Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Just watched Midnight Express vs Rock n Roll Express from May 1984, and what really stuck out to me is how much is lost in an era where the referees don’t strongly enforce the rules and keep on the wrestlers to adhere to them. I don’t think anybody’s clamoring for a return to announcers pontificating about whether a fist was closed or not, but it would be nice to have more procedural details and limits to get invested in like are present here.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I think it's when Terry Funk was commissioner, calling himself and Orndorff the "Old Age Outlaws". As part of this, he made Jarrett face three old boys on Nitro in one night, with Santana, George Steele and Jimmy Snuka all turning up. Unfortunately, Jarrett got concussion when either Snuka or Chris Benoit landed on his head from the top rope.

13 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I had no idea that Tito Santana was ever in WCW.

17 minutes ago, NotJayTabb said:

Yeah, I think it's when Terry Funk was commissioner, calling himself and Orndorff the "Old Age Outlaws". As part of this, he made Jarrett face three old boys on Nitro in one night, with Santana, George Steele and Jimmy Snuka all turning up. Unfortunately, Jarrett got concussion when either Snuka or Chris Benoit landed on his head from the top rope.

Yep. Classic stuff right there. Direct link to THAT week, which was also the last match of Bret Hart's career, which sucked, and the last of Russo's first booking stint, which also sucked, but in a different way. 

On 1/14/2024 at 5:18 PM, NintendoLogic said:

I had no idea that Tito Santana was ever in WCW.

IIRC, Bobby Heenan infamously called him the best Mexican wrestler of all time on that show.

I love me some Tito, but come on, with the wealth of amazing luchadors WCW had at its disposal, that felt like a real "Ok, Boomer" moment decades before the phrase was coined.

14 minutes ago, El-P said:

The "meat" chant was funny as a novelty the first time around. It has officially overstayed its welcome already.

All animals, when they have success with an action, will repeat the behaviour. It's going to be a long winter, mon ami.

"WHAT?"

Both chimpanzees and humans spontaneously imitate each other's actions.

"WHAT?"

7 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

All animals, when they have success with an action, will repeat the behaviour. It's going to be a long winter, mon ami.

"WHAT?"

Both chimpanzees and humans spontaneously imitate each other's actions.

"WHAT?"

I know. This chant ain't going away anytime soon, ain't it ?

To me, since it's mostly guys chanting it (you can hear it), it kinda comes off like some Fight Club masculinist/incels fantasy.

Wondering flippantly who's going to play Happy Humphrey in DSotR Harley Race Edition, led me to wonder seriously:

Where have all the 500-pounders gone?

I can't follow the U.S indys as closely as some of you, but is there anyone getting around the ring at that weight these days? I can't believe America in general has less morbidly obese people than they had in the past. Does the quality of work expected nowadays preclude many who would've got a gig back in my day? Stricter medical exams?

500 pounders is very unlikely. Shit, Mabel and Earthquake probably never were that big. You get big dudes like Tank wrestling around the indies in Georgia, but even then, he's way lighter.

Otis, who's a MASSIVE human, is around 350, and Ivar is around 295. It's difficult to get people 100lbs heavier than that, even according to the Cagematch database.

3 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

I can't follow the U.S indys as closely as some of you, but is there anyone getting around the ring at that weight these days? I can't believe America in general has less morbidly obese people than they had in the past. Does the quality of work expected nowadays preclude many who would've got a gig back in my day? Stricter medical exams?

I think after Yokozuna's weight got out of control to the point he wasn't being allowed to work, that kind of put the kibosh on 500+ pounders in wrestling. There's some big boys on the indy scene, but no one near the size of superheavyweights from years past.

Also considering how wrestlers in general are smaller and less jacked than back then, someone in the 300 pound range looks proportionally as large compared to them as someone like King Kong Bundy looked back in the day.

3 hours ago, Al said:

Mabel was also ungodly tall. Puf is listed at 418. He’s fun to watch though he’s mostly a comedy wrestler. Bojack is 6’, around 350 and uses his size well.

I thought for years Mabel was super tall. Met him and he was maybe 6'4" tops. Had about an inch  on me and I am 6'3"

But on bigger dudes on the indies pretty much down in the gulf states heaviest guys are right under 300. Got guys like Nightmare Jeremiah,RJW The Judge,Monty Warbucks and others that are either 300 legit or get announced at 300.

Monty Brown is up there with Magnum TA as the biggest "what if?" in the business, huh? Dude was over despite being booked into the ground during Jarrett's reign of terror. He did have some nice moments in WWECW, but still he was done with the business wayyyyy too soon.

On 1/22/2024 at 12:45 AM, Timbo Slice said:

Ace Romero has lost some weight since his peak but he definitely fit the bill, as does Barrington Hughes. 

And one I cant believe I forgot Angel Camacho. TX based but also works LA and MS. 450lbs or so. Took a superplex from Apoc Adam Asher and bent one of the pins holding the ring post to the frame.

Really on the indies all the BIG MONSTERS are at the most 300.

I think Jon Moxley is far too big a character and figure in the current game to be getting powerbombed on a table "full of forks" as per this week's Wrestling Revolver

He's got zero bollocks but its the type of thing Tony Khan should be hauling his employees over hot coal for

14 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Foley wants a final deathmatch for his 60th birthday. He's been in rough fucking shape for the past decade or so, so... not sure about that one.

Rough shape for the past decade is pretty generous. He's been a wreck since 1999 at least. Perhaps he could do a smoke and mirrors hardcore match at this point, but that's the kind of thing that would need to be on a Joey Janella Spring Break show at best.

Watching the MLW show tonight, and seeing Jacob Fatu's last match (his contract was up yesterday) makes me wonder if/when he ends up in WWE. Booker T publicly stated he's lobbying to get him hired, and it would make sense bring in other family members for the Rock/Roman build.