Pro Wrestling Only

Your Wrestling Pet Peeves/Utter Hatreds

JaymeFuture

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I suggested writing on masculinity in the Tully vs. Magnum feud to the editors after they got in touch (still not sure who told them I was a wrestling guy).

What they actually wanted was a 10,000 feet removed view talking very generally about wrestling from a "performance studies perspective". That is, don't get into specifics about individual wrestlers or feuds, but look at the whole thing like a performance and write about it like Roland Barthes did. In other words, excuse yourself from actually learning anything about wrestling itself, just look at it like some curious alien thing at a safe academic distance.

It's very poor because in academic work about literature and drama, the specifics are essential. You'd never write about Shakespeare's Othello, or indeed any play, at such a level of remove. Thought it was pretty dispresectful to the topic.

• 1 month later...

When people come along and hold their nose up like "Eww you're wasting your time watching THAT shitty wrestling?" no matter what it is. Even if it IS really shitty wrestling. I'll watch just about anything wrestling related, at least a little bit of it. I don't feel the need to come along and take a dump every time a thread pops up about wrestling that I have no interest in watching.

Hell I even watched that Nick Gage vs. Sid Fabulous match that someone talked about in the Modern Indie Wrestling thread and I came out of that feeling like everyone involved in that match, including the fans were all pretty disgusting people. But that didn't mean I felt any need to try and blast the wrestling fan credentials of the guy who originally posted about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably my biggest pet peeve is the over importance that is give to The Kilq. To me these guys started out to rule the wrestling world and actually accomplished that but got so selfish with their decision making that they ended up damaging the two top U.S. promotions at the time. What really galls me is that they paint themselves as such revolutionary figures but take NONE of the blame when it comes to their faults. The revisionist history that is given to these egomaniacs is unbearable. Who EXACTLY is clamoring for this Kliq DVD/Blu-Ray?? Nash and HHH always come off as the worst to me out of the group. Scott Hall just seems like a lot of wasted potential. I really liked Waltman as The Lightning/123 Kid an even X-Pac but they always seem to put him in the background. Michaels was a prick for a LONG time but seemed to me to have a genuine change of heart and tried to make amends while also having good matches.

I get that these guys ARE important to some degree with U.S. wrestling history but to me it's no where NEAR the image they give off and it's really eye rolling for me at this point.

I've always hated the term "scientific wrestler." Do they spend their spare time in labs doing research? Why don't they wear lab coats to the ring?

An actual Scientific Wrestler with a lab coat and shit seems like a Chikara gimmick waiting to happen.

When people screw up the timing on a hot tag. I just watched the Mojo/Ryder vs Samson/Whoever tag from NXT from last month and Zack was playing FIP. Samson puts his head down, gets face crushed to the mat. Zack catches his balance and dives across the ring, and it was probably more realistic than selling more, and putting some drama into it and building up the moment, but if he had done that, it would have been a thousand times better. It doesn't need to be a simultaneous tag or anything. I'm not saying that. He just needed to milk the moment for a little more, hell, a lot more. He had to make it seem like a struggle, like it mattered. He had to take even just a few seconds and use his body language to build himself towards that corner. The entire point of a face-in-peril is to build to that moment. Pay it off right. It's not rocket science.

Overselling or not selling. I don't even have a narrow window. When I say overselling I am talking about hbk in the Bad Blood 2004 HIAC match. When I talk about not selling I mean completely forgetting to lay down for any period of time.

For me, it's ref bumps - like 99.5% of them. They were way overused back in the day but even then I could live with most of them. No, the ones I hate are the ones where the referee does some unnatural movement - very quickly - to get in the way. You know, the "sprint in behind the guys so I get crushed by the guy who just did a leapfrog even though I have no reason to be in the center of the ring right now" type deal.

Another, and I know it's standard American tag team heat-generation but I detest the "referee stops the face partner from being in the ring while allowing the heels to do whatever they want" bit.

And, as long as I'm killing referees here, any ref that alters the pace of his count at the finish.

For me, it's ref bumps - like 99.5% of them. They were way overused back in the day but even then I could live with most of them. No, the ones I hate are the ones where the referee does some unnatural movement - very quickly - to get in the way. You know, the "sprint in behind the guys so I get crushed by the guy who just did a leapfrog even though I have no reason to be in the center of the ring right now" type deal.

Another, and I know it's standard American tag team heat-generation but I detest the "referee stops the face partner from being in the ring while allowing the heels to do whatever they want" bit.

And, as long as I'm killing referees here, any ref that alters the pace of his count at the finish.

This is my favorite ref bump:

DeadlyFinishedBoar.gif

Man, that really is TNA distilled to its essence in GIF form.

Speaking of ref bumps, it's always been a pet peeve of mine that refs take the slightest nudge and are dead for 10-15 minutes. I know mere mortals can't take the abuse pro wrestlers can (in kayfabe terms at least) but I can't buy an errant boot puts a guy into dreamland.

Speaking of ref bumps, it's always been a pet peeve of mine that refs take the slightest nudge and are dead for 10-15 minutes. I know mere mortals can't take the abuse pro wrestlers can (in kayfabe terms at least) but I can't buy an errant boot puts a guy into dreamland.

Especially when it's Nick Patrick and the wrestlers are smaller than him. The other day I caught him hesitating to intervene on Morton post-belling Pillman. He was literally a head taller than both.

Especially when it's Nick Patrick and the wrestlers are smaller than him. The other day I caught him hesitating to intervene on Morton post-belling Pillman. He was literally a head taller than both.

Especially since Patrick is a former wrestler.

Especially since Patrick is a former wrestler.

To follow on from this discussion, I've seen matches where active wrestlers have been special guest referees and STILL get taken out by the same bumps that take out normal refs. You just think "All it'd take is to crush this guy in the corner during a match, and you could pin him easily"

You made my night, ah ah ah !

And you made mine. Didn't know France housed vampires.

Damnit ! :) And I for one always tell my students to never use litteral translations. (so, you really can't use "you made my night" like you would with "you made my day" in English ?)

(then again, I never enjoyed the sunrise)