Pro Wrestling Only

WrestleMania 32

TravJ1979

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that the climate of WWE's business now is very bizarre because more than ever, they go against the grain so heavily. To me, if I'm a businessman in any shape or form and I see the kind of risk-reward analysis that we have with Roman's rise in the last 18 months or so I'm saying what in the blue fuck? While I agree that he's to some degree "over", there are a handful of other talents in my mind that could do as good or better in his role. Ambrose is the obvious name but hell, even a guy like Owens could make a huge difference in a few years when the face turn comes around. The biggest issue with WWE is building stars that are going to be around for the long haul. If you look at the years after the Attitude stuff, you see a huge power vacuum and hence the Triple H run we suffered through in the early Draft days. The most vital approach would be to go with what you have and run with it. That's what made Daniel Bryan's overness so incredibly special because everyone sort of knew he was the best regardless of if he's in a meaningless match or not.

Cena acknowledges those reactions though. Reign ignores them, or is made to ignore them, so he comes off like a bigger dork.

Something Russo said on Austin's podcast that actually sounded like a good idea would be if Reigns went out there and flipped off the fans. Imagine the reaction that would get. Maybe that would turn him completely, but maybe not. Maybe he could still be a guy that does right but divides the crowd. But the fact that he doesn't interact with the audience on any level is what's really made this year so fuckin boring to watch. He's really one of, if not the least interesting personalities on the entire roster.

I always took it that the fans who booed Cena just wanted his character to change. The fans that are booing Reigns right now just don't want him to be pushed, period.

Outside of DVDVR/PWO bubble, the IWC largely didn't want Cena as the top guy before the last few years either because he was a "shitty" wrestler and "won all the time."

I always took it that the fans who booed Cena just wanted his character to change. The fans that are booing Reigns right now just don't want him to be pushed, period.

Outside of DVDVR/PWO bubble, the IWC largely didn't want Cena as the top guy before the last few years either because he was a "shitty" wrestler and "won all the time."

Yea and there are people who are STILL completely anti-Cena. I feel like Reigns is in the same boat as Cena too where the vast majority of people booing him now would lose their shit and start wildly cheering him if he turned heel.

Yea and there are people who are STILL completely anti-Cena. I feel like Reigns is in the same boat as Cena too where the vast majority of people booing him now would lose their shit and start wildly cheering him if he turned heel.

Turning Roman heel won't mean jack-shit if he's still forced to deliver the same over-scripted, phony, stiff lines.

Very interesting Instagram post, BTW, from The Rock on his own heel turn. Foreshadowing?

1997, I was 25yrs old, the youngest Intercontinental Champion in WWE history and performing in #WrestleMania13.

It would become one of the most defining moments of my life. Not because it was my first WrestleMania I had the privilege to be a part of, but because I was boo'd out of the building. Literally boo's from 20,000 people that screamed "Get the f*ck outta here". And when you're supposed to be a good guy or "babyface" in wrestling speak - getting boo'd is the worst thing that can ever happen. They boo'd me because I wasn't being real. I was told by the company how to act, how to respond to fans and the worst part of all.. I was told what to say and what not to say.

Not long after this match, I lost the title and was eventually sent home for months to recuperate from an injury - it didn't really matter anyway because I wasn't drawing the company any money nor did the fans care I was gone.

A week before I was scheduled to return to the WWE, I got a call from Vince who said "How do feel about turning heel?" (which means becoming a bad guy). I said "Great, but I have one request... give me 2 minutes on the microphone on live TV and let me be myself. Be real and authentic. I gotta be me". Vince said "You got it". The following week I cut a promo that was from the heart. Real and authentic.

6 months later I was the hottest heel in the company.

Even though I hated being boo'd out of the building at WrestleMania13, I learned one of the greatest life lessons that still serves me today. Be real. Be authentic. Be me.

Truly my honor to perform this Sunday at #WrestleMania32 for the WWE Universe.. as me. #TheRock #DwayneJohnson #BigBrownBaldTattooedPuppyLover #SlightlyElectrifyingAndOneHandsomeSumbitch

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDjIXYSIh4N/

The problem with that thinking is that they'd let Roman do something similar, when in reality, they were getting their asses whooped so much that they basically just let a lot of guys do whatever at the time Rock is talking about. They don't have that crutch to lean on here.

And this is way worse than what Cena was getting. Cena's won over a lot of folks that used to hate him over the years, and the whole brooding thing from Roman doesn't work considering Cena's entire gimmick was him being outspoken. There are basically zero things in the environment WWE has created that would allow Reigns to have his Rocky Maivia transformation.

Something interesting from the latest Observer -

I saw the results of a marketability study regarding the top WWE characters and it's probably one of the reasons they are strong on Reigns. And this was a current fan-based study and not a general public study, which saw Reigns as the fourth highest ranking wrestler on the roster, trailing Cena (who scored much higher than anyone else), Undertaker and Lesnar. Others faring strongly among the active wrestlers were Orton, HHH and Styles, the latter of which probably surprised people. Ambrose also did well, but was far behind the guys mentioned and Owens didn't fare well at all. That may be why they are reluctant to listen to crowd reactions and think they should push someone else.

One major retailer noted that, in order, the top five selling T-shirts at their national chain for 2015 were Cena, Bryan, Reigns, Rollins and Ambrose, in that order.

The problem with that thinking is that they'd let Roman do something similar, when in reality, they were getting their asses whooped so much that they basically just let a lot of guys do whatever at the time Rock is talking about. They don't have that crutch to lean on here.

And this is way worse than what Cena was getting. Cena's won over a lot of folks that used to hate him over the years, and the whole brooding thing from Roman doesn't work considering Cena's entire gimmick was him being outspoken. There are basically zero things in the environment WWE has created that would allow Reigns to have his Rocky Maivia transformation.

Huh? Is the WWE not the only game in town that means jackshit nowadays? There is no more real competition. I understand that it leads to complacence but there is literally zero reason to be terrified of change at this point. The real issue is they just don't want it. I am not talking about a political hit as much as I am talking about they are happy with what they have. Reigns to them is a viable main eventer they can fill out the top of the cards with but he isn't a threat to become The Rock, Hollywood actor (unless things change). They are obviously happy enough with the money they do make off the whole operation. They sell on the name "WWE" and the family who will never leave are the only stars they really need. In fact, it is becoming apparent to me Cena taught them a lesson. That being even if the crowds reject your guy, you will still make money and succeed. Cena was special in that he was a guy who still made the most money regardless what we hear on TV. And the only potential threats to that mindset or philosophy retired in Februarys-2014 and 2016.

Even if you're not a Cena fan, he was fun to cheer against. Much like Hogan, even if you hated him he was a compelling personality. That's not true of Reigns.

It should be noted that a WWE performer was on Jimmy Fallon this week and promoting Wrestlemania. John Cena. Injured, not on the card John Cena. The WWE clearly doesn't trust Reigns to be an ambassador of the brand the way they do with Cena.

Or Jimmy Fallon wanted Cena there instead? The host does decide who appears on the show too so the WWE can't force someone like Rusev to do it even if Fallon agreed to the time for promotion of the show.

I say this because they have had Reigns do stuff for ESPN so I don't think the WWE lacks faith in him.

I wonder why they opted not to have a special referee and corner people for HHH-Reigns, which was supposedly the original plan.

Because Triple H has to have his epic 25-minute-plus star-making main event without anyone's attention being diverted?

I wonder why they opted not to have a special referee and corner people for HHH-Reigns, which was supposedly the original plan.

Because Triple H has to have his epic 25-minute-plus star-making main event without anyone's attention being diverted?

Don't really buy this. The HHH/Taker and HHH/Sting abominations were full of ridiculous distractions and run ins. HHH big matches are often synonymous with screwy finishes and gimmicks.

Don't really buy this. The HHH/Taker and HHH/Sting abominations were full of ridiculous distractions and run ins. HHH big matches are often synonymous with screwy finishes and gimmicks.

I think there's going to be a main event with plenty of screwy run-ins and heavy HHH involvement but it won't be HHH vs. Reigns.

I saw the results of a marketability study regarding the top WWE characters and it's probably one of the reasons they are strong on Reigns. And this was a current fan-based study and not a general public study, which saw Reigns as the fourth highest ranking wrestler on the roster, trailing Cena (who scored much higher than anyone else), Undertaker and Lesnar. Others faring strongly among the active wrestlers were Orton, HHH and Styles, the latter of which probably surprised people. Ambrose also did well, but was far behind the guys mentioned and Owens didn't fare well at all. That may be why they are reluctant to listen to crowd reactions and think they should push someone else.

One major retailer noted that, in order, the top five selling T-shirts at their national chain for 2015 were Cena, Bryan, Reigns, Rollins and Ambrose, in that order.

It probably explains WWE's decisions to an extent for sure, but if I'm a promoter, I'm not looking for convenient answers on why my most marketable stars aren't also the most over with live crowds. That the two things aren't in harmony suggests that something structural is broken somewhere. It's a topic we've beaten to death here, and I know everyone has their theories, but to me, it's still something WWE should seek to fix, whether they change who they push because of it or not.

So, candidates for the run-in extravaganza:

Vince McMahon

Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco

Shawn Michaels

Kevin Nash

Scott Hall

Billy Gunn

Road Dogg

Chyna

X-Pac

Hulk Hogan

Steve Austin

The Rock

Mick Foley

Linda McMahon

Sting

Seth Rollins

Some of them (like Gunn, Hogan and Chyna) are most likely no-goes but some others (like the Rock) are people I'd be surprised to not see doing a run-in of some kind. What else is the Rock really there for? Anyone want to give me some odds?

This probably doesn't mean anything, but they supposedly figured out what Austin and Michaels are doing on the show weeks ago, while plans for Rock haven't been concrete nearly as long. One thing I don't expect him to do on the show is endorse Reigns. Something tells me that lesson was learned in 2015.

It probably explains WWE's decisions to an extent for sure, but if I'm a promoter, I'm not looking for convenient answers on why my most marketable stars aren't also the most over with live crowds. That the two things aren't in harmony suggests that something structural is broken somewhere. It's a topic we've beaten to death here, and I know everyone has their theories, but to me, it's still something WWE should seek to fix, whether they change who they push because of it or not.

the fact that WWE's market research doesn't fall in line with live crowd reactions might be the most important story/theme in wrestling since the beginning of 2014. Pretty much every booking debate boils down to this paradox and so far nothing is working to improve it. I mean yeah we've been debating it here for nearly 2 and a half years and it's still going on with no end in sight

Hoping for a ridiculous trainwreck of a show myself. As long as it isn't boring. The only match that is going to come close to delivering is Lesnar/Ambrose, the rest of the card is horrendous. Triple-H/Reigns had/has potential until you realise it is just going to be worked as your dreary HHH prototype main event.