Pro Wrestling Only

Jim Ross claiming Goldberg v Lesnar happening at Survivor Series

Strummer

I don't get the "why would anyone want to see this" mentality. It may not be your cup of tea but two guys pushed as unstoppable monsters colliding (and not in front of a crowd shitting on the match because word got out both are leaving) might appeal to someone. Yeah, Goldberg's old now but I'd sure as hell take him over grandpa Shane cosplaying as wrestler again.

I am intrigued by the match layout. Goldberg will be 50 come Dec and I HIGHLY doubt he will be taking any of Brock's German suplexes. Hell, I don't even see Goldberg taking a belly-to-belly. I expect a lot of strikes, brawling, work in the turnbuckle area, etc. Pretty much the Mania match without the whole pseudo big match antics. If these guys work snug, it could easily be the most believable looking match on the show. Should be fun to see.

I don't get the "why would anyone want to see this" mentality. It may not be your cup of tea but two guys pushed as unstoppable monsters colliding (and not in front of a crowd shitting on the match because word got out both are leaving) might appeal to someone. Yeah, Goldberg's old now but I'd sure as hell take him over grandpa Shane cosplaying as wrestler again.

I think the only reason WWE would want this is so Brock can get his win back.

Why would anyone want to see this? This is even less appealing then Lesnar vs Shane.

I'm not the target audience, but I agree. Yuck. I also think this is going to mean very little. Goldberg peaked before a lot of fans were even born. He's a relic from an era long gone. Plus, the fanbase has changed and I'm not even sure it would get over now. The average WWE fan in 2016 would rather watch Brian Kendrick and Sami Zayn than Goldberg and Brock Lesnar.

If they want to put Brock in attraction matches (which I think is all they can do since they haven't built up any main roster opponents who are viable for him), then I'd rather them do worked matches against guys from MMA and boxing and try to make him an American Inoki or something.

I will admit if they were still on pay-per-view and promoted it properly, they could probably get a bunch of old fans back one time with a big buyrate.

I kind of like this. If they're going to run Brock-Goldberg, this still leaves open the possibility of more interesting pairings for one or both (if Goldberg sticks around for a second match) for Mania. I doubt they set Joe on that course if he is indeed called up shortly after the November Takeover, but whether its him or someone else the opportunity is there for something fun and different if they want to do it.

This reeks of Hogan/Warrior in 1998.

Good analogy.

Let me add my voice to the "Why should anyone give a fuck" crowd. (Oh, yeah, because the late 90's is the last time pro-wrestling was relevant in the grand scheme of things, and no one has been a real star since then, and HHH is a legend). Plus they had one of the worst match ever already. But hey, you get the dream match you deserve.

I'll add "good for Goldy" though, who's supposedly a good guy and heard he really wanted his child see him wrestle once. More power to him if he tricks those WWE idiots into throwing more money into a useless nostalgia match.

I do want Sable on my WWE TV at some point. She was a fucking draw too in 1999. Make it happen.

(but, uh, yeah, this beats Lesnar vs Shane by a million stars)

THe reason I don't understand why anyone would want to see this is pretty simple. We've seen it before, and we didn't like it. It was terrible, they lost the crowd, and I can't think of a single reason that it would be better now than it was then. Both guys are older, one guy is almost 50 and hasn't wrestled a match in over a decade. The other guy's entire offense is based on two moves, and I don't know if repeatedly suplexing a 50 year old who hasn't been taking bumps is a good idea. I honestly don't see how this won't be worse than their first match, which was horrendous.

That's the problem with Lesnar that Loss alluded to, you have to resort to desperation tactics like this because they haven't done jack shit to make anyone on their roster look like they belong in his league. Rusev could have been in that league but that ship has sailed, I would argue that ship has sailed with Reigns as well.

Lesnar vs. Crippled Steve Austin!

Lesnar vs. The Rock because....reasons!

Lesnar vs. Hogan!

Lesnar vs. Cena...again!

Lesnar vs. Taker XII: Taker's Revenge!

When was the last time Goldberg even worked a match? He's a guy whose weaknesses you needed to hide in even the best of times. Put me in the "morbid curiosity" camp but this kind of stuff really doesn't appeal to me.

What exactly is the end-game with Brock?

I heard about this too and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it.

On one hand, it's great that Goldberg will finally get the match he wants to have so his kids can see him wrestle. Plus, it gives Survivor Series a much needed boost.

The opposite end of the spectrum says that this is going to be a horrible match. I just went back and watched their Mania 20 match a few weeks ago and it was just as horrible as I remember it being.

Also, I'm guessing that this is a one and done for Goldberg?

As usual, the Monday Night Wars continues to be the only thing in wrestling history that actually mattered. I always wonder who is even left for them to drag back for the nostalgia pop. With ratings the way they are, you'd expect them to be shitting themselves and hot-shotting some guys to the top but instead, it's into the chequebook and back to the past. Again. The match will probably be morbidly fascinating and it may be cool to see Goldberg again but this, once again, is an indictment of how badly the current roster has been squandered where no one is even as believable match for Brock. Could you imagine Vince bringing in Bob Backlund to feud with Rock in 2000? That's what this is like in terms of the gap between Goldberg's peak and today.

How many times, after they are retired, are WWE going to bring back Randy Orton & John Cena for "one more match"?

I do agree that I would rather see Goldberg wrestle than Shane McMahon but I honestly don't want to see either against Brock Lesnar. That's just not appealing at all to me. I do still like Brock but he needs to be used to put over a full-time guy that WWE can build around. Same thing they should do with Goldberg if they bring him back. They need to make more stars for tomorrow.