Pro Wrestling Only

The Project's General Discussion

Grimmas

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With rosters being filled out, why not discuss how we are going to book?

One thing I would like for this is for people to post shows as close to the date as possible. If you are busy, you don't need a huge indepth show, just bullet points or even a one word sentence to describe the big angle. Would totally prefer that to people falling behind.

Doing FMW, means I'm doing tours. IRL FMW does about 11 shows in two weeks, then takes two weeks off, then is one again. There is no way I could post 11 shows in two weeks, so I am going with 9 shows in 3 weeks, then have two weeks off type of tours.

For that, I think most shows will just be the results, with maybe the main event having more details. Last show of the tour will be like my big events, so will be written in more detail. I think that will be easier for me and keep it the most fun. Not every show on a tour is worth even talking about.

So, yeah, what are your plans?

Given that my main focus is the 1983 Project and I don't wanna fall behind on both projects, I'll mostly stick to results and bullet points. But I will add some key highlights to matches when needed (ex: X cuts a promo on X challenging him for X event).

Might be more in-depth for supercards but I'll see when I get there.

My intention is to devote a few pages of prose for each episode of Nitro, a summary sheet for Saturday Night and put more effort into television specials (like Clashes, and another thing which I shall not reveal just yet) and pay-per-view events.

Weeks where I am struggling, due to my studies or some such, I shall post truncated versions of Nitro (with only big angles and matches described in detail) and a truncated paragraph of results for Saturday Nights. For big shows, I intend to write them out in advance, and edit them if circumstances change or I think of something to add/remove, to ensure they're of as high a level of quality as I can deliver (which you will all, I'm sure, be the judges of).

My intention is to devote a few pages of prose for each episode of Nitro, a summary sheet for Saturday Night and put more effort into television specials (like Clashes, and another thing which I shall not reveal just yet) and pay-per-view events.

Weeks where I am struggling, due to my studies or some such, I shall post truncated versions of Nitro (with only big angles and matches described in detail) and a truncated paragraph of results for Saturday Nights. For big shows, I intend to write them out in advance, and edit them if circumstances change or I think of something to add/remove, to ensure they're of as high a level of quality as I can deliver (which all will all, I'm sure, be the judges of).

That's a really great plan for having so many shows.

I'm going to put some detail in my weekly show while including, digest style, results of my house shows. It looks like ECW mainly did a house show loop 2-3 weekends a month while running the Arena for TV tapings roughly 15 times a year.

They generally filmed TV every 3 weeks at the arena, with house shows the in between weeks.

ECWA will be keeping a close eye on your dates...

My writing style will evolve as I get more comfortable with writing OVW going to start skinny with just a simple run-down of what went down on the show and expand when needed.

Probably going to run a bi-weekly Friday show in Louisville , which will turn into weekly tv down the road somewhere.

I'm going to put some detail in my weekly show while including, digest style, results of my house shows. It looks like ECW mainly did a house show loop 2-3 weekends a month while running the Arena for TV tapings roughly 15 times a year.

They generally filmed TV every 3 weeks at the arena, with house shows the in between weeks.

ECWA will be keeping a close eye on your dates...

I have all dates through '95 in the Rosters Thread.

I kept the current dates, from HistoryOf, but uncancelled Ultimate Jeopardy and added a TV taping to kick off the new roster.

My writing style will evolve as I get more comfortable with writing OVW going to start skinny with just a simple run-down of what went down on the show and expand when needed.

Probably going to run a bi-weekly Friday show in Louisville , which will turn into weekly tv down the road somewhere.

I'm sorry for hijacking this for a grammatical question, but can I just confirm that you're using bi-weekly to mean once every two weeks?

To others, is bi-weekly the word you would use?

Curious Australians thank you in advance.

I'm sorry for hijacking this for a grammatical question, but can I just confirm that you're using bi-weekly to mean once every two weeks?

To others, is bi-weekly the word you would use?

Curious Australians thank you in advance.

It can literally mean both, but since he used it in reference to "Friday shows" we can assume that he means once every two weeks :)

I would probably say "one show on friday night every other week" because I am not efficient with my words :)

I plan on running UWFi the way they ran the company from 92-94. Around 12 shows a year. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. Anywhere from 2-6 weeks between shows.

I will have tag team matches and will actually set up UWFi tag team champions. I'll continue the "Junior League" Tournament they ran in 92/93 that wasn't for Juniors but for Younger Guys. Maybe the winner will get a title shot too. I'm debating whether or not to run any G1/Champsions Carnival style tournaments with all of my big names. I mean it would be awesome and all, but I won't really need to considering I'm running such few shows and I already will have a world title. I suspect there will be at least one title tournament due to the title needing to be vacated from injury or something.

I will have angles kind of but it will mostly manifest itself in the form of shit talking through the media and pushing/shoving before/after matches etc. Vader isn't going to hit Akira Maeda with a chair. Shoot style doesn't work that way.

Shoot style is in an interesting place. The founding fathers of shoot style all splintered and formed their own promotion. Now they're back under one roof. There's bitterness and stylistic differences. Maeda is pissed a Fake Pro Wrestler like Shinya Hashimoto is working in the same promotion as him. He strives for realness and thinks Takada is allowing UWFi to become watered down with these guys like Hashimoto and Doc Death and Regal being fake pro wrestlers. Fujiwara is trying to prove he can still hang with his pupils. There's tension all around. Etc etc etc.

If i had to describe my general plans thus far in very few words it would be something like: 4 Horsemen of UWFi. Invasion. Hatred. There will be blood. Takada becomes Surfer Sting. Tamura becomes Crow Sting.

Michinoku Pro ran a ton of house shows in the mid-to-late 90s. They were constantly touring the small cities of the North East. In winter, they all but shut down, running until mid-December, then maybe a couple of shows - if that - in Jan and Feb. This makes sense, as Tohoku can get really cold in Jan and Feb.

The Anniversary Show on or about Oct 10 is the biggest show every year. In November, they run the Futaritabi Tag League over a roughly two-week period.

My plan is to keep a running diary from the POV of a gaijin wrestling super-nerd living in Morioka, in Iwate prefecture. Morioka, home of M-Pro is sister cities with Victoria, BC, Canada. I'm from Vancouver... so, close enough. The write-ups will not be dissimilar to the many Osaka Pro stories I told on SSS, DVDVR, Puroresu TV, and so on a couple of years back. No detailed play by play, but lots of general impressions and even some stories about stuff going on outside of the ring. My imaginary compatriot won't be able to attend every show, but he'll try to hit at least a couple most months.

I may switch to a different "voice" for bigger shows, or shows outside of the Tohoku region.

elliot, I am afraid that too much praise is going to go to your head... but I am really glad that you are considering things like jealousies and bitterness. I think your biggest problem, as booker, will be getting these guys to lay down for each other (your fans, of course, expect clean finishes).and keeping the shooters from going into business for themselves. I'm also glad you're not planning on running too many shows, as the human body just isn't meant to engage in Shoot Style more than a couple of times a month. Looks like you are taking all of that into consideration. Nice work!

This is starting to become an issue for me honestly so I'm thinking more and more about it. Who the hell is going to lose matches? Part of the reason I protected Takayama is that he's big and young and can lose but maintain with a semblance of credibility. There are certain things that happened in real life that I'm going to use in my favor. Vader was out after January for about 3 months and I have no problem loaning him out since he was a WCW Full Timer when he had his deal with UWFi. Maeda only worked 4 times in 1996 and he was past his prime. I'm going to get every drop out of him that I can, while I can. Fujiwara is awesome and a legend and his name means more in the UWFi I'm building than it would anywhere else. But he's not someone I need to consistently carry main events for me.

What to do with Tamura has become interesting in this UWFi world of stars. Depending on how long this goes, I eventually want him to be the top star. In real life I would argue that he's already in the conversation for the best wrestler in the world and he can work with anyone. Ideally he'd go on a long winning streak but that's going to need to be pushed back. He's not ready to beat Volk Han in late 95, let alone Takada/Maeda/Vader.

I have a long term plan for Hashimoto that will make him easy to book.

Since I can only carry 5 foreign talents at once, I'm hoping I can bring someone in for a run if I've loaned out Vader. There's one foreign guy I really wanted to carry full time that I just can't because my plan is to leave that last foreign spot open and cycle in guys like Greg Valentine, Bob Backlund, Norman Smiley, Glacier, etc for one show appearances to put over regular native talent.

I'm also going to tier my roster. I'm not going to have a Michael Jordan Ace that destroys everyone that goes up against him. It'll be more similar to New Japan. Plus I have the added advantage of knockouts and surprise finishes. I see no reason an upset can't occur in shoot style after a random kick to the head or surprise out of nowhere submission. I'll utilize that for big moments. But generally my higher ranked guys will beat my lower ranked guys. The great thing about shoot style and really Japanese wrestling is that how you fight in a loss matters almost as much is "did you win?" If you get dominated for 10 minutes and lose, then you aren't shit. But if you fight for you fucking life, even if its for 10 minutes, that loss isn't going to matter nearly as much and people the fans/media will talk about your guts and fighting spirit and all that shit.

But generally speaking....

Takada, Maeda, Vader, Hashimoto, Volk Han, Doc Death are all capable of beating one another on any given night. They will usually beat the guys in the tiers below them.

Fujiwara, Tamura, Yamazaki, Regal can all take it too one another and on the right night could push the top guys to the absolute limit.

Sano, Takayama, Sakuraba, Ishikawa at this point don't really stand a chance against the top tier, but, Regal and Ishikawa could craft a fucking hell of a match in late 95.

There aren't any main eventers left for me to draft. I'm probably going to have too many guys I want to push/protect at the end and will have to make sacrifices when it comes to booking. But that's a problem I'm ok with having. Realistically looking at the guys I have drafted the ones who will work literally every show from 1995-1996 are:

Hashimoto, Fujiwara, Tamura, Yamazaki, Regal, Sano, Takayama, Sakuraba, Ishikawa.

Takada, Volk Han, Dr Death, and Vader will probably work at least 2/3rds of the first year of shows.

Maeda could work as few as 4 shows in 1996 like he did i real life but I might cheat and bump that up to 6. I'm not sure. We're not there yet.

My big stadium shows are going to have everyone and I'll probably do one every 4 months or so. Again, we're not there yet. I need the full roster but I have long term stories I want to tell with everyone I've drafted so far.

Given that I've got all of these guys under one roof, I'm basically operating under the assumption of Bill Gates bought UWFi for some reason and these guys are more willing to play ball and put each other over because I'm paying them so much money but the fans know the history of literally all of these guys so well that something as small as "tempers flare" or wrestler X is jealous because of the attention wrestler Y is getting or simple press conference shit talking will carry so much weight. So my shoot style promotion will have worked shoot angles. Maeda will talk about what a bitch Takada is and how much he hates him, but Maeda will in the end playball. But I am absolutely going to lean heavily on the personal dislike those two guys had especially.

Quick side tangent, I think my favorite thing in the history of the WON is the 1996 G1 Climax review/history of Inoki/New Japan. If you haven't read it, stop everything. In that piece Dave talks about how Inoki's penchant for wrestling karate fighters in the 70s and eventually Ali came from a desire to book "Matches that were so big fans believed they had to be real because one guy wouldn't agree to lose to the other guy." That's basically my top tier. Every combination of matches is massive. But don't expect Takada, Hashimoto, Vader, Maeda, Volk Han & Doc on literally every single card. UWFi would run 6 and 7 match shows because as gordi alluded to, guys would get injured in some way, would be training etc. Shoot style's whole premise is to be as realistic as possible and it simply isn't realistic for these guys to have 20 "Fights" a year.

This is all why I'm going to beat up on FMW. :)

If I understand correctly, the 5-people-from-another-country limit only applies to the draft. I don't think it's meant to be a hard cap. If I'm not mistaken, that would mean that you can safely draft one of the Russian guys - or, say, a former arm-wrestler - and still be able to rotate other gaijin in during the year as you like.