Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Roddy Piper

Stiva

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda numb after Dusty, but I was an even bigger fan of Piper. The only positive spin is that I assume we'll get some Piper podcasts, but damn I wish he wasn't gone.

Anyone remember a couple of years ago when he basically cut a go-home promo for John Cena on Raw? The man still had it. Just like Dusty.

Just think, 30 years ago they were both on top of the world.

In one of those totally weird coincidences I was talking to someone at work today about They Live.

Shit news.

I was talking on Facebook about racism in WWE today, over the Hulk Hogan stuff. Someone posted the Wrestlemania picture of Roddy Piper painted half black from his match with Bad News Brown. I went from laughing at that to three minutes later seeing he had died. It was pretty surreal.

In one of those totally weird coincidences I was talking to someone at work today about They Live.

Shit news.

I was talking on Facebook about racism in WWE today, over the Hulk Hogan stuff. Someone posted the Wrestlemania picture of Roddy Piper painted half black from his match with Bad News Brown. I went from laughing at that to three minutes later seeing he had died. It was pretty surreal.

That promo was the last thing I watched on the 90's Yearbook so yeah, surreal timing here too.

He was still relevant in the pro-wrestling world. It wasn't like he had faded away into obscurity. He was doing talk shows and podcasts, he just had that stuff with Austin & Podcast One that was news. People have been talking about him very recently, so I reckon several people have had that experience.

There's an old double-edged proverb sometimes found in fortune cookies that I've been thinking about the last few months: "May you live in interesting times." Strange year, this one.

He's seen the glory, he's told the story

Of battles glorious and deeds victorious

But he will cease now, he is at peace now

Far from these green hills of Tyrol