Pro Wrestling Only

PWO 1988 - 1992 Draft Discussion

LowBlowPodcast

It's REALLY interesting watching everyone's rosters coming together. Some guys have had a pretty clear and obvious plan from the get-go. A couple of guys (Elliott and El Boricua) had me wondering at the start but as Matt D points out they were working with a plan all along and it's obviously coming together as we head into the 6-hour rounds. I am getting a real sense of how 12 of the 14 promotions are shaping up now.

I mean no offense to either dkookypunk or smartmark but those are the two promotions where, at this point, it seems like there is a ton of talent up and down the roster but I can't quite get a sense of how the pieces fit together just yet. I'm wondering if you guys are taking more of a "best available wrestler" approach to the draft and will figure out booking and style issues later... or if I am just too dumb to figure out where you are headed.

I'm very much looking forward to reading how people are going to book their shows. It's possible that my ideas of everyone's "clear and obvious plans" are totally mistaken. Maybe superkix is * actually * planning to book a comedy-style promotion!

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot of the observations made. I think Beast and myself have pretty similar thinking when it comes to booking so I always keep an eye out for who he's picking because they are usually on my list. I think on top I have a Macho King vs Ricky Steamboat main event with a One Man Gang semi main and a pretty good tag team encounter with Demolition and the Nasties or an early Hollywood Blonds team.

I am pumped to have picked up Razor who could be set for a big match with Tito who I think was a steal when I picked him up as he had a pretty good 1989 in the feud with Martel.

Obviously going for the bigtime New York type of promotion, with big physiques, charisma & starpower.

Main Event scene is Sting & Warrior vs. Luger & Sid, but both Luger & Sid lend themselves to be heels or faces based on the years drafted so there can be some angles there.

Undercard right now is Bossman, Jarrett, & the Rockers versus the Barbarian, Yokozuna, & SST as a Polynesian unit. Yokozuna may just be Great Kokina as that's what he was in NJPW the majority of the year. Depends on my final booking.

Doc/Takada main event title match

That is a great main event. I am all but certain they never had a singles match.

Looked on cage match. They faced off twice in tags. Akira Maeda & Nobuhiko Takada vs Rick Steiner & Steve Williams in NJPW in 87 looks like something I'd fantasy book.

The Doc/Owen Hart vs Takada & Inoki tag from '87 is a lot of fun.

I can't prove it, but I have a longstanding theory that shoot style would have been vastly better and would still be around today if it had retained pinfalls, so think of my promotion as UWFi + pins, or maybe just a shooty-er New Japan/70s NWA. Hence Williams/Takada, hence Steiners/Russians. I didn't realize how much competition I'd have for the shooters. Speaking of...

As of now, Vader/Maeda will headline and Liger/Fuchi is likely, as well as Hase/Fujiwara.

That sounds amazing. Is there a Hase/Fujiwara match out there? It seems like there should be but I don't remember ever seeing one.

I have some massive and not obvious plans. It's not going to be a weekly tv show with cards or anything. It will roll out with chapters and be a more huge over arching story.

Think of it more Harry Potter with the occasional quidditch match (wrestling match) leading to a big Voldemort fight at the end (the one and only super super show).

Some things to look forward to is Bobby Heenan making deals, Moon Quake helping The Islanders regain their powers, how will the Emperor react to this chaos and much more.

Obviously going for the bigtime New York type of promotion, with big physiques, charisma & starpower.

Main Event scene is Sting & Warrior vs. Luger & Sid, but both Luger & Sid lend themselves to be heels or faces based on the years drafted so there can be some angles there.

Undercard right now is Bossman, Jarrett, & the Rockers versus the Barbarian, Yokozuna, & SST as a Polynesian unit. Yokozuna may just be Great Kokina as that's what he was in NJPW the majority of the year. Depends on my final booking.

Barb, Yoko, and SST as the Island Mafia? Fuck yes.

As of now, Vader/Maeda will headline and Liger/Fuchi is likely, as well as Hase/Fujiwara.

That sounds amazing. Is there a Hase/Fujiwara match out there? It seems like there should be but I don't remember ever seeing one.

They had a couple of matches in 1993 in NJPW. I remember one of them being particularly fun...don't remember watching the other.

So I'm running 3 Super shows in the USSR in the spring/summer of 1989.

First show is going to be headlined by NWA champ Ric Flair vs Triple Crown Champion Tenryu for a match that will truly be deserving of 7 stars

with the semi main being a tag featuring Inoki, Fujinami, and Choshu against some Russian shooters

Second Show is a dual Main Event IWGP Champ Fujinami vs a Russian

Semi Main is a mixed styles match between Inoki and some Russian shooter

Third Show Main Event is Flair vs Fujinami

semi main is Russian Shooters challenging for IWGP tag titles

other semi main will be another Mixed styles fight with Inoki and some shooter