Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2018

El-P

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Womens rumble is a top 5 match of the year right now for me and the men's as top 10.

I actually don't have anything negative to say about either really, especially the women's rumble. I thought it was so much bigger and better than the sum of its parts that I really don't care if it wasn't "perfect" or if it was "sloppy" in places. What they accomplished on the whole exceeded that.

AJ Styles is not in the same universe as Shawn Michaels. People are sleeping on how great he was in TNA since the very beginning and despite Russo treating him like a joke. Quite frankly, at this point, if another GWE poll was to happen, I would have Styles as a sure Top 10. Top 5 maybe.

So I rewatched the women's Rumble. Loved it again. Accusation of sloppiness ? Because the men's Rumble don't have that ? Come on now, most of the guys don't know how the fuck to work around the ropes anyway, it's been the case for almost 20 years. Seriously, when you put everything in perspective (by that I mean the use of the old-timers making a comeback just for the occasion and filling a lot of the spots because of roster constraint), it was not only clearly one of the top tier Rumble, but simply one of the best ever. And Becky Lynch's performance there can't be praised enough.

AJ Styles can throw a convincing looking strike for one...

I loved the women's Rumble too but I did think the rolling out was a little excessive and can see why people didn't like it. My brother, who is a casual watcher, commented on it when we watched along this morning so I think it's more than just an incidental thing. But I still think it was an excellently laid out match with some really great performances which managed to convey lots of little internal stories (Beth and Nattie reuniting before Nattie turned on her, Sasha turning heel on Trish and Bayley, Nikki taking out her sister, Trish and Mickie, Trish cementing her position as a legend) within the larger narrative of celebrating the women of WWE going back around two decades.

I'd love to know who booked these Rumbles. There was talk about Pat Patterson being at the show. I wonder if he chipped in because there was a drastic improvement on the last four or five years.

I though Jackie was the Most impressive Legend in the Women's Rumble, I was always a fan of her but most of her career in WCW and WWE she faced men and I was never a fan of that even though she was the best in that role, then once she got to WWE she face mostly non wrestlers like Sable. When she finally got to have competitive matches she was basically putting over the other girls. I wish she was ten years ahead.

I'm mildly surprised that WWE allowed him to do the 619 after it literally killed a guy. Sure, it was a freak accident. But so was the Muscle Buster to Tyson Kidd.

What killed Perro Aguayo wasn't even the 619, dude. It was actually the dropkick he does to setup the move, which makes it the freakiest of freak accidents.

I just want Rey vs Rusev and Rey vs Cesaro tbh.

Rey vs ____ is a match that I want.

There just isn't anyone in the current roster that he couldn't have at least a solid match with. INCLUDING useless garbage like Bray Wyatt.

If Hardy doesn't go over Bray in their singles match then it just seemed no point doing Hardy's TNA gimmick of being Broken.

Twice now Bray has beaten him, once on Raw and eliminating him in the Rumble.

I don't think that's how fans perceive Rey though. He's a heavily featured WWE kid-centric guy.

Yep. All because of the 619.

The very nicest thing Stacey's ever done for me was let me take her #3 GWE pick and make the 619 rant instead of her.

http://placetobenation.com/parejas-increibles-7-greatest-wrester-ever-part-7-11-1/ (2:43:00 mark or so)

I'm sure she would have more of a potty mouth about it (and in listening back for the first time in a year and a half she follows with said potty mouth).

Blazing hot take: I swear a fucking lot.

I remember for like half a second feeling like "oh, OK, after you mate" and then it instantly evaporated when you made my own point way better and more eloquently than I ever could.

Good times.

Can't listen to podcasts right now. Could someone tell me what was said?

Anyway, there is more to it than just the 619. Even in his heyday, I remember a lot of Attitude Era fans disliking him for his clean-cut babyface character and him constantly being pushed as overcoming the odds like Cena was. Those same things also made him popular among kids and a huge merch seller, which looped back to making him an uncool guy online.

I saw it all the time. Similar to Cena with added "eww 619" thrown in, how he "panders" to kids and does all the same moves and shit like that.

He was unpopular on my pre-PWO board and nobody gave him credit as an all time worker.

Lets be greatful Vince booked Rey to win the Rumble in tribute to Eddie.

Could have been worse they could have just given it to Triple H.

I saw it all the time. Similar to Cena with added "eww 619" thrown in, how he "panders" to kids and does all the same moves and shit like that.

He was unpopular on my pre-PWO board and nobody gave him credit as an all time worker.

There’s literally a thread on the F4W Board right now entitled “Since When Did People Care About Rey Mysterio So Much?” The good thing is that the replies are practically all people saying “since about 1996.”

Yeah, somewhere else I infrequently post had people talking about how they didn't really like Rey within minutes of him coming out on Sunday. To me that's another example of The Narrative working people into a shoot - if Rey had been presented as a legend like Shawn or whatever people would treat him with a bit more reverential. Some of it is circumstantial too; injuries at the wrong time, the Bryan Rumble thing and also I think losing to Cena in that Raw title match actually. That made him look like a step below being a top guy.

But obviously he's still super popular and he would be viewed favourably by most if he came back for a featured run.

Yeah most love Rey, but there's a certain group in some 'smart' fan circles that is very anti-Rey, and I'm never seen anything more wrong in my life. Their issues with Rey usually come from the 619, connection with younger demographic, his height, 'not being realistic', his injuries, the way he's been booked, and all sorts of bullshit. They refuse to acknowledge not only Rey's all-time great in-ring work, but his impressive drawing ability. I remember being so annoyed at the post-WM30 RAW crowd booing Rey badly that night.

In my experience, so many casual fans I know seem to love Rey and think of him as a legend, it just seems to be a weird part of some niche internet circles that are anti-Rey.

To be fair, Rey got pretty stale for a while there and his constant injuries meant he was here today and gone tomorrow, which made it hard to emotionally invest in anything he was doing.

With that said, Rey's an all-time great without a doubt. And what's wrong with the 619? I like it. It's a fun, catchy move.