Pro Wrestling Only

Greatest Royal Rumble?

Flyin' Brian

That's fair.

I mean back to Finn, I don't know what the laws are exactly in KSA or how they're enforced, but I know I wouldn't want him to do something that would potentially have got him in trouble over there, legally or otherwise.

And again I think his motives are irrelevant because if he'd turned up to Gorilla in rainbow gear he would 100% have not been let through the curtain. I don't know what you expect him to have done differently in this situation.

From my perspective, for what it's worth, I don't question his heroism or his commitment to the issue.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fair.

I mean back to Finn, I don't know what the laws are exactly in KSA or how they're enforced, but I know I wouldn't want him to do something that would potentially have got him in trouble over there, legally or otherwise.

And again I think his motives are irrelevant because if he'd turned up to Gorilla in rainbow gear he would 100% have not been let through the curtain. I don't know what you expect him to have done differently in this situation.

From my perspective, for what it's worth, I don't question his heroism or his commitment to the issue.

I don't want to armchair this too much, but I think there are things he could have done other than demand to wear the new jacket out there, some of which I'd bet would have worked.

EDIT: At the very least, he knew this show was coming. He could have debuted the new gear at Backlash and dodged a lot of this. It'd have slightly less of an effect but everything gets drowned out at Mania anyway.

That's fair.

he is paper gay advocate then

I don't blame Finn, Whether he wanted to or not it's not like the company would have ever OKed him wearing it.

You start on that path and you can start blaming every single wrestler on the roster for working the show at all. And I don't think you can.

Not every wrestler made himself a symbol. The Moolah stuff was comparable. What really rankled wasnt necessarily the company lionizing her as much as them having all of the current talent, who tend to stand for something very much the opposite, do it.

But again, do you blame the girls for that, or do you blame the company for making them do it?

Like, honestly I think regardless of what those individual women know or think about Moolah, those interviews are happening either way. They don't get to have opinions when they go against WWE. Same deal here. Any of those guys from Sami on down can have their own thoughts about Saudi Arabia and the political issues, and I'm sure they do. None of those opinions are ever going to make it to air or in public on the record. We get propaganda videos. We get company line.

I certainly blame Bayley or Sasha more than I do a Liv Morgan, because the former represent something and have sort of made their career as doing as such and influence a relatively young fanbase as such. They also probably have a little more stroke. At some point you have to decide what you stand for and what you want to want to promote and to have your voice used to validate. I do too. You do too. We just have a lot less of a reach. No one HAS to be a hero, but you can't be one on day A and not on day B (especially when day B is undeniably harder) without it affecting your reputation and legacy. You can't have it both ways. That's not how life works.

I doubt Sasha (Who I can't imagine gives thought things not directly affecting her) and Bayley know how Moolah treated talent. Talent in general seem to take the "Well they did not have to take the deal" stance.

Do the Saudis even know what the rainbow means?

I'd rather not comment on WWE doing the show there at the moment, but I watched that show and seriously thought there was a real chance that the CIA has assets in WWE. I also considered the possibility that this was a well-disguised trip funded by the State Department.

I'd rather not comment on WWE doing the show there at the moment, but I watched that show and seriously thought there was a real chance that the CIA has assets in WWE. I also considered the possibility that this was a well-disguised trip funded by the State Department.

this could be true

That's fair.

It's really easy to be brave about an issue when you aren't the one that's going to face potential consequences for it.

That's fair.

And again I think his motives are irrelevant because if he'd turned up to Gorilla in rainbow gear he would 100% have not been let through the curtain. I don't know what you expect him to have done differently in this situation.o

It's really easy to be brave about an issue when you aren't the one that's going to face potential consequences for it.

ever hear of Cointelpro the left wing advocates and black right an d alike were persecuted by us state but they stood up look at Gahdi Blacks in Rhodesia the innocent massacred in Soweto the still fought on look at the Catalans under occupations centuries and still fighting vs the fascist Castalins these were/are brave people saying o you stand for something them when it gets difficult you suddenly say forget that im sorry i lose all respect for you

I just feel like, out of this entire shitshow, if Finn is the one you're really mad at in this situation...it feels like misdirected anger.

Ultimately, you're 100% right on a scale of degrees, but it's also an expectation gap. I don't hold WWE to any meaningful standards because it's forever disappointing. Now, someone who's otherwise earned some respect? That's different.

I think you might be onto something here, Loss.

And people had the nerve to suggest this was fiction...

cEjPb5L.jpg

December 2001: Vince McMahon steps out of a snowy night into a diner in upstate New York for a meeting with old friend Phil Thomson, now a highly placed government official. Thomson has a strange proposition: creating a new covert black-ops group using the Superstars of World Wrestling Entertainment. The WWE's talented men and women are perfect. Highly skilled athletes with the ideal cover, they travel all across the country and the globe; no one would find it unusual to find them in a town one day and gone the next. The government would train and support the wrestlers in every way possible except one: no one must know the truth. March 2006: The Superstars have been handed their latest assignment - take down a commercial-grade methyl-amphetamine plant that is bankrolling terrorist activities in Europe. Their mission seems simple and straightforward, until a member of their team is taken prisoner. Now all that they've worked so hard for is in jeopardy, and one of their own might be killed . . .

https://smile.amazon.com/Big-Apple-Takedown-Rudy-Josephs-ebook/dp/B00486U2OG/

The reported money for this show was (IIRC) $25 million? That's chump change to the Saudis - their national oil company, Aramco, made $33 billion in the first six months of 2017. The State Department almost certainly approves but I really doubt if they're involved.

A source told us that Vince McMahon was almost in tears because he was laughing so hard and he made the call for the production team to show the replay several times. In the past, especially if the botch was by a top talent, they would avoid it and move on as if nothing happened but McMahon could not resist this time.

http://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/vince-mcmahons-reaction-to-titus-oneils-epic-botch-at-the-greatest-royal-rumble

Like I saw on twitter, Titus is going to slide all the way to the bank with this one.

Somehow already watched much of a five hour show, but jumped around a bit, and haven't read anything. Initial thoughts:

- I watched the opener at the Austin, TX airport on my ipad, with no sound, and let out an audible laugh when HHH's music hit. With how the card looked, it made sense to dump that match there, but was still funny. Can't imagine I'll ever rewatch the match, but my takeaway was three words: slow mo wrestling.

- Look, we're well past the point that if you want to avoid spoilers of anything with even a minor degree of popularity, you need to avoid all social media, not just the accounts you know would reference the event or story. That's hard enough, but it's another goddamn thing when you open the google app on your phone to search for something random and the first google news story that automatically pops up is 'greatest royal rumble braun strowman'. It didn't ruin the event, but it's just so frustrating. I fortunately was able to squeeze in an 11:30 am showing of Infinity War yesterday while technically on a work trip. That's the bullshit you need to do in 2018.

- The Titus thing was funny, but also felt a bit like punching down.

- This would be no surprise, but the entry times varied wildly, yes?

- Great to see the Usos and BBs have an actual match rather than a sprint squash.

- Double seemed like the right move for Styles/Nak. Also seemed like a much better match than Wrestlemania, but I haven't revisited the latter and my opinion could still be the result of WM fatigue.

- Enjoyed Saxton referencing the Royal Rumble 1994 casket match. It remains canon!

- Hated the Lesnar/Reigns match, but was totally on board with the finish (if botched a little with the feet thing). At times it was tough to analyze the event given it really was just a glorified house show, but with a lot of hype and a live showing on the network. If you were going to book that match and not have Reigns win, the finish felt like one of the only ways to come out of it without it being another disaster.

I'm going to steer clear of the political stuff for the moment.

Regarding Lashley being "not over enough" to challenge Brock on PPV, I have to disagree. I don't know if it's just a case of different circles or what, but Bobby's over like rover with the casual fans I talk to and hear from in my neck of the woods.

Since Mania, it's basically been all about Bobby and Braun. And nobody else. No buzz on Brock, Roman, or anyone else.

So yeah. Maybe Lashley isn't lighting wrestling twitter on fire or something. I wouldn't know. But, in the real world and among some of the casuals, he appears to be fresh and new again. Might as well run with that and book him up against Brock while it could still mean something.

The wrestling twitter world isn't going anywhere anyway. It's proven. They literally hung around through 7 or 8 months of Jinder fucking Mahal on top.

Lashley in a main event ain't chasing 'em away, I assure you.

If they do go Brock > Braun, I think it's a good idea to call up guys like Lars Sullivan, Keith Lee, and Killian Dain. It's also times like this when you realize how their lack of focused undercard booking hurts them, because there's no good reason that in theory, Braun Strowman vs Luke Harper shouldn't be a viable main event.

The wrestling twitter world isn't going anywhere anyway. It's proven. They literally hung around through 7 or 8 months of Jinder fucking Mahal on top.

Just like here. The Wrestlemania 35 live thread will heavily feature El-P content/complaints, with several hot tags into shodate.

The KSA sports authority sent out a release apologizing for an ad that aired during the show that apparently featured women. Also it mentioned that they made it clear to WWE that nothing involving women wrestling would be allowed either on the show or in advertising.

But keep changing those minds, Paul.

The KSA sports authority sent out a release apologizing for an ad that aired during the show that apparently featured women. Also it mentioned that they made it clear to WWE that nothing involving women wrestling would be allowed either on the show or in advertising.

https://twitter.com/gsaksa/status/990138814193721344

There's video from in the arena. It's that godawful ad of them all singing

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/990292820308049920

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/990297310486609920t's also

Also been picked up by the BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43934934

♫ We want the best of the best of the best. That feeling of heart beatin' out of our chest. ♫

♫ We're not afraid of dreaming big. We're not afraid to bring the fight. ♫

♫ Wanted the best of both worlds. And it starts here tonight. ♫

Fitting lyrics. :)