TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Speaking of DVDVR, remember when Lance Storm had a shit fit about the inconsequential, only nerds care about it, DVDVR 500?

That would be like Seth Rollins pitching a shit fit over PWO GWE. 

Lance is the exact guy I'd suspect would be upset about such a thing, so it's oddly poetic. 

How were the Von Erich sons as heels? I know David did some heel work outside of Texas and later Kerry did too, just curious how they came off? I haven't seen much of David's work outside of World Class, but from his promos I can imagine he'd work as like a younger version of Stan Hansen and Brody (or in a more contemporary sense, JBL). 

5 hours ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

How were the Von Erich sons as heels? I know David did some heel work outside of Texas and later Kerry did too, just curious how they came off? I haven't seen much of David's work outside of World Class, but from his promos I can imagine he'd work as like a younger version of Stan Hansen and Brody (or in a more contemporary sense, JBL). 

From what I've seen, David was a natural heel and would've excelled in the role. I've only seen Kerry and Kevin in a brief clip as heels, but I think the consensus was they weren't very convincing 

So I figured someone on the board would have a good answer for me. I was just kicking around YouTube and just seeing what really old stuff I could find and was a little surprised when I found a Stetcher/Caddock match from 1920 and another match claiming to be 1913 but I don't remember who was involved there. 

How much pre 1940s footage is actually available. My rabbit hole started because I wanted to see if there was footage of Jim Londos still around. 

There's a 25 minute Stecher/Caddock title match in there (links are provided). That's the first one I'll be checking out because I've read so highly of Joe Stecher. (I knew the thread existed but never read it, always telling myself I'd come back to it.)

7 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

Over 200 matches, going by the thread, "Comprehensive List: Viewable Pre-1945 Wrestling Footage" from WrestlingClassics.  http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=004411
*Edit: over 200 videos.

Nice. Thanks for the link. I will be checking this stuff out. 

I also want to check out the Stetcher match from 1920.

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

So I figured someone on the board would have a good answer for me. I was just kicking around YouTube and just seeing what really old stuff I could find and was a little surprised when I found a Stetcher/Caddock match from 1920 and another match claiming to be 1913 but I don't remember who was involved there. 

How much pre 1940s footage is actually available. My rabbit hole started because I wanted to see if there was footage of Jim Londos still around. 

It's actually conveniently organized at this very board

Pre-30s

https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/forum/389-pre-1930s/

1930-47

https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/forum/1025-1930-1947/

From the Observer site - "The NWA has announced that Jordan Clearwater, Crimson, and Slice Boogie will be part of their return on March 21 on the Back to Attack pay-per-view on FITE TV."

I wasn't going to give them money, but now that I know Jordan Clearwater AND Slice Boogie will be there? 

I love it when I hear wrestling jargon used in sports. Just now I was watching CBS Sports coverage of the NCAA Basketball Tournament seeding during my lunch break. Their nerdy sports analysts said "Oklahoma State was jobbed out by the selection committee, they deserve better than a four seed. I expect them to go over Illinois in the Sweet 16."

This is a half-comment/half-question. Prepare yourself. This is what I thought about when I couldn't fall asleep.

Was Hogan vs. Sid at WrestleMania VIII just Lesnar vs. Goldberg from WrestleMania XX  12 years earlier?

Some context: I've heard numerous reasons given for why Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan didn't happen at WrestleMania VIII. Its been said that they didn't do good business on the house show loop. It's been said that Vince didn't feel the matches they had were Mania worthy when he saw them. Its been said that there were "politics" involved (basically neither guy wanted to do the job). Some of these theories have been almost 100% disproven. The idea that Vince was bored or turned off by the Hogan formula doesn't hold water because he not only still had Hogan working on top at WrestleMania VIII but stuck with him for WMIX too. Flair not putting Hogan over, but he was willing to do the job for Savage? For Bret later in the year? For Perfect? For Hogan multiple times in 94'? I just don't buy it. The final theory - that Hogan and Flair weren't drawing - is one I've seen alot...but I always wonder how their supposedly poor houses looked compared to a year prior or a year later. Plus there's that pesky 1994 data when Hogan and Flair actually did finally square off on PPV and it did record-setting buys for WCW. Its just hard to understand why something that was a hit in 94' was going to be a huge flop in 92'. Its not like either guy had had a renaissance in those 2 years. 

Maybe its been mentioned elsewhere, but it got me thinking - maybe Hogan/Flair at WrestleMania VIII is an Occam's Razor thing. The simplest explanation for why it didn't happen is not because Vince was afraid the show would tank, but because, for lack of a better word, circumstances.

In Vince's eyes, he had 4-5 top guys going into the show and an ace up his sleeve with the Ultimate Warrior returning. Two of them were heading out the door, though - Hulk Hogan and Sid. Now, I'm not sure of the exact timeline of Sid leaving - I know he did continue working for a few weeks/month after WrestleMania - but its likely Vince suspected Sid wasn't going to be around much into the summer or had already given up on him. Hulk Hogan (I think ) was off filming a movie (Suburban Commando? Mr. Nanny?) and was taking time off anyway. So, in a sense, booking those two guys against eachother gives you a "double send-off" that you couldn't do if you had Flair/Hogan. In that scenario, if Hogan wins, he still leaves - which buries Flair. If you give Flair the W, well...this is 1992 and WrestleMania and its still a Hulkster-driven company and that would go against the formula. I don't think having Flair go over would've even be considered. 

So, if you've got Hogan/Sid pencilled in because it makes the most sense to give them a double send-off, you've got to find an opponent for Flair. I think here is where Vince probably looked at it as being Savage or Piper and, ultimately, the Savage/Liz/Flair storyline was just too perfect to pass up. Plus, you could now pair up Piper with Vince's next project - Bret Hart - who had history and, as Bret was not known for his charisma, Piper could inject the needed drama into that story. When you look at Hart/Piper and the Taker/Jake Roberts match (and to a lesser degree Tatanka/Martel and HBK/Tito Santana), you can kinda see that at least somewhere in Vince's brain, he was planning for a post-Hogan/New Generation future - even, if, at the same time, he was obviously perfectly happy giving fans that feel-good formulaic ending by ending Mania with a Hulk Hogan posedown.

Fast forward to WrestleMania XX. The fans in attendance are much "smarter" and know that Goldberg and Lesnar are both leaving. Any lines of heel/face are gone as the audience boos the hell out of both guys. At WM8, this couldn't and wouldn't have happened (though its not like Hogan/Sid tore the house down either). Hogan/Sid ended with Papa Shango running down and then the Ultimate Warrior returning to clean house and pose. While Hogan got some shine too, it was a moment to celebrate Warrior's return. At WM20, its Steve Austin who gets the spotlight in the end, taking out both guys and partying in the ring as the crowd cheers. Again, its just an updated version of what Warrior did as, in 1992, if Warrior had come down, beaten up Sid, beaten up Shango, and then beaten up Hogan too, the audience would've been mostly confused (especially all the lil' Hulkamaniacs). But Austin stunning heels and faces and authorities and Santa Claus? Always a pop with every age group. Times had changed, but the booking theory is kinda the same. 

TLDR - Hogan/Flair didn't happen at WrestleMania VIII because Vince realized he needed to do a double send-off with Hogan/Sid instead...which became the formula for Goldberg/Lesnar at WrestleMania XX.