Pro Wrestling Only

Hall of Fame 2018

flyonthewall2983

Goldberg's legacy is also somewhat mixed. His time in the WWE was certainly not all roses. His actual in ring work is remembered in a variety of ways by fans. He was certainly a big star I am not saying he doesn't belong, but there isn't a clear narrative on him really. Heyman will be much better at articulating the WWE's narrative of Goldberg and spinning everything toward the positive than just about anyone else would. He is a talker, can work a crowd, and has clout with at least some segments of fans that might not think highly of Goldberg. Heyman is a safe pick.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't be the first time people reacted in a weird way to someone's inductor only to discover that the inductee themselves picked them (which almost always seems to be the case anyway).

Like Bob Backlund picking Maria Menounos.

But then there's Jerry Lawler wanting Lance Russell but getting William Shatner instead. (Kind of obvious why, but still.)

As for Backlund and Menounos, the WWE fans were in rare form that night - booing poor Maria off the stage and acting like savage embarrassments.

Wouldn't be the first time people reacted in a weird way to someone's inductor only to discover that the inductee themselves picked them (which almost always seems to be the case anyway). That's happened a lot over the years. With Goldberg, it's pretty well known that he didn't have many good memories of his first stints in the business and this last run in WWE did a lot to right those wrongs. He spoke about how happy he was that the Brock program worked so well and it was reported that Brock went out of his way to push for Goldberg to beat him in the way he did and so on. I'd imagine Goldberg interacted with Heyman a fair bit during that period and given that Brock's obviously not going to induct him, Heyman doing so probably makes a lot more sense than some people are saying.

Ding ding ding!

Mystery solved.

From a DigitalSpy.com interview with Paul Heyman himself (via Larry Csonka)...

I am inducting Goldberg because that was Bill Goldberg’s specific request to WWE. Bill Goldberg personally requested that I induct him into the Hall of Fame. I have such respect for Goldberg as so far the one person who has truly taken the fight to Brock Lesnar in WWE. I also got a chance to witness him behind the scenes as a man, a husband, a father and I have the utmost respect for him as a human being and am honored to be the one to encapsulate this moment for him and be the one to formally induct him into the Hall of Fame.

The following Legends are set to be inducted into the Legacy Wing, according to PWInsider:

* Lord Alfred Hayes

* Stan Stasiak

* Boris Malenko

* Dara Singh

* El Santo

* Cora Combs

* Jim Londos

* Rufus R. Jones

* Sputnik Monroe

Legacy wing im sorry all of these should have a full induction there should be no need for a legacy wing

Well, at least, they're in. All of those people have made an important contribution to pro wrestling. I'm really satisfied with this year's Legacy wing.

the fact there pushed to a side wing irks me all workers should be in the main wing that is just my view someone ike james dudly is the main wing of an HOF for pro wrestling and santo and lodos are not i hope you see my objections

Not sure if anyone's watching, but the Dudleys' speeches are very nice. Nothing remarkable or even any really noteworthy or hilarious stories, but its pretty nice to see how great a relationship they have with each other and how much they appreciate a number of folks in the business who helped them along the way, notably Tommy Dreamer. D-Von in particular seems very genuinely nice.