Pro Wrestling Only

Greatest Royal Rumble?

Flyin' Brian

It's the hypocrisy more than it is the decision to promote the show itself. If they want to do this, fine, but doing it while also doing videos about Black History Month, promoting breast cancer awareness, marketing a "women's revolution", and working with GLAAD is problematic. Jerry Jarrett doing this show wouldn't hit that nerve in the least because Memphis wrestling never even pretended to be run by good people. Fritz Von Erich ran shows named after his drug-overdosed kids and even used their deaths to get angles over and draw houses. Him doing it ... whatever. WWE has been perpetuating the cleaned-up-image con for years now, and then the truth comes out about who they really are -- whether it's Stephanie saying philanthropy is the new marketing, Bill DeMott and JBL taking the fall for bullying they were put up to by management, Brock's drug test failures being ignored because of his contract, or this. They don't care about taking a genuine stand on anything. So be it. I just wish they'd stop pretending.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I suggest it's possible to be fully aware of the cynical nature of how money makes the world work (especially in wrestling), and still feel skeeved that WWE is so eagerly whoring themselves out to a brutal regieme?

Agreed. There's a huge difference of scale between naming a battle Royal after Moolah or (worse) paying tribute to Jimmy Snuka and taking a huge amount of money and deliver an actual propaganga show for an awful regime (that has largely been responsible for the ideology behind current international terrorism). I said it before, in a way I felt like it was 1936 and I was watching the Berlin Olympics… "Beautiful Jedda, progressive city, such an honor to be there…" (vomit)

So, no, I won't be batting an eye at Raw, I won't watch Backlash, I'll probably miss Johnny Gargano next MOTYC. It's not even a matter of doing a grandstand moral demonstration. I'm not even an active customer of the company (haven't been in decades now). It's just that I feel rather disgusted by this showcase and there's already too much pro-wrestling out there if I want to binge watch I can have orgies of whatever I want without having to even touch current WWE (which in essence, I don't care for anyway, I like the regular really god matches, but the product is otherwise terrible).

I recently got back into watching 00's NOAH. Some really great stuff. NOAH was a cool company. Which was in bed with yakuzas really but… I mean… Not that bad... Ok fuck this world already.

Can I suggest it's possible to be fully aware of the cynical nature of how money makes the world work (especially in wrestling), and still feel skeeved that WWE is so eagerly whoring themselves out to a brutal regieme?

Agreed. There's a huge difference of scale between naming a battle Royal after Moolah or (worse) paying tribute to Jimmy Snuka and taking a huge amount of money and deliver an actual propaganga show for an awful regime (that has largely been responsible for the ideology behind current international terrorism). I said it before, in a way I felt like it was 1936 and I was watching the Berlin Olympics… "Beautiful Jedda, progressive city, such an honor to be there…" (vomit)

So, no, I won't be batting an eye at Raw, I won't watch Backlash, I'll probably miss Johnny Gargano next MOTYC. It's not even a matter of doing a grandstand moral demonstration. I'm not even an active customer of the company (haven't been in decades now). It's just that I feel rather disgusted by this showcase and there's already too much pro-wrestling out there if I want to binge watch I can have orgies of whatever I want without having to even touch current WWE (which in essence, I don't care for anyway, I like the regular really god matches, but the product is otherwise terrible).

I recently got back into watching 00's NOAH. Some really great stuff. NOAH was a cool company. Which was in bed with yakuzas really but… I mean… Not that bad... Ok fuck this world already.

At least the Berlin Olympics had Jesse Owens there to show Germany and the world that the Nazi's and the garbage they were spouting was a load of crap. I've been trying to watch parts of the show in my free time, just cherry picking what little I was interested in, but it's so hard to separate the wrestling from everything else when it's shoved right there in your face.

Apparently, WWE will be paying the women for the show anyway, even though they couldn't attend.

The issue was never about them not being paid though, right? Like, I don't think the women would be hurt from not being able to go, work & get paid. I would imagine they would be more hurt that WWE, in the middle of a women's revolution (at least they would lead you to believe), went in the first place. And then all that bullshit about "progressive change" went out the window with the apology the Saudi's issued on Twitter. WWE just has dirt on their face here & no amount of money was worth the damage they have done to the locker room & morale. Women getting paid or not, it's a really bad look. Especially to the movement that WWE has been steering a lot of their television around the last couple of years. It basically squandered all of that.

WWE are whores. Their solution is to give some of their money acquired to others to keep them quiet/make them happy...but I don't see how that's going to work. That's the opposite of a solution. WWE sold their roster out.

It's just going to leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

... You *do* get that they only started pushing and marketing their women more, BECAUSE it became trendy and could therefore earn them more money, right?

I mean, Stephanie didn't just arrive and instantly start "revolutionizing" shit. This became a real thing after Ronda became a huge, PROVEN box office draw elsewhere. WWE hasn't been at the forefront of any of this stuff, despite how much PR they do to get out in front of it after the fact.

WWE started pushing women when they realized it could create revenue. Why on earth is anyone surprised that they'd just as easily sideswipe that if more money is being offered?

Don't get me wrong. I fully understand everyone's frustrations with the hypocrisy of it all. But really, at this rate, what company have you been following all this time? You oughta know by now...

Ariya Daivari posted that he got death threats over the Iran vs Saudi Arabia angle he did with his brother on the show. Considering relations between those two countries could be described as "slightly less hostile than Iran vs America" this was not a smart thing to do on this show.

Come on, that's old school heat. Back in Mid South, they were getting death threats every of those days when they would sell out 8 days a week, ya know...

Yeah. Not smart. My jaw dropped when they actually did it, as I suggested Daivari would be the mega-heel in jest earlier in the day.

Ariya Daivari posted that he got death threats over the Iran vs Saudi Arabia angle he did with his brother on the show. Considering relations between those two countries could be described as "slightly less hostile than Iran vs America" this was not a smart thing to do on this show.

In this day and age im suprised. Its supposed to be entertainment after all, some fans go a bit over the top.

Still not as bad as the 70s and 80s when u hear stories of Piper or Funk getting stabbed.

Can anyone provide timestamps for Jinder's botch and Bryan getting his chest chopped up by Roddy?

Roderick/Danielson chopfest starts around 4 hours and 22 minutes into the show. 4:22:10 to be exact.

Mahal being a fool happens around the 1 hour and 11 minutes into the show. 1:11:59 give or take.

Thanks a lot!

On his latest podcast, Jim Ross was not on board with the idea of paying the women. On the rumors going around about the woman getting paid, Ross said, “I have no idea. I don’t know why it would be that way. It’s not everybody’s right to be on any card. You earn your right to be on the card, and the women have done a phenomenal job and I am as big a supporter of women’s athletics in general. Hey, I’m a season ticket holder to the OU women’s basketball games. I’m a big fan of the OU women’s softball team the defending national champions. So I’m a big fan. I believe the same thing about WrestleMania. It’s not your birthright to be booked. It’s like playing in the Super Bowl. It’s not your right as an NFL player, you earn that right to get in that game. So I believe that the women — I don’t know if they were paid or not. I don’t know why they would have been paid and I may piss some people off but I’m just being honest. It’s my problem I have sometimes, being honest.”