVD. Now, they have actual television to try to advertise and sell PPV with.

It failed miserably when the company was much hotter, I can't see it doing any better now.

I think it has more of a chance to be successful now. While they were much hotter in 2007, they were also only running house shows and then selling them on DVD. Now, they have actual television to try to advertise and sell PPV with.

It also wasn't carried by DirecTV and a number of large cable providers. Were the ppvs even live? I can't remember.

That's what I thought. In that case, you can't possibly use the first try at PPV as a comparison. This is a live show being carried by more providers. I don't think it's going to be a big success or anything, but there were a lot of people ordering what were almost always awful quality iPPVs for not a lot less money. With these being HD and carried by so many providers, it would seem that Sinclair is putting at least a little bit of muscle behind the idea.

The fact that no one on this board gives a fuck about ROH is probably a bad sign for their viability. It means their product isn't even working for hardcores. I live in Baltimore and it hasn't once occurred to me to go to a taping in recent years. And I say that as someone who was a steady fan of the promotion as recently as 2008.

I disagree with this boards tastes being any indicator. Most of the board doesn't seem to have much interest in the big name indie companies, but interest still exists pretty much anywhere else you look online. The particular tastes of PWO don't tend to fall in line with the "average internet wrestling fan", whatever that might be these days.

I disagree with this boards tastes being any indicator. Most of the board doesn't seem to have much interest in the big name indie companies, but interest still exists pretty much anywhere else you look online. The particular tastes of PWO don't tend to fall in line with the "average internet wrestling fan", whatever that might be these days.

You don't think it's bad that a company trying to sell PPV to a national audience has few devotees on a hardcore wrestling board? I agree PWO is less indy-focused than other places, but I don't think it's a good sign.

No, we're representative of people who desperately want to see good wrestling. And if you're not exciting us, your chance of exciting a broader audience seems poor. I mean, the reviews of New Japan here are more mixed than in most places. But it at least generates some discussion.

I take your point about the tastes here; I just think that if ROH were a hot product, people on PWO would talk about it more. And with that, I'll drop it.