Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most people would say the wolves/hardys/team 3d matches, though I thought those were pretty good at best. Eric Young had some fun title defenses during his reign but nothing must see. Probably the best matches I saw were the Gunner v. Storm brawls, Aries v. Lashley, The 2 Lashley v. Roode matches (good but overrated) and the triple threat cage match with EY, Aries and Lashley.

Yeah. Dylan pretty much touched on most of 'em...

For me, personally, I thought the absolute best of the Hardys/Wolves/3D saga came BEFORE they ever actually kicked off the official series. The straightforward Dudleys/Hardys match from Impact, right before the series, was - for my money - the best thing they put together. The finishing stretch is really hot, and it kind of strums the same notes as the awesome Briscoes/Hardys match in OMEGA. Nowhere near the same level of steam, 'cause both teams are doing babyface shtick & there's that absence of Jay Briscoe just piling on the heat... but still, it was solid enough to stand head & shoulders above the rest of the 2014 tag series for me.

Far as the actual Hardys/3D/Wolves trilogy goes, I think both the original Triple Threat & the Full Metal Mayhem matches are worth scoping out. No, they aren't the original TLCs, but they've got a similar vibe. One's a chaotic scramble & the other's a fun garbage brawl with a couple of cool spots mixed in - like an "accidental" assist on a Dudley Death Drop, the usual INSANE Jeff Hardy bump, etc.

The Tables Match can be skipped entirely though. Just a plodding, paint-by-numbers affair to set up one spot & then the next, and then the next... and so on, until they reach the end-game there.

Eric Young had a great World Title defense against Bobby Roode on Impact. His Slammiversary (Steel Cage) defense against Lashley & Aries ain't too shabby neither.

Gunner vs. Storm had a real underrated rivalry, in my opinion. Both the Last Man Standing & I Quit Matches are violent, vicious, and worked with a heightened sense of urgency & aggression. I honestly haven't gone back to see how well they hold up, but I remember REALLY liking them at the time. There's an abundance of blood and some sick spots with chairs & stairs thrown in there, so yeah. I'm willing to be they're still worth the watch.

Lashley's World Title defense against Aries on the (Destination X?) episode of Impact from Manhattan was TREEEEMENDOUS. There's some great dives, killer strikes, and wicked bumps by Aries in that one. He plays the perfect cat & mouse game with Lashley and really helped to first turn my opinion around on ole Bobby last year.

Lashley's matches with Roode are pretty good, too. I didn't realize how they were rated in the first place, so I never realized they were being overrated anywhere. They're nothing spectacular, for sure. But they're worked well, and it's honestly some of the best treatment they've given to their World Championship since the Aries/Roode series in 2012. So I enjoyed 'em.

Oh, and there's a decent single title defense against Hardy, with Jeff taking (yet another) dangerous flat-back bump on the steel steps.

I doubt it makes anyone else's list, but since the pool is still kind of shallow as far as a "Best of TNA 2014" goes... I'll offer up Magnus vs. Samoa Joe from Lockdown. No, it's nothing extraordinary - but again, it's a smartly executed match that plays to the parts & strengths of both guys. There's some stiff strikes, some snug submissions, and generally just a good story being told. But then comes the deflating finish, which is really what took it down a lot for me in the end.

For just a bit of variety...

Gail Kim vs. Madison Rayne from Lockdown is decent. Another one that might be a bit harder to find is their one-on-one rematch at the One Night Only crossover with Wrestle-1 (from Japan!). It's a better straightforward match, and Madison looks like she nearly breaks her freaking neck a couple of times.

The Tigre Uno debut against Manik at Lockdown is supremely fun. It's just a quick sprint, but it put him over big and stood out enough for me to still remember it here. Again, just tossing stuff out there, since the list isn't too long anyhow.

I haven't seen any TNA in years, but tonight I watched some on You Tube. I caught a very recent interview Mike Tenay did with James Storm.

Is it just me...or are they trying to do some bearded cult leader thing with him? It really came off like a sad attempt to copy Bray Wyatt but I hope I`m wrong. They couldn`t be that sad and obvious, could they?

I wouldn't think it would be that hard for someone to do a Kevin Sullivan rip-off that's better than Bray. As much as I kind of shit on Sulivan's promos for constantly going on about trips to Singapore and Abuddadein at least there was usually a point SOMEWHERE in what he had to say. Bray never seems like he's actually SAYING anything, just talking.

Here's my issue...

There's no argument whatsoever that WWE is the #1 and only source for Pro Wrestling right now in North America. The only "alternatives" for any wrestling fan who still wants to watch wrestling, but gets sick of WWE, is either ROH or TNA.

So let's say you're a WWE fan who looks up TNA for the first time. You see a guy with dark hair and a beard, giving a rambling "prophet like" promo, and he has a stable of guys who "follow" him. That screams Bray Wyatt imitation to me. If I'm a WWE fan who sees that, I doubt that will do much to sell TNA to me as an alternative - just like having Eric Young with his epic beard win the World Heavyweight Championship doing the classic underdog gimmick - at the exact same time WWE was doing it with Daniel Bryan.

To me, it makes TNA look like a cheap copy of WWE, not an alternative.

We have been having this same discussion in the Hall of Fame thread about Demolition being LOD knock-offs. In that thread, Loss made the point that even Ric Flair was a copy of Buddy Rogers - in wrestling everybody uses somebody else's gimmick to some degree. Hogan stole some of Billy Graham and Jesse Ventura's gimmicks, the list goes on and on.

I don't disagree that James Storm is just as much a Kevin Sullivan imitation - but the problem is that when the #1 promotion in the world already has a underdog with an epic beard, or a crazy cult leader type, it's probably not a good idea to do anything even remotely similar if you want to come across as fresh, new, or especially an alternative.

I like stuff like the X Division and the Six Sided Ring because at least it differentiates TNA from WWE. I also like the fact that a bunch of guys on their roster are new faces from places like the UK. Otherwise they may as well be: "Watch TNA: We have characters who either were in WWE or are vaguely like the characters you can see in WWE - only not as good!"

Here's my issue...

There's no argument whatsoever that WWE is the #1 and only source for Pro Wrestling right now in North America.

There's a lot about that statement I disagree with. There's no arguing WWE is the #1 company, but that's in terms of exposure and finances. In terms of being the only source for pro wrestling in North America, well, that ignores the indies in America, Mexico, and Canada. It ignores CMLL, AAA, and Lucha Underground. It ignores Ring of Honor. It even ignores NXT, which may be WWE's developmental territory, but is a distinct product all its own. WWE may be the #1 company, but they aren't the only company, and there's a lot of great pro wrestling in North America, some of which isn't hard to find.

Here's my issue...

There's no argument whatsoever that WWE is the #1 and only source for Pro Wrestling right now in North America.

There's a lot about that statement I disagree with. There's no arguing WWE is the #1 company, but that's in terms of exposure and finances. In terms of being the only source for pro wrestling in North America, well, that ignores the indies in America, Mexico, and Canada. It ignores CMLL, AAA, and Lucha Underground. It ignores Ring of Honor. It even ignores NXT, which may be WWE's developmental territory, but is a distinct product all its own. WWE may be the #1 company, but they aren't the only company, and there's a lot of great pro wrestling in North America, some of which isn't hard to find.

I concede your point, my statement was poorly worded. I meant to imply that WWE is the most well known and easily accessible source for Pro Wrestling for the average consumer, and that for the standard fan looking for Pro Wrestling, the most obvious choice would be WWE. I should not have said "only" source, that was dumb.

Here's my issue...

I concede your point, my statement was poorly worded. I meant to imply that WWE is the most well known and easily accessible source for Pro Wrestling for the average consumer, and that for the standard fan looking for Pro Wrestling, the most obvious choice would be WWE. I should not have said "only" source, that was dumb.

WWE is about the only entry-level promotion available for new potential viewers, though. WWE is the only promotion available that has viewing options that are on mainstream English-language cable outlets at desirable viewing times. Otherwise, you have to generally look on syndication in off-hours (ROH), or the cable/satellite hinterlands (TNA, Lucha Underground, NJPW). There are plenty of alternatives for the dedicated wrestling fan, not much for creating potential new fans.

TNA reportedly offered Alberto El Patron nearly half a million dollars to jump on board. According to Dave Meltzer El Patron was offered $400,000 for “minimal dates” to sign with the promotion.

It was previously reported that TNA made the contract offer to get El Patron on their premiere of Destination America. He turned them down and is working with ROH and Lucha Underground now. Meltzer noted, “It says more about the perception in the industry that TNA is a career killer.”

If that is true? Wow. Dixie is basically being told somebody would rather work for ROH and Lucha Underground than TNA.

Weren't the girls who worked there a few years ago forced to have another dayjob because the pay was so shitty for them, despite getting the best ratings on TV ?

This has been the case for many, and I know one of their mid-card guys, Jesse Sorenson I believe, said he started working at Walmart in an entry position and is making more than he did at TNA.

You can't take bucket list stuff with you, you can't take 5 star matches with you. Someday when my future kid needs a car or something do you think the fact that I was New Japan's youngest gaijin ever will help me get better credit or a loan? Do you think a grocery store accepts Super jr matches and 5 star Arena Mexico sellouts as currency?

I liked what TJ Perkins had to say. I have no idea how much money he is or isn't making in TNA, but I do see a lot of silly things on the internet where some people really don't understand the point for a pro wrestler should be to make the most money he can not find the promotion where he can be "booked the best" regardless of whether that promotion is paying good money or not.

I missed the first Impact on Destination America (stupid DVR), but the second episode I thought was good in terms of actual wrestling. TNA does have a really good group of guys on their roster, and it may be just something different after 5 hours of same looking WWE programming, it was a refreshing change.

Production is kind of awful of course, I do kind of like the new "take you behind the scenes" concept since it at least finally explains why the Invisible Cameraman of Doom is always backstage, but the ring is so dark it reminds you of 1991 AWA shows. It looked like they had a decent crowd too, not sure why they had to keep them all in the dark.

I just shook my head when I read that.

How does a situation like that even occur?

- Victoria spent her own money promoting the show, yet another Knockout was used in the ads, and Dixie's ditzy response was, "Yeah, I heard," as if she had no control over it? (Which maybe she didn't, if she's as incompetent as this story makes her seem?)

- They end up promoting another pizza place that isn't Victoria's. How/why does that even happen? Mistake, malice, incompetence...what?

The more I learn about Dixie Carter, the more I suspect she may be functionally retarded.

My latest favorite is this gem...

Dixie Carter on the one thing she would change from her past in TNA: “Oh wow, I’ve never been asked that question before! I think the thing I would change would be to realise that just because someone’s been in this business a long time, doesn’t mean that they have the magic silver bullet that’s going to change everything. People who’ve been doing this successfully in the past, and their experience, doesn’t necessarily mean that that will work today. Times have changed, viewing habits have changed, social media has changed so much about the world we live in today, and how we experience life. I think I would have not put so much stock in that, and would have looked beyond for fresher outside ideas earlier.”

Translation: "Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff screwed me and I just figured it out."

Here's one question I bet she does get asked all the time, by her family: "What the fuck did you do with all of our money?"

The more I learn about Dixie Carter, the more I suspect she may be functionally retarded.

My latest favorite is this gem...

Dixie Carter on the one thing she would change from her past in TNA: “Oh wow, I’ve never been asked that question before! I think the thing I would change would be to realise that just because someone’s been in this business a long time, doesn’t mean that they have the magic silver bullet that’s going to change everything. People who’ve been doing this successfully in the past, and their experience, doesn’t necessarily mean that that will work today. Times have changed, viewing habits have changed, social media has changed so much about the world we live in today, and how we experience life. I think I would have not put so much stock in that, and would have looked beyond for fresher outside ideas earlier.”

Translation: "Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff screwed me and I just figured it out."

Here's one question I bet she does get asked all the time, by her family: "What the fuck did you do with all of our money?"

lol nothing she says there is wrong.....but functionally retarded is a nice way to put it....

I wasn't even thinking of Hogan and Bischoff......but the years of Russo off and on.....ugh