TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, KinchStalker said:

Some coverage of an AJPW sumo signing from an issue of Monthly Pro Wrestling released 45 years ago to the month, as well as an included pinup. I don't think the guy ever amounted to much, though.

IMG_20211118_210147709_HDR.thumb.jpg.c889d51d55edba4d5f7329b397b9e4b5.jpgIMG_20211118_210307881_HDR.thumb.jpg.e86db7a5c801197777ffe325425eae59.jpgIMG_20211118_210254531_HDR.thumb.jpg.126f9d489a5dc1c27368ce662acffed3.jpg

He was so handsome when he was young and not perennially pissed off

I've seen Sakaguchi use a jumping knee as a finish in 1977, which makes me wonder whether he or Jumbo was first to borrow that attack (which Jumbo got from kickboxer Tadashi Sawamura). I know Jumbo was using it as early as the 5/1/76 Champion Carnival match against Baba, but I haven't seen any 76 Sakaguchi to compare.

1 hour ago, KinchStalker said:

I've seen Sakaguchi use a jumping knee as a finish in 1977, which makes me wonder whether he or Jumbo was first to borrow that attack (which Jumbo got from kickboxer Tadashi Sawamura). I know Jumbo was using it as early as the 5/1/76 Champion Carnival match against Baba, but I haven't seen any 76 Sakaguchi to compare.

ShowaPuroresu's move guide seems to credit it to Sakaguchi, though credit for introducing it to Japan should apparently go to either Karl Krupp or Dory Funk, Jr.

Every morning for the past several days when I get up & am checking out various internet websites while having my morning coffee, the first thing I have been looking for is if WWE fired more wrestlers.

I was thinking that if I do that & feel that way, imagine how people currently employed feel in WWE?

I also reckon that it puts a lot of pressure on Tony Khan because he constantly wants to look like the "good guy" wrestling promoter, but he can't realistically hire everyone. Some would argue that the AEW roster is already feeling too bloated. 

Kenny Omega having to leave for awhile to heal might be a blessing in disguise for both him & AEW. Opens up a spot plus Kenny will come back more fresh to the live crowds.

I know WWE now has the directive change for NXT about hiring taller guys & people under 30, but their training grounds seem to be very lackluster these days. They're not cranking out future stars like OVW used to do. Where is the WWE owned/backed facility that has the next John Cena, Batista, Brock Lesnar & Randy Orton coming out of it? Even the best TV deals you can get doesn't matter if you don't have product you can air or people to build to in the future.

I also think WWE talent are going to start asking for different demands in their contracts. Have buy out options or no cut clauses so that your name isn't just posted online among a bunch of various peers in a list of random cuts that circles on social media.

We either need a new third televised promotion in the United States or a company like Impact or MLW is going to have to step up huge. All these people fired from WWE that don't get signed to AEW are going to have to go somewhere. And right now, going to Impact feels like going to an elephant graveyard. I'm honestly kind of shocked there's not a weekly streaming online wrestling product on something like Netflix or Hulu. I felt like the show Heels was kind of going in that direction.

I wonder if AEW is opening any eyes in the TV world, now that there is proof a non WWE wrestling company can garner good-to-great TV ratings. Of course a lot of that was because it was run by someone who wasn't just a money mark and was putting on a product the fans like, but it's the first non WWE wrestling show to be successful and if nothing else I'd think other TV execs noticed how gaga TNT got over the ratings. 

I tapped when the guy with no neck muscles (spoiler alert) kicked out of a Death Valley Driver at one. I hate that shit with a passion, especially when it's scrawny green kids taking neck-death when they've GOT NO NECK! But they crowd dug it, and in all sincerity, that's all that matters. 

Saw a cloud earlier. Might go shake my fist at it, seeing as I'm in the mood...

For context, Nick Wayne is Buddy Wayne's son and he was kind of a local indy hero in the Pacific Northwest scene. Not that it takes away from the fact that Nick is apparently some kind of pro wrestling prodigy (he's only like 16 or something I think), but it is a part of why the crowd loved him so much. 

Apparently Janela was supposed to go over, but he called an audible and changed the finish when he saw how over the kid was. He seems to have an eye for up-and-coming indy talent, which makes him an asset to AEW even if he doesn't have an official role as a talent scout. I was going to say the kid's in good hands if Buddy Wayne is his father (he's the one who trained my guy Darby Allin), but I just found out that Buddy died four years ago. Still, it looks like he's more of a Terry Funk than an Erik Watts.

2 minutes ago, Laz said:

Janela is one of the low-key most important figures in modern wrestling, and it's weird to think of that.

I know he's not super-popular around here but it was nice to be able to see him sink his teeth into a match for the first time in forever.  I'm looking forward to seeing him work on the indies more in the future.  Just doesn't seem like he'll be a fit in AEW after his contract is up, and I think it's best for everyone involved. 

Janela has been an underwhelming signing for AEW, and that's putting it nicely, so it's good to see him regaining some of his previous indie cred and buzz with this match.

I'm guessing Tony Khan can't wait to get rid of him, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he keeps a few of these early signings around for Dark and pays them per appearance. 

4 hours ago, Stiva said:

Janela would be a good fit in a heel stable, I think. Like one of the nWo guys who would stand around clapping while the actual main eventers beat down Lex Luger

Perfect usage for him on-air, because there's enough good in him to make him a fun watch but he's pretty weak bell-to-bell unless he's bumping and dying. Great modern job guy, @C.S. has the right idea about keeping him around for Dark. And probably try to utilize him as an agent and/or talent scout.