Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Can anyone identify the guy with the annoying laugh that is on commentary with Hugo Savinovich for this match?

It's obviously not the original commentary, and at first I thought it was one of the Insane Clowns based on the voice, but the more I listen, I don't think it is. 

I just can't place it!

Al Perez vs Abdullah the Butcher

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

Can anyone identify the guy with the annoying laugh that is on commentary with Hugo Savinovich for this match?

It's obviously not the original commentary, and at first I thought it was one of the Insane Clowns based on the voice, but the more I listen, I don't think it is. 

I just can't place it!

Al Perez vs Abdullah the Butcher

I believe it's Bobby Jaggers. He did commentary with Hugo on a bunch of tapes from around then

On 2/25/2024 at 6:37 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

In April of '87,  they launched the new variety show format combining studio segments with broadcasts of the matches, using comedians and such.

Ah is this why Takeshi Kitano was involved in late '87 with the Sumo Hall riot and everything? Always seemed like a weird celebrity angle even considering his popularity.

It was a lot easier to engage in blatant copyright infringement when pro wrestling was considered unworthy of acknowledgment by much of the media and corporate world even when it was bigger in some ways than it is today. That goes for other crimes as well. Look at how long Vince McMahon was able to hide in plain sight due to being viewed as just a rasslin' promoter despite being the CEO of a billion-dollar publicly traded corporation.

4 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

It was a lot easier to engage in blatant copyright infringement when pro wrestling was considered unworthy of acknowledgment by much of the media and corporate world even when it was bigger in some ways than it is today. That goes for other crimes as well. Look at how long Vince McMahon was able to hide in plain sight due to being viewed as just a rasslin' promoter despite being the CEO of a billion-dollar publicly traded corporation.

On a smaller scale, it's why so many territories were able to use copyrighted  music even on their TV shows that would do monster local ratings. Hell, ECW was still doing it up until the late 90s.

Speaking of copyrights...

I know its just your run-of-the-mill "Fuck WWE" comment, but supposedly (I could be wrong, we'll see) the WWE didn't grant permission for AEW to use any of the footage they own for tonight's Sting send-off. 

I'm not surprised, but assuming that AEW reached out and asked, its still a dick move and one that I don't understand. The WWE permitting AEW to make a video package about Sting that includes all of his WCW highlights is basically having AEW produce and air a commericlal for the WWE-on-Peacock on one of their biggest shows of the year. I mean, if your rival business wants to start advertising your brand for you, let them. 

I don't understand why fair use doesn't apply in cases like this, but I'm not a legal expert.

I read a funny comment on Reddit that Tony should use the footage without WWE's permission and then pay whatever the lawsuit costs because he can afford it. That's absolute madness, and I don't agree, but lol.

10 hours ago, C.S. said:

I don't understand why fair use doesn't apply in cases like this, but I'm not a legal expert.

There isn't a whole lot of clarity on what constitutes fair use, but in order for it to apply for a commercial work, the use has to be transformative, meaning it alters the purpose or character of the original work. Using wrestling footage to promote a wrestling event would likely be a tough sell to a courtroom. And WWE could always claim that allowing footage they own to appear on another promotion's programming would make people less likely to subscribe to Peacock to see the footage.

Not sure where else to put this, but is anyone having trouble resetting their password on DVDVR?

I have two problems:

1. I am not 100% certain which e-mail I used for my current account.

2. I have an old account (somehow) and do know the e-mail I used, but no password reset message was ever sent to it.

Who can I contact?

I am hoping someone here will know, or better yet a DVDVR mod posts here, because I'm pretty sure I found out about PWO through DVDVR.

46 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I think that was Daniel Puder, not Rodimer.

And it was the other way around--Puder did a number on him.

This other guy got a few wins on Sunday Night Heat and was apparently someone that Stephanie McMahon was weirdly really high on, seeing him as a future star.

3 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I think that was Daniel Puder, not Rodimer.

Kurt did a number on pretty much all of them. As brother @PeteF3 pointed out, it bit him in the ass and nearly caused major embarrassment to Angle when he tried to do it to Puder, cuz when Angle took him down, Puder put him in a tightly locked kimura. If Kurt didn't tap, the kimura would have broken his arm. A ref saved Kurt when he counted to three when Puder was applying the kimura and called it a pinfall, even though Puder's shoulders were clearly up.

I am not sure if that Smackdown episode aired live, if it was taped they would have definitely edited out that segment if Kurt had actually tapped out or ended up with a broken arm. Word would have got out though. I remember Meltzer strongly calling for booking a feud between the two based on this incident. 

On 3/3/2024 at 1:54 AM, C.S. said:

I read a funny comment on Reddit that Tony should use the footage without WWE's permission and then pay whatever the lawsuit costs because he can afford it. That's absolute madness, and I don't agree, but lol.

FWIW Dave mentioned in an update that AEW didn't even bother to ask WWE if they could use any of their footage of Sting, I suppose they assumed they'd say no and didn't even want to waste their time.

We talked a lot about people like The Miz and Dolph Ziggler having runs in WWE for the longest time, but I can't think of a single person who's spend as much time in the company as Bobcore Holly and did less than him. He was there for SIXTEEN years.

On 3/7/2024 at 3:53 PM, brockobama said:

Is there any hard delineation between the Brazo de Plata and Super Porky names? Does he go from using Plata to using Porky at a specific time or does he just use them both interchangeably?

interchangeably more or less. The Porky name started when he started getting....well....super porky.

I remember that thread. First off, a couple of the comments quoted in the Power Slam piece were clearly sarcastic. Second, taking a contrarian perspective on Angle and HBK's work was warranted to a degree, but the mid-2000s backlash against them at places like DVDVR definitely went too far. "JBL is better than Michaels and Angle" is an Armond White-tier bad take. I think someone in that thread even said that Snitsky was a better worker.