Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

with all their international tv deals I think they'll limp along for a while, and if they can't find tv go online in the states. they might actually get better advertisers that way, and the ad revenue would be pure profit for them. I assume the DA deal was like WWE has now and the station got all the ad revenue and paid a fixed rate for the shows, which is why they're so quick to drop it now

honestly though, as much as I rip on TNA for their years of stupidity, I think DA looks pretty stupid here. The problem attracting advertisers is that you're Destination America, a 3rd rate cable channel nobody gets or watches, that's populated with ghost and bigfoot crap. What were they expecting?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know a big thing is made by TNA about their TV coverage here in the UK, being available in 95% of homes and all, but I do wonder how much they're actually getting paid? It can't be that much, as Challenge is a low budget channel. Other than TNA all it shows are old repeats of Game Shows from the 80s and 90s which are going to be cheap as fuck to show. I'd imagine their deal in India is probably pretty good, but I'd wager the deal with Challenge is better for exposure than remuneration.

with all their international tv deals I think they'll limp along for a while, and if they can't find tv go online in the states. they might actually get better advertisers that way, and the ad revenue would be pure profit for them. I assume the DA deal was like WWE has now and the station got all the ad revenue and paid a fixed rate for the shows, which is why they're so quick to drop it now

honestly though, as much as I rip on TNA for their years of stupidity, I think DA looks pretty stupid here. The problem attracting advertisers is that you're Destination America, a 3rd rate cable channel nobody gets or watches, that's populated with ghost and bigfoot crap. What were they expecting?

Most of their regular advertisers specifically asked to NOT have their ads run during iMPACT. They aren't struggling to sell ads for BBQ Pitmasters or Psychic Bigfoot.

Eric Bischoff, son Garett Bischoff, a former TNA wrestler, and Eric's longtime business partner Jason Hevery have filed a lawsuit for $114,500.02 against TNA Entertainment for unpaid money.

The story, reported by Prowrestling.net today, states that TNA owes Bischoff/Hervey Enterprises, their company, $101,500 in unpaid money covering the months January through March of this year. They are also asking for attorney fees.

The lawsuit claimed that BHE was to receive $426,800 per year from TNA for Hervey and Bischoff working as Executive Producers.

Garett Bischoff's contract with TNA was for $26,000 per year as base pay and $500 per match or appearance. He is asking for $13,000.02 in unpaid salary from October 2014 until March 2015, when his contract with the promotion expired.

The lawsuit stated all three were paid in full through the end of September and had not been paid since, and their lawyers contacted TNA in November. BHE was paid $101,500 before the end of last year to rectify the late payment covering October through December, but had not been paid since.

WO/F4W frontpage

If this had been during a different time period, I might feel some joy at TNA seemingly being in it's death throes. As it is, I actually think their current product is legitimately a good wrestling show and I like quite a few of the people on the roster right now.

If TNA is dying I hope GFW sticks around long enough that we get some Drew Gallows vs. Chris Masters matches.

Is there any real value in the tape library? I couldn't see it being a major draw to the network, just bits and bobs for filler on Sting or Kurt Angle DVDs. If Vince were to buy it any price higher than peanuts is a rip off.

It's probably more valuable than any tape library they've bought other than the WCW and ECW ones. I'm sure WWE will try to pick it up cheap in a fire sale. With the death of the DVD business, it's pretty much worthless to anyone else today.

Not sure I understand the value in TNA's tape library since most of it is available commercially. I dont think it holds any value to the network or Sting DVD's and I do not want to go back and binge watch Impact. The appeal of WWE picking up Mid-South, World Class, etc, is that the stuff isn't easy to come by unless you're the hardest of the hardcore.

I don't know anything about number of discs sold but WWE got DVD releases out of the Mid South, World Class and AWA tape libraries. Matches from those libraries have completed important pre-WWF career gaps on the DVDs of people like Hennig, Road Warriors, Warrior and most recently Jerry Lawler.

What's the value of the TNA library other than inconsequential filler on a future Kurt Angle DVD? Or Rob Van Dam? Maybe I'm forgetting somebody else but I can't see them releasing another Hardys or Sting DVD for a while, never mind CM Punk.

People aren't watching the old historical footage on the WWE Network, and if they do it tends to be the more modern stuff. That sucks I know, but I'm guessing the old TNA pay-per-views and Impacts because they're more recent would have more interest than anything else they have in their library, pre Attitude Era.

If TNA does go out of business, then a few of their best hands will most likely be picked up by NXT, adding extra value to the footage. Plus, the bragging rights of buying out your main competitor will likely count for a lot too. It could also be positioned as a Triple H deal and anything that puts over the heir apparent's ambition and business savvy is something WWE is likely to jump all over on.

Well now I guess we know why Bobby Roode was backstage at ROH last weekend. I guess Roode , Eddie Edwards and Austin Aries could get spots in ROH . I know Aries had heat with ROH , but he is a money draw. Maybe Matt Hardy .

Richards and King will never get booked by anyone but Jarrett. Richards burned every bridge he ever crossed. I guess the rest of them will be picked up by Jarrett , go to the indies or leave the businesss. Should be an interesting process to watch . Damn glad I am not living it . Hate to see anyone lose their job .

Richards has already been back working with Gabe in EVOLVE, bridges are always being rebuilt in pro wrestling.

People aren't watching the old historical footage on the WWE Network, and if they do it tends to be the more modern stuff. That sucks I know, but I'm guessing the old TNA pay-per-views and Impacts because they're more recent would have more interest than anything else they have in their library, pre Attitude Era.

If TNA does go out of business, then a few of their best hands will most likely be picked up by NXT, adding extra value to the footage. Plus, the bragging rights of buying out your main competitor will likely count for a lot too. It could also be positioned as a Triple H deal and anything that puts over the heir apparent's ambition and business savvy is something WWE is likely to jump all over on.

I truly can't fathom this ending up being the case re: People watching TNA over anything pre Attitude Era. I get a recency bias but that seems a strong. Though I don't know how many people are watching NXT either. But I'd guess that it'd be maybe a quarter of NXT audience on the high end that would watch it. And that would essentially be for Joe since that is the one TNA talent they have and seemingly will have unless I am missing where TNA talent goes to NXT. Can't think of who they would want from there. Would they care about Austin Aries?

I can understand the H-Man play I suppos.

Does TNA have the 2nd most valuable tape library in USA outside of WWE? Honest question. I think it is self-evident that ROH's blows it out of the water.

A nice blend of recognisable stars and exciting, homegrown talent? Check.

A benefactor with more money than sense whose willing to finance the company beyond belief? Check.

A national TV deal with good exposure and the potential to attract a significant fan base? Check.

TNA had everything. Everything. At points they were a competent booker away from presenting, at the very least, a modicum of opposition towards the WWE. It really is incredible how badly they've blown such a great opportunity, an opportunity another wrestling promotion may not get for a long, long time. When September rolls around and TNA (hopefully) shuts its doors for the last time, this thread can close safe in the knowledge that its original question has reached a definitive conclusion - YES. TNA is, without doubt, the worst wrestling promotion of all time.

Does TNA have the 2nd most valuable tape library in USA outside of WWE? Honest question. I think it is self-evident that ROH's blows it out of the water.

If one single person actually owns the Memphis tape library, I would imagine that is more valuable than TNA's tape library. Even with WWE's issues with getting people to watch older footage on the Network, their ability to do a really good Jerry Lawler DVD probably blows away their ability to put together a TNA DVD that would make "The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior" look downright even-handed.

I truly can't fathom this ending up being the case re: People watching TNA over anything pre Attitude Era. I get a recency bias but that seems a strong. Though I don't know how many people are watching NXT either. But I'd guess that it'd be maybe a quarter of NXT audience on the high end that would watch it. And that would essentially be for Joe since that is the one TNA talent they have and seemingly will have unless I am missing where TNA talent goes to NXT. Can't think of who they would want from there. Would they care about Austin Aries?

I can understand the H-Man play I suppos.

Should Daniel Bryan have to retire, the ROH library would allow WWE to release a complete career retrospective 3 or 4 DVD set.

That thing alone makes the ROH library more valuable than the TNA tapes.

Memphis may have been more valuable than TNA but the Lawler DVD is already out. I could still see them someday releasing a Memphis DVD similar to the WCCW or AWA releases.

There's an interesting/hilarious report from the latest Voices of Wrestling podcast concerning TNA. Apparently Dixie Carter sent an email out calling Destination America "dummies"....then accidentally CC'd the email to the PRESIDENT OF DESTINATION AMERICA. Unbelievable. And they're saying this may have happened before the decision to cancel them. Déjà vu.