Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-06-WWF-Superstars] Rick Martel and Brutus Beefcake

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Brutus Beefcake is mercilessly cutting the hair of a jobber whose only crime is trying to make a living in the WWF when Rick Martel decides to play hero. He points out Beefcake's absurd sense of fashion, and responds by showing him what true fashion is. Beefcake, who doesn't seem to care at all that he's scarred his opponent's soul for life, decides to take it a step further by chasing Rick Martel off of the stage and taking his shears to his beautiful rainwear! Martel ends up losing his jacket while Beefcake mocks him. Only in the WWF could a guy who cuts people's hair without provocation and then destroys the property of anyone who dares call him on it be a babyface.

Nothing quite says glamour and fashion like a trenchcoat and fedora--I guess they didn't want to blow the budget on something that was going to get cut up. Rick also, sensibly, seems to be deliberately embellishing his francophone-ness.

This isn't quite as despicable of an act on Beefcake's part as destroying Ron Bass' beloved whip Betsy. Any object that carries a name is automatically more precious than something that doesn't.

Rick Martel is dressed up as Inspector Gadget for Halloween but it's January and that's really his model fashion sense. He mouths off to Beefcake who joins up at the stage where Rick has already taken off his trenchcoat. Didn't realize these guys feuded. Anyways Beefcake cuts up poor Rick's coat and stomps on his hat. Too bad Martel didn't have Go Go Gadget Arrogance to even the odds.

THis must have been a bridge feud as I didn't recall interaction with these guys at all. Brutus proves his he a prick by cutting hair, ripping up a jacket, and then doing perhaps the worst strut in wrestling history. Jesse on commentary fit this well and I see Parv loving him on commentary when he gets to this on the set.

Typical goofy WWF silliness, but I grew up on such silliness so it holds a special place in my heart. I don't remember watching this at the time, and I remember starting to watch WWF around January of 1990, so this must have been on the show before I started watching, or thereabouts.

My first comment here was "why is Rick Martel dressed as Inspector Gadget" but see someone has already said that.

Chad / soup23 is totally right, I have major man-love for Ventura on commentary and this segment is no exception. He's with his best partner here too, Vince, play off each other so well. "He should be arrested for that McMahon ... Personally, I think he should be doing that to one of your suits, see how you like it".

It's amazing just how over Beefcake was in 90.

Vince: Now you're talking class.

Jesse: Yeah, when it looks like your down the soup line with the homeless.

Ha ha ha. WWF did this sort of shit better than anyone.

THis must have been a bridge feud as I didn't recall interaction with these guys at all.

I remember watching this when it aired, but I don't recall it ever leading to anything, even a SNME match or MSG match, much less a proper feud. I could be wrong, 1990 was during one of my wrestling sabbaticals where I only caught a few things here and there.

Edit: It was a house show feud that went around the horn from Jan-March. No TV matches but maybe a Coliseum video match somewhere, I'm not sure

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This was fun. Rick Martel claimed that Brutus Beefcake was an insult to fashion and an insult to wrestling. I guess he has a point there. Beefcake came down and destroyed Martel’s raincoat. This featured typical great commentary by Jesse Ventura and Vince McMahon, putting over the angle like it was a big angle.

• 1 month later...

Beefcake continues to be one of the most obnoxious wrestlers ever. I think that was George South getting his hair just butchered. I hope the money helped George's kids get that orthadonture done or someting at least contstructive.

I HATE HATE motherfuckin HATE that Hogan-esqe "Bug your eyes out and puff your cheeks" face Beefcake does.

The other guys on here reference Inspector Gadget, but my first thought was Secret Squirrel. I watched more Cartoon Express with the old Hanna Barbara than I did any Inspector Gadget or any of those other glorified, quasi-legal informercials for toys.

Beefcake is just a real asshole in this whole thing, strutting like an idiot, attempting to chop Martel's fingers off with his oversized (compensate much?) shears, shredding a perfectly good coat and hat.

Did Martel get any comeback for this? If not, then thats a steamy creamy load.

I HATE Brutus

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Beefcake is cutting the hair of George South when Rick Martel comes out and makes his way up on to the interview podium. He's sporting a rather natty hat and raincoat combination, and tells 'the Barber' that he looks like a bum whilst this is what a man with class and style looks like! Beefcake exits the ring and makes his way over to wear the Model is running his mouth from. Martel has started to disrobe at this point, but seeing the shears that old Bruti is brandishing quickly jumps down off the interview podium. Unfortunately for him he's left his coat and hat on the podium, and Beefcake takes his shears to them, does a bit of tailoring and makes them more 'suitable' for him.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-01-06-WWF-Superstars] Rick Martel and Brutus Beefcake