Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

18 hours ago, cactus said:

The first 1985 non-TV matches that were featured on the DVDVR are two matches from a Houston card that don't feel like they have any relationship to what was being shown on TV apart from some of the same talent being used. 

The Houston shows were Paul Boesch shows that used most of the same talent. They weren't technically Mid South shows but sometimes they were used for angle advancement, sometimes they were just used to show Mid South guys in a bigger environment. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@ohtani's jacket it is really amazing beating your annoyingly great asses after 20 fucking years. Fucking top of the world

@Dav'oh LMAO you all lost after getting us 3 wickets down for 2 runs (both extras). Virat Kohli owns you all 

@ButchReedMark what can I even say, man. Sucks to suck, please don't permanently cripple Stokes in all of this 

It's just foreplay, @MoS, no need to get too excited yet ;). We've been having trouble undoing the bra, that's all. Wait for the knock-out stage, good brother.

A tournament hosted by India, in India, for India? Yeah, you'd think India would do well. Making the English play in +35C (ed: 95F)  and 600% humidity is priceless.

7 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

It's just foreplay, @MoS, no need to get too excited yet ;). We've been having trouble undoing the bra, that's all. Wait for the knock-out stage, good brother.

A tournament hosted by India, in India, for India? Yeah, you'd think India would do well. Making the English play in +35C (ed: 95F)  and 600% humidity is priceless.

The tournament being in India does not explain why New Zealand and South Africa are both doing so much better. Although yeah, you are right, underestimating the Aussies, especially during the knockout stages, would be one of the stupidest things one can do. 

Watching England suffer and shit the bed after all the talk of revolutionizing and changing cricket makes me giggle in joy

I'm completely sick of the "both almost hit their finish in the first 2 minutes" spot that has been a staple of "we are using psychology for this epic match" at least in the US since Rock/Austin. I know it was more common in Japan earlier than that, but it is so overplayed and no one ever hits the finish that early to make it actually seem dangerous. The only times I can recall that happening is with Brock, either hitting an instant F5 for a kick out and laughing, or Cena hitting an FU on him and him kicking out immediately and laughing.

It's as played out and ultimately somewhat of the evolution of the indie respek stand off, which I also hate. 

I think that the WWE Hall of Fame should take a cue from the Academy Awards and put a short "in memorium" segment for the wrestlers who have died in the past year. It would only take a couple of minutes and be a nice gesture. They did something like that for the first ECW One Night Stand.

On 10/25/2023 at 12:26 PM, strobogo said:

I'm completely sick of the "both almost hit their finish in the first 2 minutes" spot that has been a staple of "we are using psychology for this epic match" at least in the US since Rock/Austin. I know it was more common in Japan earlier than that, but it is so overplayed and no one ever hits the finish that early to make it actually seem dangerous. The only times I can recall that happening is with Brock, either hitting an instant F5 for a kick out and laughing, or Cena hitting an FU on him and him kicking out immediately and laughing.

Goldberg when he beat Brock at Survivor Series & Brock when he won the title back from Kofi as well. Also, the Wrestlemania where Daniel Bryan was distracted by AJ Lee & immediately ate a finish but I think that's kind of different.

I agree though. With anything, really, there's always a point where you're like, this was cool at first but now it's just cliché & boring. Someone should bring back using the drop down as an actual trip again just because it's been so long.

2 hours ago, JRH said:

I think that the WWE Hall of Fame should take a cue from the Academy Awards and put a short "in memorium" segment for the wrestlers who have died in the past year. It would only take a couple of minutes and be a nice gesture. They did something like that for the first ECW One Night Stand.

I'm sure the last thing WWE wants to do is draw even more attention to all the premature deaths in the industry.

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

Goldberg when he beat Brock at Survivor Series & Brock when he won the title back from Kofi as well. Also, the Wrestlemania where Daniel Bryan was distracted by AJ Lee & immediately ate a finish but I think that's kind of different.

I agree though. With anything, really, there's always a point where you're like, this was cool at first but now it's just cliché & boring. Someone should bring back using the drop down as an actual trip again just because it's been so long.

There was a drop down trip spot every show for the first 4-5 weeks of Collision. 

On 10/25/2023 at 12:26 PM, strobogo said:

It's as played out and ultimately somewhat of the evolution of the indie respek stand off, which I also hate. 

This is why the first Goldberg/Brock match of Brock’s second run ruled so hard at the time, THE BEAST put down in two minutes.

Ronda Rousey & Marina Shafir working against Athena & Billie Starkz (so that's 3 AEW talents) at Pro Wrestling Revolver is certainly interesting. Really did not expect her to be one to go and work indies, but there you have it (and yeah, she did that match involving Taya (where the hell is she ?) and Brian *gasp* Kendrik). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

Back in GQ! Talking about the best actors in Wrestling Movies/TV based on their wrestling ability

https://www.gq.com/story/nine-actors-whove-played-pro-wrestlers-ranked-by-acting-and-wrestling-ability

Great article! Its funny that nobody from Young Rock made the list since Rock's production company made that. Also sad that Zeus from No Holds Barred did make the although it's a bad movie I haven't seen in 30 years, my inner seven year old still remembers how Zeus was one of the first guys I saw when I first saw pro wrestling.

Is WWE allowing him to use the Mustafa Ali name? If not, there's probably a cease and desist letter in his future. It's not his real name and he didn't use it prior to WWE (he did use the name Prince Mustafa Ali, but it looks like he's dropped the Prince part), so I don't know what grounds he would have to claim ownership of the trademark.